Here's a question for you....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thread got me thinking. How many of you go to the theater to see a movie, and how many just wait until it comes out to rent?

I haven't seen a movie in a theater for almost 5 years. It's just too expensive, so I just wait until they come out on DVD and rent them. The last one I saw in a theater was Spiderman, I think. The only reason we went is because our power was out, and the mall and theater were airconditioned!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll go to the movies if it's a movie I really really really want to see and not have to wait till they come out on DVD. We've seen all the SAWs in theaters, all the Harry Potters, and some others. If it's a movie that I can wait to see, or my boyfriend doesn't want to go with me (like a chick flick), I'll wait till it comes out on DVD.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Went to see Charlie Wilson's war, the only reason we went was we had company, and it was a rainy day, nothing else much to do. Usually we wait for dvd, we can eat what we want, stop when we have to use bathroom, much more relaxing.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually have Netflix. So we get movies all the time. We haven't been to a theater in a long time. Since the new Charlie and the Chocolate factory came out.
We like the fact that you can start it when you want, pause it if you need to, eat what you want, and have no people around you talking or having their cells going off.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a theater here that is a part of the art museum and shows foreign films, documentaries, independents, etc. We occasionally go there if there's something that we want to see, but it's $6, which is pretty good these days. Other than that I mostly download movies online for free. Sometimes we'll rent them on itunes, or a month of Netflix on occasion.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We go maybe once or twice a year. It's really hard for DH and I to find time to go and not be too tired to sit through a movie in an uncomfortable theater seat.

Occasionally I have issues with my eyes. Sitting in the dark watching something can leave me with a horrendous headache and feeling like someone rubbed sand into my eyes.
It's generally bad for everyones' eyes, which is why it's suggested that people don't watch tv or use their computer in a dark room.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to a theater in years. We used to go once or twice a year (birthdays, anniversaries), but there hasn't been anything that we feel is worth spending that much money for in a long time. I seldom rent them either, just wait for them to show up on TV, or my sister to buy them and loan them to me.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last cinema trip must have been a year ago, although I can't remember for the life of me what film it was I saw there last

I prefer to wait for the DVD unless I get invited out, or it's a film that I REALLY want to see...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually wait to rent, tho there are a few special movies we have gone to the theatre to see when they came out. We saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the 3 Pirates movies, The Passion of the Christ and a few other "kid" movies, like Toy Story.

We finally got around to seeing the Ice Age ones cause a friend of ours had them for their kids. I'd like to see Ice Age 3 next year in the theatre.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love going to the theater, even alone -- and luckily, there's a dollar theater near me where big movies go immediately after they leave the first-run theaters. So if I can wait a bit, I can see anything for a buck!

But for movies that are especially important to me, or that promise to be visually spectacular in a way that begs for the big screen, I don't mind paying $4.50 to go to the first showing on a weekday.

I do mind paying $6.50 for popcorn and $3.50 for a drink, though. I used to do it anyway, rather than be a criminal... but then one day I bit down on a foreign object in my theater-bought popcorn. It was long, thin, bumpy, and flexible, and the first thing I imagined it might be was a fried mousie-tail. So I closed my eyes and threw it faaaar away under the seats so I would never find out what it was I'd almost eaten.

And now I smuggle my own popcorn and bottled water into the theater, by golly, and I'm... only slightly ashamed of it...

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I love going to the theater, even alone -- and luckily, there's a dollar theater near me where big movies go immediately after they leave the first-run theaters. So if I can wait a bit, I can see anything for a buck!

But for movies that are especially important to me, or that promise to be visually spectacular in a way that begs for the big screen, I don't mind paying $4.50 to go to the first showing on a weekday.

I do mind paying $6.50 for popcorn and $3.50 for a drink, though. I used to do it anyway, rather than be a criminal... but then one day I bit down on a foreign object in my theater-bought popcorn. It was long, thin, bumpy, and flexible, and the first thing I imagined it might be was a fried mousie-tail. So I closed my eyes and threw it faaaar away under the seats so I would never find out what it was I'd almost eaten.

And now I smuggle my own popcorn and bottled water into the theater, by golly, and I'm... only slightly ashamed of it...
I don't think you want to know what it was.
How do you get the popcorn in? Huge handbag?

I don't blame you one bit. It's ridiculous the prices they charge for food items.

I only go if it's a movie I really want to see and the special effects are huge. I'll even go alone sometimes. However, I wait until it's out a few weeks and try to go on a weekday because if there is anything I can't stand, it's a full theater with a bunch of kids or people on their phones! Oh...I also can't stand it when moms take their babies in with them. Disrupts it for everyone.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to the movies all the time. Probably once every week or two and usually to the silvercity which is $11 per person. It costs $34 every time because we get a large popcorn and 2 regular drinks.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
how about neither - i wait for it to come on TV!

CarolPetunia - we need to movie together! i like going to the theatre, but have no one to go with!
p.s. - i also smuggle in food & drink!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
very very seldom go to the theater anymore.
not cause of the cost. But cause it makes my stress level go sky high.
as i keep getting the feeling of hurting people who WONT shut up during the movie.

so do go that often.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go occasionally.. but only if I really want to see it, because it's hard to find anyone to go with me. My anxiety sometimes gets to me a bit if I'm alone around that many people. But last time I went, I made the mistake of going when the movie was still popular and crowded, and it drove me nuts listening to everyone loudly crunching on popcorn and slurping their drinks and whispering to eachother.. so I'm more hesitant to go again.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even remember the last time I saw a movie in a theatre - it's been so long.
But I must have been in my late teens..

I'd much rather watch a movie at home, where you have privacy and the comfort of home.
An added bonus is the fact that you can stop the movie when you need a bathroom break, and you don't end up missing anything. You can't do that in a theatre!

~KK~

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm like taking an 8 year old to the movies, I fidget & whine the whole time!
I rent them.