We adopted a kitty today!

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(I am not sure if this is in the right section of the forum, but please move it if it isn't.)

My fiance and I went to the big PetSmart adoption event today. We wanted to adopted from a rescue called "Miss Kitty's Cat House", so we looked at their kitties first. One of the volunteer's opened a kennel right away and showed us the sweetest kitty ever. His name is "Jupiter" or "Jupe" (as I call him). He is 1 1/2 years old and pure black with lime green eyes....Jupe also has 24 (I think) toes. It looks like his front paws have little black mittens on.

Jupe was dumped at a vet's office when he was 3 months old, so this lady took Jupe to foster and has had him since then. She planned to adopt him, but already had a lot of kitties and bottle babies. She decided to bring him to the event today in hopes that special people would come along and adopt him

Right now he is hiding out under our dresser, so I am letting him settle in until he is ready to come out to cuddle and play. I will get pictures and post them once he has reached that point.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a wonderful guy. Hope you have a lot of fun with him and he has a long and healthy/happy life with you all

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on you for adopting an adult and for knowing that you need to give him time to get comfortable with his new home. I'm sure you will all be very happy with one another!

Pictures please!

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are not many more things satisfying than adopting an adult animal in need. You will be greatly awarded :-)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope he becomes all you expect of him.

It will take a little while for him to settle in. Be sure you have food, water, and a litter box available to him, and he knows where they are. If you have quiet spare room for that, it would be great. Otherwise, you might want to close him in a bathroom or something so he can find the litter box, especially.

Cats are all different, so try not to assume that he will behave in a certain way.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And you used to say how much you didn't really like cats. Wow a lot has changed since I left RO. Now I have to leave this forum too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

And you used to say how much you didn't really like cats. Wow a lot has changed since I left RO. Now I have to leave this forum too.
Well, long time no see! I used to not like cats all that much, yes. I have been cat sitting for two kitties for a friend and they grew on me. I really love them now. Ignore me and I'll gladly ignore you.

Anyway, Jupe is very scared. He has been hiding out in the bottom level of the t.v. stand. Should I keep him in our bedroom and close the door...with the litter box, food, and water in there with him? He likes to hide out under our dresser, too.

When I go to The Cat House (cat rescue), new kitties always hide out for a few days or up to a week and then they come around. I bet Jupe will come around just like all those kitties.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yes its best to keep the new cat confined to one room for the first few days with food/water and litter pan.
Thank you! I will try to get Jupe out of hiding now.

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new addition! It's always exciting getting to know each other!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and I could be twins! I used to think I was a dog person until one cat came into my life and changed all that. When Mary first came home she hid like that. She was 9 months at the time. She was old enough to have had a few unpleasant experiences.
But she is the best cat in the world to me. She appreciates me and our home. She is so loving and smart. She is a healing force in my life. She shows me unconditional love and in turn I try to be worthy of it.
Spoil Jupe with good food, some yummy treats and just love.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got Jupe out of hiding from under the dresser. We blocked all hiding spots, but he found his way some how (by climbing my clothes?) up on the top shelf of the closet.

Last night we got him out and after a little bit he warmed up and just wanted loving. You can pet him and "toss" him around like a dog and he loves it....butt scratches are his thing!

When I woke up this morning, I didn't see him, so he is probably back up on the top shelf of the closet. We got him down off there before bed last night and he slept in his kitty bed.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww i love polydactlys their paws are so cute! good luck! and pictures pictures pictures!

heidi2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always have a smile in my face when they gettin adopted.
Have fun with him and give him some time to warm up!!!!!
Good luck!

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay!! Congrats and I can't wait to see photos! Our Ringo stayed under the bed for about 3 days after we adopted her. Now, a few months later, she struts around like she's the boss...and, of course, she is!