7 week old kittens playing too rough?

madi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three 7 week old ones seem to be playing rough. Their claws are always out when they play with us. When they play with each other, I sometimes hear the girl (Prada) yelp. Is this normal?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age anything goes, anytime, any place. I'm concerned that they were taken too young from their mother, who normally teaches manners, but other than that expect no self discipline or brains or anything else for at least a couple of months. They are nothing but appetites attached to energy and have no concept of right and wrong, certainly not as we know it, and will no more be able to 'behave' or follow instructions than fly to the moon. Punishing them in any way is pointless as they won't connect what they've (just) done with the punishment anyway but may end up trying to outsmart the punishment or being resentful of where it came from. If you can cat-proof their room and your house otherwise, removing all things they could remotely get into or onto or under, and anything they can knock down or that could be dangerous, do it. They won't be able to jump or climb very high for a while, but keep an eye for when they do. Are you having fun yet :-)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Are you having fun yet :-)?
Haha yes I am.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of the main reason to start young and trim the nails - I start at 4 weeks old. I had an experience with Russian Blue kittens where they were roughhousing and one brother caught his nail (cause they don't retract nails for the first few months) in his brother's eye. His brother almost lost his sight in that eye.

After that, I trim the tips only on kittens at 4 weeks old before they learn to wrestle each other and cause damage.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I completely agree with GK on this. Get them used to having their paws touched and their claws clipped as young as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

This is one of the main reason to start young and trim the nails
I bought this nail trimmers for cats/kittens, but I'm always sooo scared that I might cut their quick. I just trim the tips also, but it still hurts. Luckily, their vaccines are due, and I'm gonna try and have the vet teach me how to do it. I have scratch marks on my arm and ankles now.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by madi

My three 7 week old ones seem to be playing rough. Their claws are always out when they play with us. When they play with each other, I sometimes hear the girl (Prada) yelp. Is this normal?
I got my girls when they were 7 wks old and yes it is normal for them to yelp every once and awhile. And definately kitten proof the place. My girls were able to squeeze themselves between the frame and the dishwasher and squeeze into small holes under the cabinets. They are still plugged, and will remain that way for a couple of months more. They are 5 months old now. And have nearly tripled in size... LOL I also started clipping their claws but only about 2 months ago. I do it when they are sleeping and now they just look at me as if to say, Mom! not again! but hold still for the most part.