your male cat and strays

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How does your male cat react if he see's a stray male outside? I took a video of how my cat pippi reacted when he saw a stray male on the deck, I don't know how to create a link but if you google "youtube/boojababy" it should take you to my youtube page, it is the first video called "pippi pissed" this is is first time I had ever heard him growl like he did, the one he is mad at is the shorthaired cat on the deck, the one I try to feed, the other long haired one is my other cat Booja.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man! He sounds mad!

My boy isn't territorial. When he sees cats outside he doesn't growl. He gets all excited and runs from window to window trying to keep them in sight. I think he wants to play with them.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pippi is sure angry. His aggression was redirected to Booja. He was frustrated because he could not go after the stray. He saw you feed it too which may have upset him more.
The next time, Pippi may not listen to you and chase after the stray. If the stray holds his ground you will have a cat fight in your hands.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by mschauer

My boy isn't territorial. When he sees cats outside he doesn't growl. He gets all excited and runs from window to window trying to keep them in sight. I think he wants to play with them.
That's how Oliver is... we had a feral problem last summer, and the woman across the street lets her in tact male run the streets (even though that's technically illegal in my town) so he knocks up all the females who were always screaming in heat in the streets... Oliver is fixed, so that may be why he doesn't get pissed, but he does get all excited and mews lol - we call him the kitty police... hopefully we won't have a feral problem again this year (we worked with the township to trap them and bring them to the shelter)

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two males that both don't like seeing strays here. Right now we have a gray one hangging around, and Satin lets him know he is NOT happy about him

Dakota follows the gray one until he is out of our yard and trots back with his tail up high letting me know he is PROUD of himself<G>

Depends on the cat I think

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow he does sound rather angry.
Gizmo doesn't really have much of a reaction to either male or female strays around here, although occasion he'll let out a low growl. Nothing quite pippi's growl though.

By the way here's the link to the video:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Pippi is sure angry. His aggression was redirected to Booja. He was frustrated because he could not go after the stray. He saw you feed it too which may have upset him more.
The next time, Pippi may not listen to you and chase after the stray. If the stray holds his ground you will have a cat fight in your hands.
Pippi is scared of him, when he see's him on the deck he growls like "oh no not him...yikes" and runs upstairs, I usually go up after him and hold him till he calms down, he kind of hang on to me like "protect me" he does growl at my other 2 cats when the stray male is around and thinks they are the enemy until he sniffs them and realizes that he knows them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wildflower79

Wow he does sound rather angry.
Gizmo doesn't really have much of a reaction to either male or female strays around here, although occasion he'll let out a low growl. Nothing quite pippi's growl though.

By the way here's the link to the video:
Thanks for posting the link, people have tried to explain to me how to do it but I just don't get it. I was surprised at his growl, it was like a bobcat or something.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't care, male or female. There's a couple of outdoor cats that come and sit in the garden to watch my bird feeder, they'll come up to the screen door and talk with my cats.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington goes berserk if there is a stray outside. He has a very special growl and scream that I know means 'get the hell out of here, you !!?/+++!!!' Then he will sometimes turn on whoever is next to him to get rid of the adrenaline. The others are always interested to see another cat outside but it doesn't bother them the same way. Wellington just knows he is the real man of the family and must protect us all from interlopers. But he accepts totally any cat I bring into the house.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can always tell when there is a feral or a stray outside our window, because all the cats just sit very quietly next to it (we usually have the blind down at night, so they actually nestle their way under the blind). They are all fixed now, but even before then, they were just more interested than scared/angry.

Last night - at around 5 in the morning - I was woken up by the sounds of cats fighting outside our house. I went downstairs to see how the kittens were doing and they were all crouched low on the ground. Last time this happened, they all congregated on the stairs and wouldn't move until the fighting stopped.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out the last two days.
My strays were outside and they come right up to the glass doors and peep in looking for me. My cats go berserk. Mary howls and screams and jumps at the glass like she is ready for a throwdown. All 5 and half pounds of her. Cleotis growls and crouches. He does a stare down. Seldon marches around all fluffed up but that is about it.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine just sits there looking out at the stray cat that roams around sometimes. He doesn't seem to be too bothered by it. When my kitty goes outside he looks like he is off on a business trip looking to see where the other cat has been. He wanders around the perimeter and once satisfied lies out on the grass like a little King! He doesn't fight or get involved which I am pleased about as a cat fight wouldn't be good at all. It was funny though as there was a stray that was quite sweet but it kept lying right outside our French windows and my cat was quite sweet to it, I got close to it and realised it was pregnant so I took it to the cat centre where a lovely lady took it home!