Angry, sad but trying to be rational

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at the Shelter today and working with Galipette who lay purring and let me cut matts off her for over 20 minutes, when someone came into the room and said that four newborns had just been brought in, because their mother had been killed. I expressed horror and sympathy but did not stop what I was doing, as I did not know how long Galipette would co-operate.

When I finally went to the office I asked about the kittens and where they were. I was told they were already on their way to the vet to be PTS! I was thunderstruck, but the Director said they were too young, eyes not opened, and she had no-one who could care for them. This shelter says it is no-kill, except for exceptional reasons, and apparently this is one of them. I said that I would have taken them and at least tried, but it was too late.

I am trying to be sensible and I know we cannot save them all, and the Shelter is very good with older cats - there are several who have been there years, and will never be adopted. But it seems so sad.

Anyway, I have said I will take the next litter to come in if there is no-one else who can look after them. There seem to be plenty of people willing to adopt kittens of 8 weeks and above, so I will give some poor mites a chance at life.

So a careless driver has killed a whole family. And that makes me mad.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we would all feel as you do Jenny. Sometimes we just have to believe that things happen for a reason and there was a reason these dear babies weren't to be spared. Perhaps they weren't as healthy as they appeared - heaven only knows.

Anyway, sending hugs and warm wishes to warm your heart.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
While I understand the shelter's reasoning, it's understandable that you'd be very upset. The poor mites never got a chance.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very sad.
I would probably feel the same as you. I wish they could all be saved.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I think we would all feel as you do Jenny. Sometimes we just have to believe that things happen for a reason and there was a reason these dear babies weren't to be spared. Perhaps they weren't as healthy as they appeared - heaven only knows.

Anyway, sending hugs and warm wishes to warm your heart.
It truly is sad, Jenny.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Jenny - I have just gone thru something very similar - my 5 fosters were taken to the shelter because of a misunderstanding, and because they were so young (approx. 5-1/2 weeks) they were PTS

At least your babies are playing with mine now, frisking over RB, scampering with butterflies. And your babies are reunited with their mama-kitty now...Play happily over RB, little kitties

For us, we have the empty arms, the willing hearts

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

I have just gone thru something very similar - my 5 fosters were taken to the shelter because of a misunderstanding, and because they were so young (approx. 5-1/2 weeks) they were PTS
So young?! That's old enough to play, poop, pee, and eat from a dish on their own. Whoever made the choice to have them PTS because they were too young was an idiot.

The same with the younger ones. For someone with the time and knowledge, kittens are never too young to give up on.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

So young?! That's old enough to play, poop, pee, and eat from a dish on their own. Whoever made the choice to have them PTS because they were too young was an idiot.

The same with the younger ones. For someone with the time and knowledge, kittens are never too young to give up on.
yea i agree with that.
what they did makes no sense at all.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jenny - how terribly, terribly sad!
I'm SO sorry! You had NO way to know that would be the outcome if you didn't speak up that second.

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

Laurie

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Very well said...

You couldn't have known what the outcome was going to be. Please don't blame yourself.

RIP, little ones.

~KK~

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Agreed. I'm so sorry that happened, Jenny... maybe you can educate these people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm going to take the next litter to come in. I am all ready at home with everything I need!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is what keeps me sane working at the shelters....

Know that you can't save them all, but save the ones you can!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad, but at least now they have a volunteer that can bottle feed, so future kittens can be saved.