My fairy tale

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I haven't been here in a while, and since we are all big cat lovers, I thought I should share my little story with you guys.

I've been volunteering for a few months now at the no-kill shelter close to where I live (for cats only). One of the volonteer there was called by a guy: he had found 3 baby kittens in his backyard, in a wet box and it seemed like the mother was rarely there. It was during the winter, there was snow outside, the babies were newborns and it was very cold. So, she went there to rescue them. When she got there, the mother was back. She was a feral. She tried to rescue all of them, but the mother was somehow able to fight hard enough to get away. So, she brought back the babies that were now orphaned. She already had 5 cats at home and didn't know how to take care of these baby kittens (less than 2 weeks old and no mother). Of course, all of the other volunteer at our shelter are also foster family and their houses are full of cats so, as the new member of our community, I was asked to take care of them. Having seen them, I couldn't say no and I had already done a ton of researches on the subjects because I had previously had a pregnant cat at my place (wich unfortunatly died, RIP Maya). I was very scared, though, because I had been told by a few members here that I wasn't ready to do such a thing, and it was true. Reading on a subject and actually being able to handle such a situation are both very different things. But between that and giving them to another shelter (where they would certainly get sick without their mother), I just knew what I had to do.

So, here I was, bottlefeeding them every 3-4 hours, warming up their little socks filled with beans and their blankets every 1-2 hours, helping them go potty, washing them, visiting the vet everytime I had a doubt (most of the time for nothing, but the last thing I wanted was anything happening to these little creature), changing the configuration of the house to make sure they had enough space as they grew up...And falling in love with these 3 little fluffy balls.

They are now 8 weeks old, they are healty and almost ready to leave the nest. Our nest. They think I'm their mother. They had their first vaccination and are dewormed. They eat solid food, use the litter box, understand the word "no!", are able to run very fast and they love to follow me everywhere and they purr as soon as I pet them. I can't believe if they would have been found a few days later, they would probaly have been dead in the cold. In 5 weeks, they will leave to their new homes. I was blessed by having the chance to live such a great experience, but it is also a burden for me to know I will have to go through this separation. Only thing I can do is find them the best home as possible.

Thanks for reading my story. If you want to see Lily, Cloe and Gus, my 3 little angels, you can stop at . It's a little video I made of them so that I could see them even when they will be gone.

Marilou

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!!! What beautiful darling ones!!!

I can understand how you feel.
I got attached to my 5 orphans and kept them.

You did a wonderful job.
Because of you they have survived and I know you will find the perfect homes for them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
that was wonderful! i love Lilly's little black nose... & those startlingly blue eyes on the silver classic tabby
they probably won't stay that color, tho

is the other boy also a classic tabby?
the mascara lines on both of the boys are gorgeous - so sharp!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

that was wonderful! i love Lilly's little black nose... & those startlingly blue eyes on the silver classic tabby
they probably won't stay that color, tho

is the other boy also a classic tabby?
the mascara lines on both of the boys are gorgeous - so sharp!
Thanks! Actually, there's 2 girls (Lily, the calico and Cloe, one of the tabby) and 1 boy (Gus). The classic tabby is the boy. The girl is a little darker and her fur pattern is both tabby and spotted (I don't know how it's called). Their eyes have already changed to a greenish/greyish color (the 3 of them) now. Lily's fur looks like if she would have stepped in black paint: her chin, her nose her back her, her tail and under her paws are all covered with black spots!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your movie made me cry!
Great job raising them, you're their hero. BTW, they're very cute!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really a very nice video. How you were so gentle with those little babies.
All 3 are just more than adorable. I laughed at the baby in the mirror (the 2nd time)

You have done a beautiful thing for them. Raising them, socializing them, preparing them for their future.

You are stronger than I am, I kept 4 kittens, I just couldnt let them go

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

That is really a very nice video. How you were so gentle with those little babies.
All 3 are just more than adorable. I laughed at the baby in the mirror (the 2nd time)

You have done a beautiful thing for them. Raising them, socializing them, preparing them for their future.

Thank you so much. And I don't know if I'm really stronger than you, I wish I could keep them and it breaks my heart to know they will leave. I know I will be able to save other cats and kittens in the future by letting them go once they are ready. It's just hard.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

Your movie made me cry!
Great job raising them, you're their hero. BTW, they're very cute!
Originally Posted by Pami

Such sweet babies!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to help these little ones. Congratulations.