I am so going to fight this...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week I decided to line dry my clothes out on my balcony. It saved me a bit of money and made my clothes smell all nice and fresh. My apartment complex had issues. They sent me a letter. Apparently, they are worried about the aesthetics of people line drying their clothes on the balcony. Now, lets review about my apartment complex. Don't worry this will be short and sweet.

1. It's a huge building that looks like Communist era, Soviet block, group housing. You all know the kind that you see in the USSR documentaries. I swear my apartment building has been used for stand in shots.

2. The lady below me uses her balcony as extra storage. Let me put it this way, she uses it as an outdoor closet. This looks REALLY trashy. My clothes will only be outside for a few hours. We have to look at her stuff all day long.

I've decided to fight this. Not only do I want to save money by air drying my clothes, but their worries about how it will look is totally unfounded. I'll keep you all updated. I won't back down. Trust me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Geez, don't they want a free view of your undies?
I dry them inside. So it's mostly jeans, shirts, and other odds and ends like towels.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fight it on "green" grounds. We just recently had legislation passed that people can have clotheslines in their backyards in the city again to help save money on energy to use electric dryers.

You go girl! Let us know how you make out.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have fiath you can change their minds!!
aren't you on the 12th floor anyway? who the heck is going to look up and see your clothes

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is "no outdoor clothes lines" written into you rental agreement? If it's not, then they can't complain. If it is, then you might try drying them in front of an open window

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How bizarre. It's probably in your lease under some vague "we can make you take down things that are ugly" clause, which gives you some wiggle room at least.

My landlord has strange rules about window dressings but I think it's mainly about coherency and looking pretty and being somewhat OCD (I don't say that lightly, you should have heard her go on about the color of the curtains and how she wants the blinds down as far as possible, shut, and all facing up instead of down).

Maybe you could dry your clothes at night so they will never see it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How about one of those metal stands for drying clothes?

I find the rules about no clotheslines ridiculous. We used to have one in our town prohibiting hanging up wash on Sundays, but so many people started to ignore it that it eventually was dropped.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The lady who used to live across the hall used to dry her clothes on her balcony. Then one day the elderly man who lived next door knocked at her door and handed her a pile of her clothes that had blown off. Including several pairs of undies. She never used the balcony again!

You fight it though, Heather! I think it's so much better not to use the drier, for a number of reasons : save money, better for the environment, easier on your clothes, easier for 8-Bit to nab your undies.....

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's hilarious!

That's about one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard!
Someone needs to get a life..

I'd be fighting them too!
You go, girl!

~KK~

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Fight it on "green" grounds. We just recently had legislation passed that people can have clotheslines in their backyards in the city again to help save money on energy to use electric dryers.
Originally Posted by mews2much

We can not dry Clothes outside here either. We have to dry our Clothes inside.
What??? There's a law against clotheslines? Really? What could they possibly have against that, and especially if it's in your own back yard?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I dry them inside. So it's mostly jeans, shirts, and other odds and ends like towels.
well that could be the problem then.
Dry the hmm female things with the jeans and stuff and see if you get a different answer

well its a idea , never said it was a good one

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with that

I used to live in a building that didn't have air conditioners. They had a rule that you could put in a window air conditioner so long as you paid to have a new window put in so that you didn't use plywood to board up the gaping hole left where the window was removed to accommodate the air conditioner. Now the windows were almost floor to ceiling high and took up the full length of a the outside wall, so getting a new window made was not exactly a cheap venture. I had my brother, who does windows, price it out for me, and even if he were to get everything at cost and put it in for me, just the materials alone were over $700.00!!!

They claimed it was unsightly and made the building look bad and "slum-like."

I've also had friends who were told to clean up their balcony because they had flags and stuff hanging off of them.

And I lived in the upstairs of a house where the owner who lived downstairs, forbid me to put up any political posters during elections.

You can try and fight it though and see what happens. I can't see why they would be against it because you are saving electricity, and if they are paying the electric bill, you would think they would be thankful that you are trying to save them money.

The other alternative is to hang your clothing out at night, this way it's not visible.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe they would have a problem with hanging your clothes on your balcony!! Man... Ive never heard the clothesline laws, thank god!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

well that could be the problem then.
Dry the hmm female things with the jeans and stuff and see if you get a different answer
I was wondering the same thing!