15 Yr Old Cat cries for no reason - HELP

bunjocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 15 year old neutered male cat who is in good health. There are no signs of any health problems...he sees a vet a least once a year. He is on Azodyl(spelling?) to help with the kidney's since a few of his blood levels were slightly over normal and the vet decided to put him on it as a preventative measure. My problem is that he has started crying for no reason. It's not a cry of pain. He does it more in the middle of the night..though he does it during the day also. We will call out to him and he'll stop and come running to us. He seems to be looking for something when he does it. I know this is probably a common behavior but he just recently started doing it. It is not constant..most of the time he seems to be content and relaxed. There are three other cats in the house that have been here for years. Any suggestions on what the cause may be or a solution to my sleep deprivation!! I'm not as concerned about losing sleep as I am about making him comfortable. Thanks for any help.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have his thyroid checked and ask for a Free T4 to also be done. Crying in the middle of the night can be a symptom and while your kitty may have had a normal value last time it was checked, he's 1) in the right age group for this and 2) what is normal for an adult cat is not normal for a senior catizen.

I just had my 14+ y.o. Alix checked - her thyroid value came back high normal, but based on her gut feeling, my vet had a Free T4 done (more sensitive test) and that came back high...so now we can treat her.

One thing to be aware of..if there is hyperthyroidism present, treating it can reveal worsening kidney values - go here:
http://www.felinecrf.org/related_dis...active_thyroid and scroll down to the "Treatments" section for information on this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunjocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your input. I'll check out the link that you suggested. Whiskers is due for blood work soon for his kidney function and I will ask the vet to do the Free T4. He had the routine bloodwork done and the thyroid was normal but after hearing what you said I will request them to test further. Thanks again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunjocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I checked out the site that you mentioned. The vet did hear a heart murmur last year and I took the cat to a cardiologist for an initial and follow up check up and they said he was ok. The last two vet visits his blood pressure was also up and they wanted to follow up on that this next visit. They did not know if it was due to the vet visit alone. Hopefully this may be the answer and it can be treated. Thank you so much for the info.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BUNJOCAT

I checked out the site that you mentioned. The vet did hear a heart murmur last year and I took the cat to a cardiologist for an initial and follow up check up and they said he was ok. The last two vet visits his blood pressure was also up and they wanted to follow up on that this next visit. They did not know if it was due to the vet visit alone. Hopefully this may be the answer and it can be treated. Thank you so much for the info.
High bp can go along with chronic renal failure also...I usually ask my vet to check the bp in the exam room, as it helps my kitties if I'm there...and we don't do labs etc. before the bp ;-) usually waiting a few minutes after being shown into the exam room before doing a weight in the room and then the doppler bp.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Zane does this, too. Except that he won't come to me when I call to him--although generally he'll stop yowling--and if I try to touch him, he'll bite me.