Uhhh, my mom gave me a shorky...

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know what would make someone think to mix a
-zu (I dont know how its spelled, so hopefully it dont censor it) and a Yorkie.... I can't make head nor tails of him so far! She bought him at the pet shop a week ago and decided she couldn't handle him, so she told the kids it was their early birthday present (which means I HAVE to keep him) and gave him to them! He's 4lbs and Im pretty sure a grasshopper is yay high to him... I dont know anything about this breed so if anyone has any info it would be great! He's very cute, and very loving, and Im sure he'll grow on me, but right now he's like a little alien to me!! Anyone know anything bout this??

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a dog that small, but the Yorkie is a terrier so he might chase the cats a bit. But if you make the cats alpha to him, he should be ok. I think I've heard that shitzus need a lot of grooming, so be aware of that. He's probably pretty cute, but NOT a cool thing for a mom to do to an already overwhelmed daughter.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh. You got him the way I got Izzy. Cute, but then a terror.

He might not housetrain very easily, smaller dogs are harder to train. Start in on basic obediance right away, even if he is a small dog. Get him his shots, parvo is bad in this part of the country this year, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I've never had a dog that small, but the Yorkie is a terrier so he might chase the cats a bit. But if you make the cats alpha to him, he should be ok. I think I've heard that shitzus need a lot of grooming, so be aware of that. He's probably pretty cute, but NOT a cool thing for a mom to do to an already overwhelmed daughter.
I agree!! He doesn't bark so far, and he's terrorfied of the cats! And theres this bad smelling stuff coming out of his eyes! Is that because he needs to be clicked?? Or is that a problem?? I really dont know much about this little guy...

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ugh. You got him the way I got Izzy. Cute, but then a terror.

He might not housetrain very easily, smaller dogs are harder to train. Start in on basic obediance right away, even if he is a small dog. Get him his shots, parvo is bad in this part of the country this year, too.
Ive got his shot records already and he's all UTD, but he's been trained to pee and poop on these pad type thingys... very gross! Not making me happy! He has also never been on a leash a day in his life! He bites at it and just hates to be on it!! It really felt like I was taking a cat for a walk when I took him out, all upset with me for being on the leash! Im trying to get a good pic of him to post but he's all black and they aren't coming out right.... darnit!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I've never heard of those two breeds being mixed.

I do know that smaller dogs are hard to housetrain, I have a pomeranian that's about a year old and when we got her, she was just old enough to leave her mom, and she was such a pain for a while when it came to housetraining. We don't have that problem anymore, luckily.

My grandparents also had a yorkie for a long, long time.. from when he was a puppy, until he got really old and left for RB, so I'm somewhat familiar with them, though I don't know how they act around cats, because he was their only pet.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alright, piddle pad trained is a nightmare. He's been taught it's OK to go in the house. Work on getting him to use the piddle pad outside, then eventually just going outside.

Leash....coat it in bitter apple spray or something nasty tasting to work with him on that. At his size, I'd use a harness rather than a collar.

Nasty stuff from eyes.....what color is it? Some breeds have the classic "eye boogies" like my Izzy does....can you wipe it off with a warm wet cloth? (If not, he might need to be vet checked ASAP) Shih Tzus are well known for the "eye boogers" & they are a nightmare to keep clean, IMO.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its clear liquid fluid that you can't even really see, its like his eyes are watering and they never stop, only is smells just awful!! its really disgusting, and he's just peed on my floor... grrr!!! Can you little box train dogs?? I dont think so... Are these 2 breeds that were meant to be mixed or was this a "Im so dumb Im gonna breed two weirdos" thing??

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she called it a Shorky and bought it from a pet shop you better believe she paid for a designer mutt. She probably pays a decent amount of money for this dog, which is sad since he is no spacial breed. Shih-Tzu's do need a lot of grooming. And terriers may chase cats as previously mentioned. Yay. Sounds like a load of fun for you! And yes they do make dog litterboxes. I have one for my cats. It is just really big.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No 2 breeds are meant to be mixed. Shorkies are yet another "designer" breed.

Litter training *might* work, but again, you're teaching him it's OK to go in the house. For now, you might just want to put down a piddle pad. It's up to you. It's a lose/lose situation.

Clear fluid....shouldn't stink. Clean him up as best as you can, call the vet right away Mon.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah she paid some 425 for him!! Ill get him to the vet because it is just nasty! I dont want him to think its okay to pee in the house either.... Thats just wrong, so Im going to try to take him out every couple of hours to make him know he has to go out there! He peed right next to the training pad too so I give up on that already, Id rather take him out! A designer mutt huh?? That figures! He was bred intentionally and theres another batch of them coming on May 20th. (thats when they'll be ready to buy) He's a doll so far, so hopefully I can get him to stop peeing on my floor and get his stinky head problem taken care of!! The shot records that were given to my mom were written, should I even take them seriously?? Or should I have the shots done again to be on the safe side??

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on where he came from. Take the records to your vet & express your concerns over whether or not the shots were given.

Were they done by a vet or by the "breeder"?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im thinking the shots were done by the breeder... which also happens to be a puppy mill... Yeah... I dont know if I trust anything they've done! Im going to take him to the vet right away on monday, because I dont know anything about this breed of dog and im all confused!!

A yorkzhu is a little safer to try to spell! Since I spelled the other part terribly bad and it got cencored!

You guys are great to put up with my dog questions on the cat site!! Thanks everyone!

Oh yeah, can I use people shampoo on him or is that a no no?? I have paragaurd shampoo but that will make him stink even worse!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a dog expert, but I think if you use a gentle shampoo, like baby shampoo you would be ok. And make sure to rinse well, and don't use it on his face.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tons of baby shampoo! That would smell so much better than the paragaurd!

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brothers' chihuahua/dachshund is litterbox trained but the litterbox is located outside.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oh yeah!
I should have known that you would have baby shampoo!
Oh yeah, tons of baby shampoo I do have!
He smells so much better now! Im no groomer, but I bathed him and cut his hair out of his eyes because I think thats the problem! I think the hair is irritating his eyes because its in them all the time, and I dont think my mom ever bathed him because he was REALLY dirty, and he had matts all over that I had to cut out because there was no other options for me! So I dont know how he looks right now really, but I got a couple pictures that kind of turned out so Im gonna put them up for all to see my beautiful Shorky! Feel free to tell me how I did on the grooming too! He still needs his nails clipped and he needs them clipped bad, but I just know I would hurt him if I did it myself! So Im going to the pet shop tomarrow to talk to them about a couple things about this puppy and see if they wont clip his nails for me! My mom said that even right after she gave him a bath that he still smelled on his face, well he doesn't now! I made sure to wash him up good, and get crap off of him plus I cut the hair that was in his eyes!

Originally Posted by okiron

My brothers' chihuahua/dachshund is litterbox trained but the litterbox is located outside.
Yeah, I just think Im gonna take him outside every couple hours... I dont know if I think litterbox training a dog is such a nice thing to do to them! Unless the littler box is outside but then whats the point!