Veggie Burgers!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to eat vegetarian, at least at home for the last month or so and for the most part I'm succeeding quite nicely.

Not strict vegetarian because I still have dairy products and fish, but I've cut out meat type products.

I've been buying veggie burgers at Safeway, and while they taste ok, they are a bit rubbery and quite small, and expensive! About $1.25 per patty.

Tonight I made some veggie burgers with black beans, sunflower seeds and cashews. They're baking in the oven right now and wow, do they ever smell delicious.

I'm going to have one with some rice and a salad.

Does anyone else make veggie burgers?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in a church that believed that vegetarianism was a good idea. They actually started two of the big companies, Loma Linda Foods, and Worthington Foods (which is now part of MorningStar Foods, I think). Anyway, they made a lot of soy-based vegetarian foods.

However, it's quite possible to use wheat gluten you make yourself into vegeburgers.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, never tried it. I've been a vegetarian so long that I never even ate a regular burger... so I have no frame of reference for it.

But Linda, I think you missed your calling -- you're a chef! More specifically, you're a caterer. Maybe you could find an existing caterer who needs a creative type to be the brains of the operation... or start your own business with a partner who could handle most of the labor for you. Have you ever thought about that?

You might even specialize in ongoing contracts to provide healthy meals for daycare centers (both for children and adults), the clients of home-health agencies, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I grew up in a church that believed that vegetarianism was a good idea.
I'm doing it for a few reasons.

1. Money. I just can't afford the price of meat products.
2. Trying to lower my cholesterol
3. Something I've always wanted to try.

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

A vegan friend of mine makes her's from this recipe
http://www.recipezaar.com/25402
Thanks! I've printed that out. It looks yummy. I found some recipes on the net, but none had a potato base.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

But Linda, I think you missed your calling -- you're a chef! More specifically, you're a caterer. Maybe you could find an existing caterer who needs a creative type to be the brains of the operation... or start your own business with a partner who could handle most of the labor for you. Have you ever thought about that?

You might even specialize in ongoing contracts to provide healthy meals for daycare centers (both for children and adults), the clients of home-health agencies, etc.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I do enjoy cooking when I have someone to cook for. But so far as going into catering, I tried it some years ago and would cater small dinner parties or lunches. It was fun, but not profitable, probably because I had no clue what to charge. Plus now because of my health, I bearly have the stamina to cook for myself, so shopping and cooking for others is out of the question.

I have thought about when I return to work though, so I might consider making "make ahead" meals for people then.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a hint: Look around you, find a Seventh-day Adventist church, then go and visit on the Saturday they have a potluck dinner.

Tell them you are actually visiting to learn about their diet beliefs, and you'll find out things you'll never learn anywhere else.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natalie,

I'm a new veg--totally veg (ovo-lacto) since March. I'm having a great time with it, and most days have no problem with coming up with satisfying, meat free alternatives. I'm even making veggie SUSHI--delicious!!!!

As for veg burgers, I find I'm very picky about them and have so far not tried making them from scratch. The Morningstar Farms brand suits my tastes well, esp when served on a whole grain bun with lots of green veg and perhaps some cheese melted on top and a side of oven-baked sweet potato fries! YUM

Anyway, if you need a "new-veg buddy," feel free to give me a holler. Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on the diet change.

Cally

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always buy Mourning Star. The factory is close to here too. I Drink Soy Milk or Rice Milk. Silk is the I like the best. I do eat cheese though and alot of Organic Foods

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for those links

Until a couple months ago I had no idea even where to start. All I knew is that a salad is not very filling for me, and I don't consider sitting down with a bowl of raw veggies a meal.

So one day during one of my education classes for my physical rehab I asked the dietician. She explained it pretty simply. Do exactly what you would do if you were eating a meal of steak, potato and veggies, only replace the steak with something made from legumes, such as veggie burger etc.

That made sense to me, so I figured I'd try it. It's been going not to badly. So far I'm only doing it at home. A week ago I was running errands and got hungry, so I stopped at McDonalds and had a sausage/egg mcmuffin, and I am not going to impose my diet change on anyone who invites me for dinner. I'll eat whatever they are cooking just like always.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if you have Zehrs supermarkets where you live but their PC veggie burger is pretty good

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I learned very early on that $5 doesn't buy much steak, but it buys a lot of beans, and they're just as nutitious, although a little harder to digest.

As to most salad, don't bother. Iceberg lettuce has virtually no nutrition. It's essentially packaged water, not even any roughage.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I don't know if you have Zehrs supermarkets where you live but their PC veggie burger is pretty good
I'm on a strict budget, so I'm trying to make them on my own because it's cheaper.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I learned very early on that $5 doesn't buy much steak, but it buys a lot of beans, and they're just as nutitious, although a little harder to digest.

As to most salad, don't bother. Iceberg lettuce has virtually no nutrition. It's essentially packaged water, not even any roughage.
I don't care much for iceberg lettuce. I was buying those containers of prewashed baby lettuce mixes, but it got way too pricey. So now I'm buy heads of leaf lettuce.

Plus I'm making my own salad dressing too using olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard and seasonings. Delicous and much cheaper than buying. Plus I know what's in it!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm on a strict budget, so I'm trying to make them on my own because it's cheaper.

I don't care much for iceberg lettuce. I was buying those containers of prewashed baby lettuce mixes, but it got way too pricey. So now I'm buy heads of leaf lettuce.

Plus I'm making my own salad dressing too using olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard and seasonings. Delicous and much cheaper than buying. Plus I know what's in it!
Start growing a pot of spinach. It grows to fast that you'll have enough for a salad a day, and it's much more nutritious than lettuce is.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to suggest spinach leaves, also. Haven't tried growing them, myself.