You shouldn't do that Mummy!

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beauty's sulking because I've had to scruff her to get her ear drops in (she was struggling that much)

I know having them in hurts her ears, so that's why she's going where she's going tomorrow evening.
I just hope I can catch her tomorrow to take her to the you-know-where!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ear drops are never fun for a cat... Good luck with getting Beauty to the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Ear drops are never fun for a cat... Good luck with getting Beauty to the vet!
I hope I did right to scruff her? I know it doesn't hurt cats to be scruffed but I don't like scruffing her!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

I hope I did right to scruff her? I know it doesn't hurt cats to be scruffed but I don't like scruffing her!
Sometimes you have to do things kitties don't like...you did good even though Beauty didn't like it...

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Sometimes you have to do things kitties don't like...you did good even though Beauty didn't like it...
I managed to get one ear done without scruffing her, but the other one she fought all the way! I think that one's her worst ear.

I'm hoping it's just ear mites but for all I know it could be an ear infection

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I managed to get one ear done without scruffing her, but the other one she fought all the way! I think that one's her worst ear.

I'm hoping it's just ear mites but for all I know it could be an ear infection
Good thing she is going to the vet then! Hopefully its nothing serious!!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hopefully it's ear mites!
Our girl Sasha just went through having ear mites...
She went to the vet & now those little buggers are all gone!!

Hopefully Beauty just has ear mites
Hang in there Beauty!!!!

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's outside seeing her boyfriend now.

If it's ear mites I hope she doesn't pass them on to him!

(I think they can pass ear mites to each other, can't they?)

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emma,

What is scruffing? Is it when you pick up Beauty by the scruff of her neck? If it doesn't, does it mean that you have to anchor Beauty between your legs to put the ear drops in? I think that most of us have had to do that. Tell Beauty that Butzie let me put on that flea medicine this month without any complaints!

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Emma,

What is scruffing? Is it when you pick up Beauty by the scruff of her neck? If it doesn't, does it mean that you have to anchor Beauty between your legs to put the ear drops in? I think that most of us have had to do that. Tell Beauty that Butzie let me put on that flea medicine this month without any complaints!
It's when you get hold of a cat by the scruff of it's neck (you know like queens do to their kittens in order to move them? That's scruffing.)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes it's tough being mom (or dad) to kitties - but it's the right thing to do!

Glad she's going to the you-know-what so she'll get the right treatment for whatever the problem is.

Laurie

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wrap Scooter in a comforter if possible before cleaning his ears. I scruff him once I get him wrapped just for position. I never pick him up by his scruff, though, just hold him.

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh thank god I thought I was the only one that cleans my cats ears...phew thats a load of my mind. Tomnus once had ear mites(when I first brought him home) and I actually had to clean them out about two or three times a day...he hated it but now I can get him into positon no problem. I just lay him on his side on my thigh, and I only do this about once a month so he doesn't get it to bad. He does try to scratch my arm though when I go in with the cotton ball.

If your getting thick black discharge then its going to be ear mites. His case was really bad it took the doctor like 8-10 swabs to get his ears clean. And there were a few pretty bad cuts that he had to clean(from tom scratching all the time). He's fine now though and they haven't come back.

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet had a look and it's a nasty brown discharge, he said that means it's an infection (not ear wax or anything like that)

She's got non-alcohol based ear drops to have in twice a day.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i thought scruffing released endorphins to cats? or is that just when they are kittens?

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

i thought scruffing released endorphins to cats? or is that just when they are kittens?
Scruffing keeps them still so when their mum is carrying them they don't whack her in the face when she's carrying them to a new place.