ack! Growth on paw pad??? photos

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was clipping kismets claws today, i do it about once every two weeks and she is great about it, but I found this on her front right paw! I thought it was a piece of claw stuck in her paw it was so hard! But its some kind of growth. A wart maybe?? When i pulled on it it didn't bother her one bit, but it's hard as a rock and definitely attahed to her.

Should I do something?? What is it??? and how might she have gotten it??? (indoor cat only)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I agree and I thought that, but it's definitely not an infection or something (ie. if she had gotten something like litter in her paw) it doesn't hurt her or bother her one bit (I can push, prod and pull and she isn't lame at all)! My best guess is a wart...............?? My old cat had one above her eye and it kind of looked like that. But I'm just suprised I never noticed this before and was hoping somebody recognized it..........

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks!!! I'll look into that website!

EDIT: I just looked into it and that is exactly what she has!! so weird!! thanks!! it isn't bothering her or snagging, but if it starts to snag I'll take her to the vet to have it removed I guess! (It says on the website you can clip it off, but I don't feel comfortable with that!)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, several of my cats have these...I just wish I could remember what they are called. They can be removed surgically, or snipped close to the base (ask your vet to confirm this of course). They do tend to come back which is why we've never gone the surgical route.

I tried online research to find the name, but only ran into articles calling it "horns" and an oddity. It's not really <shrug>.

Definately not warts..your photos are excellent - 3 of our cats currently have these.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia Rose has those, one of them came off in the regular struggle to clip her nails.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Hi, several of my cats have these...I just wish I could remember what they are called. They can be removed surgically, or snipped close to the base (ask your vet to confirm this of course). They do tend to come back which is why we've never gone the surgical route.

I tried online research to find the name, but only ran into articles calling it "horns" and an oddity. It's not really <shrug>.

Definately not warts..your photos are excellent - 3 of our cats currently have these.
haha she loves having her paws played with so it was easy to get CLOSE up photos! thanks for the advice!

I guess you've never had any complications?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, knock on wood...Rachel in particular has had these for years.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Captain has one on his head. It at first was a huge lump the size of a grape. I had it treated with homeopathy and now it looks like a large piece of cat litter on his head. I just leave it alone because the vet says it's optional to remove it. It's actually shrinking.

linus vanpelt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like "horned paw" to me. Two of our cats (siblings) have it. No big deal, we just trim off the growths when we trim their nails.

fredluvstiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat had them on several paws.  Like mud hornet nests tiny or clumping cat litter stacking.  Hers are warts and dont use clippers.  When they are big enough to grab i used my fiinger nails.  After 2 years we are down to 3.  Are they comfortable?  Cats have high pain tolerance.  A wart off the tip of your finger would bother you.  Its better she hates me for 2 minutes every 6 months or so and they did spread to a second cat not a third or 4th after I began taking them off one no longer has them.

jennifersbar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just discovered that my one cat has these and her dad has tiny tiny ones on his pads.  So weird.  Now can someone tell me if this would make them not want to go in the litter?

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I found this thread as one of mine has these and thought it was really odd!! It just seems like hard, dead skin, as previously mentioned just a callous really. My cat doesnt seem bothered when i snip them off lol.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I learn something new on this site everyday :D

livelaughlovesd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow so glad I found this! So when I take my cat to get his nails trimmed can I ask them to cut it off too? I was so worried when I saw it!!! Glad it's nothing serious!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think these are sometimes called cutaneous horns. They're growths of keratin, like nails, but they don't have any blood supply or tissues inside them, so it's fine to trim them off. They will probably grow back unless a vet removes them, and they might be a little thicker or weirdly shape so nail trimmers don't always fit neatly around them. Sometimes they bother the cat, and it's good to trim them, but sometimes the cat doesn't mind. I think it's believed there's a connection between them and some viruses, but not always.

My cat has them on her carpal pads. She's also FIV positive, so I wonder if that could be the cause. I'm going to mention it the next time she goes to the vet for a check-up just to make sure they know about it. 

This is what hers look like:

amyoliver85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have the round scissors clippers for clipping cat nails, you can easily and safely clip these off, no matter the size and shape.