Home made cat food

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Due to the rising cost of canned cat food, I have been feeding my babies home cooked meals.
I still give them dry food which may contain the vitamins they might not get from the wet food.
For flavoring, I buy canned tuna in water (for human consumption) which I mix with boiled chicken and fish.
I've only boiled the ingredients. Is it okay to fry? Broil? Microwave?
I do not add spices or salt. Should I?
Thank you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO it is not a complete diet and human tuna can cause vitamin deficiencies...

if you want homemade it is best to google and take the recipes to your vet as many Claiming on the web to be 100% complete on many site truely are not ...

Dr Jean has a number of books many I have read with homemade diets ...

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...=show&item=014

If you pm me I will send you a diet I have used also

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a lot of work following that recipe. I would just feed the cat some chopped up chicken or port or whatever raw food you have around, and supplement that with dry/wet commercial food.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plar

Sounds like a lot of work following that recipe. I would just feed the cat some chopped up chicken or port or whatever raw food you have around, and supplement that with dry/wet commercial food.
That may be the "easy" solution, but that is very poor advice. Nutritional deficiencies can lead to MANY health problems, including death, and depending on the extent of the deficiency, this can occur in a short period of time. Chicken is not a complete diet and supplementing with commercial food will provide some vitamins and taurine, but not enough unless they are eating the daily amount appropriate for the cat.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even though it may seem like a lot of work following a recipe, it's a lot better to do the job and have a healthy cat than to do it the easy way and eventually get a sick cat. And it usually only is hard work in the beginning. Once you're in the routine, it's like preparing your own meal.

Here's another site with a catfood recipe: http://www.charlesloopsdvm.com/catdiet.htm

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I still give them dry food which may contain the vitamins they might not get from the wet food.
For flavoring, I buy canned tuna in water (for human consumption) which I mix with boiled chicken and fish.
Thank you.
As Sharky said this isn't a complete diet even if you still feed dry & wet food.

Just me but I wouldn't feed tuna water long term, something to do w/ mercury if memory serves. I've know a couple of cats who are addicted to tuna water & refuse to eat anything else.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
at least change out the tuna for minced crabs [same size can, slightly more expensive].

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by plar

Very poor advice indeed, not to mention cats should not have raw pork at all (I'm assuming "port" was meant to be pork).