Books you read long ago...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and maybe even far away.

Growing up, I was a reader. It turned out I needed glasses pretty badly, and no one realized it. No big loss, I guess. But I had a LOT of friends in my books.

Now, most of you have probably read a Nancy Drew book. In fact, I believe there is now a movie of one of those. I have to confess I never did; they didn't seem "real" to me.

But there is another series starring "Trixie Belden." These are similar to the Nancy Drew books, in that mysteries are solved, but they are generally mysteries that have some possibility of being real. You can find them on e-bay. They were written by three different authors over a span of almost 40 years. Get the first one, and see if you don't fall in love with the characters!

http://barbln.org/trixie/

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One book I read way back in the late 60's/early 70's was a book called "Five Smooth Stones". I cannot remember the author, but it was one of the best books I've ever read. About 10 years ago, I ordered it from Chapter's just so I would have a copy and be able to re-read it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

and maybe even far away.

Growing up, I was a reader. It turned out I needed glasses pretty badly, and no one realized it. No big loss, I guess. But I had a LOT of friends in my books.

Now, most of you have probably read a Nancy Drew book. In fact, I believe there is now a movie of one of those. I have to confess I never did; they didn't seem "real" to me.

But there is another series starring "Trixie Belden." These are similar to the Nancy Drew books, in that mysteries are solved, but they are generally mysteries that have some possibility of being real. You can find them on e-bay. They were written by three different authors over a span of almost 40 years. Get the first one, and see if you don't fall in love with the characters!

I did read both of those series as a kid. Great literature? Not on your life! But they were fun. I believe Nancy has been updated a few times since then, but that was the Dark Ages.

Around the same time, or maybe just a snitch later, I made the acquaintance of another author you mentioned the other day: Paul Gallico. Procrastinator that I was, I found myself at the eleventh hour to write a book report on a book I hadn't even selected yet, and took myself off to the library to find the shortest book possible, so I could get it read and the report written, along with the rest of my homework for the next day.
Heck of a way to choose a book, but I fell in love with The Snow Goose, and Gallico's writing in general.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive never read a Nancy Drew book but I did like the old Nancy Drew movies from the 30's (no Im not that old, just like old films).
I read all the time when I was a kid, still do.
I remember Encyclopedia Brown was a favorite, they were little mystery stories with the kid as the detective.
And Miss Piggle Wiggle was a favorite quartet when I was really young.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gallico wrote neat stuff, including radio programs. I heard a great Christmas show by him this last Christmas season, when the Sirius Radio old radio stream was all Christmas shows.

I read a LOT of the Reader's Digest Condensed Books, because I could get them for next to nothing at used shops, and get 5 books for the price of one.

I'm looking for another one...??????? Learns to Count, something like that. Or maybe the title was "A Secret Never to Be Told." From the old rhyme:

One crow sorrow,
Two crows joy,
Three crows a baby,
Four crows a boy,
Five crows silver,
Six crows gold,
Seven crows a secret
Never to be told.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read both Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden when I was young

I also read the Boxcar children...oh heck, I read anything I could get my hands on to be honest
I was a voracious reader as a child. As for more modern series, i read The Baby-sitters Club, Sweet Valley High, the new Nancy Drew series (it was set in current day), all of them in their entirety. I was reading 500 page romance novels by the time I was in 5th grade! Loving Julia by Karen Robards was my first one

My favorite book from when I was younger was Island of the Blue Dolphins I think I read it in 6th grade

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Trixie Belden fan here! my sister & i read those growing up - we even played Trixie Belden w/our Barbie dolls!
my favorite book as a child tho, was [you'll laugh!] Gone With The Wind. i read it the 1st time around 4th-5th grade... i've now read it over 100 times [stopped counting after the 100th time
] & it's just as good as it ever was!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Nancy Drew books, and one of my other favourites is Enid Blyton. I also had a series of books by someone called Anne Digby, they were about a boarding school - I loved boarding school stories!!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember reading some Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. Wasn't there another one Cherry Ames Student Nurse? My favorites, though, were the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I read every one of those. I also to this day love Little Women, and many of the Louisa May Alcott books. Imagine my disappointment when I read her biography and realized she hated those books, and only wrote them for the money.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

One book I read way back in the late 60's/early 70's was a book called "Five Smooth Stones". I cannot remember the author, but it was one of the best books I've ever read. About 10 years ago, I ordered it from Chapter's just so I would have a copy and be able to re-read it.
what was it about?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like ages ago, probably because I've always averaged around 150-200 books a year. What addiction?

I remember some of the books I read when younger, most of them were animal related - I think they're refered to as Animal epics?
The Misty series (ones with the horses), one called Cat's Magic - now out of print and I can't find who wrote it , Brian Jacques Redwall series, a lot of fantasy (not quite high fantasy until around age 10), Chronicals of Narina, Tad Williams - Tailchaser's Song (story about a cat from a cat's POV, some of you may like it http://www.amazon.com/Tailchasers-So.../dp/0886779537). Then I moved on to more or less high fantasy style - Tolkien, Brooks, other Tad Williams books, Goodkind, Moorcock, Jordan, Eddings, Rawn, Dragonlance books, etc. Still read that along with sci fi/speculative fiction.

I never got into mystery or any of the other popular series aimed at children or young adults.
They just seemed too boring. So I can honestly say I have never read a Nancy Drew book...

I just wish my memory was better. I can still remember a lot of the stories but not the authors or book titles.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read Boxcar Children, and I loved The Babysitter's Club and Babysitter's Little Sister books, I think those were what they were called. I also remember Island of the Blue Dolphins, Bridge to Terabithia, The Outsiders, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and there are probably lots I'm forgetting. I loved all those books.

patriciapj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an extreme long shot - but I would love to know. For Christmas, when I was five (1955) I was given a book - title forgotton - but in it a little girl found a talking mouse inside a box of chocolates SHE had for christmas. I remember the mouse said 'biggie bit'. Anyone?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Ann Fairbairn is the author. I read it back in the 60s as well and absolutely loved it. I found it at a garage sale a few years ago, and bought it, but I haven't re-read it yet.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Ann Fairbairn is the author. I read it back in the 60s as well and absolutely loved it. I found it at a garage sale a few years ago, and bought it, but I haven't re-read it yet.
thanks! i saw that one on Amazon.com, along w/several others... wanted to read about it!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the Trixie Belden series. My mom got me started on those. I liked them better than Nancy Drew, probably because I really identified with Trixie. Tomboyish, and loved horses, LOL!

When I was in elementary school I read My Friend Flicka until I could recite it by memory.

When I was in Junior High I did the same thing with The Three Musketeers. My dad finally hid it from me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked Trixie Belden better, too!
And I was so in love with redheaded Jim, who got adopted by the rich folks down the road but always had this dark, brooding side from having been an orphan... ~ sigh ~

I read Nancy Drew, too... she was a little too whitebread for me. But I liked her dad, Carson Drew... what a great name!

Does anyone else remember Donna Parker?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always loved Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster, and I've just discovered its sequel Dear Enemy is available online on Project Gutenberg, so I will have to find the time to read it.
I've also always loved old detective novels. Dorothy L Sayers, Agatha Christie and Gaston Leroux.
I love the Little Prince too! I think the drawings are beautiful.

I also have appalling eyesight which wasn't noticed for some time, and was taught to read at a very early age, so spent most of my childhood engrossed in a book. I read Sophie's World when I was 7 and loved how surreal it was, but couldn't understand all the philosophical chapters. Not entirely sure I could understand them now.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My all time favorite book as a child is "Wait Till Helen Comes" by Mary Downing Hahn. I bought it for my niece and now just a few months ago bought it for my own daughter.

I never read Nancy Drew but I did read The Babysitters Club and Boxcar Children. I also remember a series called Pen Pals?