Something to mix with EVO...

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK,
Ever since I switched the kittens to EVO, I read all of the posts about awfully stinky poo, horrid gas, etc. and couldn't believe it because my two did have *some* gas at first (first 2-4 months), but never incredibly stinky poo,etc. Well, apparently, it just took longer to take effect...or the fact that I recently put a litter box in my bedroom (because that is where they are fed) may have increased my ability to notice the foul odor. At any rate, if they do go in the box in my room, the ENTIRE house smells for at least 2-3 hours after the deed (even after flushing the poo, using a room air filter, and spraying febreeze).

That said, I have been looking into switching their food entirely (I have a small bag of taste of the wild) BUT I must stick with the EVO until they finish their current supply and the unopened 15lb bag..so I've got about 4 months to go (at least). I don't want to open the taste of the wild until I am at the end of the EVO (as I want to switch them over to all taste of the wild). So I'm in the market for something reasonably priced to combine with the EVO (thinking 50/50) to help with the odor.

FYI: I am feeding 1 meal of EVO/dry in the morning and wet food at night (that is if I can get them to eat the wet food at night).

What I am thinking about trying is the "maxximum nutrition" brand of dry that is available at Walmart... at ~$12 for a 10lb bag it's quite reasonable and the ingredients look similar to nutro to me (which was what the kittens were on before EVO). I bought a small bag of the maxximum kitten food to try out so I'll post the ingredients list below:

chicken, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, poultry fat preserved with mixed tocopherols, brewer's rice, ground wheat, dried beet pulp, fish meal, dried whole eggs, natural flavors, potassium chloride, salt, dried brewer's yeast, fat product, choline chloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, protienated minerals, niacine, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, vitamin A suppliment, calcium supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulphate complex, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate

crude protein min 36%
crude fat min 22%
crude fiber max 2.5%
moisture max 10%
calcium min 1%
phosphorus min 0.8%
selinium min 0.3 mg/kg
vitamin E min 150 IU/kg
Taurine min 0.17%
Omega 6 fatty acids min 2.20%
Omega 3 fatty acids min 0.22%
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) min. 0.05%

Whew! That's a lot to type...please excuse any spelling errors.

All that said, the only things that I don't like about it are the corn glutin meal, wheat, and the "fat product" (although that is supposedly a source of DHA).

So, what do you think?

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may be a stupid question and I do apologize, but can't you return the unopened bag?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Violet

This may be a stupid question and I do apologize, but can't you return the unopened bag?
& depending on where you got it, you might be able to return the partially used one, too. i just got a bag of Katz-n-Flocken at Petco, & i mentioned i hadn't tried it before. the clerk told me if the cats wouldn't eat it, had difficulty w/it, etc. that they would give me a refund, even after it'd been opened.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a 15# bag of Nature's Variety Prairie Rabbit. Got it home to discover the kibble was the same size as the dog food!
With one toothless girl, no way was that going to fly. I returned the bag to the pet store where I purchased it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would return it....If I had ordered it in town. Unfortunately, I ordered it online through PFD and more than 30 days has passed since the order (so I can't return it). They aren't have digestive issues (diarrhea, etc.) just smelly poo...

Now, to add to the fun, one of my kittens has developed a UTI (suspected..taking to the vet tomorrow). And I know that EVO is not really UTI friendly, so hopefully the maxximum nutrition is...otherwise, I'll be heading to petco to get some nutro max.

Thanks for your help!
Art

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the maxxium is decent some of the quality is not there ie brewers rice is rice fragments ..

chicken, chicken meal
, corn gluten mealVery acceptable as it will aid in Uti health for it is a chicken based food, poultry fat preserved with mixed tocopherolsthis is usually a company BEING SMART.. ie likely it is a chicken fat but one company said to me they put poultry because there is a CHANCE of turkey fat getting in since the factory does both, brewer's ricequality ??? , ground wheatfine if no allergies to foods, dried beet pulp, fish mealWHOSE??, dried whole eggs??? about how well it is cooked, natural flavorscan be just about anything , potassium chloride, salttouch high, dried brewer's yeast, fat product, choline chloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, protienated minerals, niacine, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, vitamin A suppliment, calcium supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulphate complexsome ??? this ... at this pt in the ingrediants I am not worried and my vet agreed, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate

crude protein min 36%
crude fat min 22%

crude fiber max 2.5%
moisture max 10%
calcium min 1%
phosphorus min 0.8%
a touch high on the calcium for UTI health ... as it SAYS min and NOT max
selinium min 0.3 mg/kg
vitamin E min 150 IU/kg
Taurine min 0.17%
Omega 6 fatty acids min 2.20%
Omega 3 fatty acids min 0.22%
high for grocery low for premium
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) min. 0.05% this is a part of the omega three complex

I cant say UTI friendly as the MAGNESIUM % is missing

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

I would return it....If I had ordered it in town. Unfortunately, I ordered it online through PFD and more than 30 days has passed since the order (so I can't return it). They aren't have digestive issues (diarrhea, etc.) just smelly poo...

Thanks for your help!
Art
if your local pet store carries it, they'd probably be ok w/giving you store credit for the amount they charge... then you could buy something else there! worth asking, IMO!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies...

I'll look for a phone number or email addy on the maxximum bag to see if I can ask customer service about the magnesium and the ph as well...

Sharky- I've got emails in to some of the food companies I like (chicken soup, artemis, natural balance, etc.) to see what their percentages are on magnesium, ash, calcium, phosphorus, and ph. Hopefully they'll reply soon. I really like the ingredients in artemis and chicken soup...so hopefully one or both of those will work. I may just have to feed nutro max (and a lot of wet food) in the mean time. I also have an email in to taste of the wild (I have a 6lb bag that I haven't opened yet for the cats to try) but the info on the bag doesn't help much.

BTW, what are the percentages for magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, ash, and food ph that I should be looking for (i.e. the max percentages that are ok or are good for urinary health) in both wet and dry?

laureen- Unfortunately, none of the stores in town carry it...that's why I had to order it online. With the only petstores in town being petsmart and petco, my selection is very limited. I may end up donating it if I can't do anything else with it.

Thanks again!
Art

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Max meets the Uti % ... and will soon be recertified ... ie it is ACTUALLY tested for UTI safety by the FDA not a feed trial type thing ...

Dry food for cats who HAVE had uti issues
magnesium under .09 MOst will recomend under .085

calcium MAX 1% prefer under .9

phos MAX.9 prefer under .7

wet food
magnesium under.025 prefer .022

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
don't know where in Alabama you live... but i did a search from the Evo website based on Montgomery, & here're the results:
Hound Dog Enterprises
\t\t\t\t5343 Hwy 17
\t\t\tHelena, AL 35080
\t\t\t(205) 664-8708
\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\tPet Supplies Plus #8011
\t\t\t\t2415 Eastern Blvd.
\t\t\tMontgomery, AL 36117
you can go there & put in a zip code & it'll tell you where you can find it.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the info...

Niles is still at the vet's (had to keep him overnight to get a urin sample)...so the verdict is still out on that issue.

Hopefully some of the food companies I emailed will reply about their percentages. Right now I'm thinking mixing 50/50 EVO and the maxximum nutrition food for his dry and then feeding about 50% wet food...NB seems to be UTI friendly due to its magnesium levels...

laureen- Thanks, I live about 1.5 hours away from Montegomery, so it would cost more in gas to take the food back than it is worth... I'll have to wait and see how the UTI situation pans out before making a decision on what to do with the EVO.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

laureen- Thanks, I live about 1.5 hours away from Montegomery, so it would cost more in gas to take the food back than it is worth... I'll have to wait and see how the UTI situation pans out before making a decision on what to do with the EVO.
if you go to their site, tho, you can enter your own zip & city & see if there's anywhere closer. i just picked Montgomery because it's the capital!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find an issue and you want to change. Go ahead and donate it to someone feeding ferals or to a shelter. No need to suffer the stench so long. Poor you.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey folks, many of the companies I emailed have replied back, so here are the percentages for chickensoup (dry and wet), natural balance, and taste of the wild. It was surprising to me that both chicken soup and taste of the wild had lysine in them... Also, I got two different sets of percentages for the natural balance cans (odd) so if you want the percentages for the other varieties, I can post that. Sorry about the long list of info:
Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover’s soul (wet food)
\t\tAs fed\t\t\tDry matter
Ash\t\t1.7 \t%\t\t6.8 \t%
Calcium\t\t0.60 \t%\t\t2.5 \t%
Phosphorus\t0.40 \t%\t\t1.6 \t%
Magnesium\t0.03 \t%\t\t0.1 \t%

Chicken Soup for the cat lover’s soul Adult (wet food)
\t\tAs fed\t\t\tDry matter
Ash\t\t2.1 \t%\t\t8.6 \t%
Calcium\t\t0.55 \t%\t\t2.3 \t%
Phosphorus\t0.39 \t%\t\t1.6 \t%
Magnesium\t0.03 \t%\t\t0.1 \t%

Chicken soup for the kitten lover’s soul (dry)
Ash\t\t7.6 \t%\t\t8.3 \t%
Calcium\t\t1.50 \t%\t\t1.64 \t%
Phosphorus\t1.20 \t%\t\t1.31 \t%
Magnesium\t0.10 \t%\t\t0.11 \t%
Lysine\t\t1.66 \t%\t\t1.8 \t%

Chicken soup for the cat lover’s soul (adult dry)
Ash\t\t6.1 \t%\t\t6.7 \t%
Calcium\t\t1.00 \t%\t\t1.09 \t%
Phosphorus\t0.90 \t%\t\t0.98 \t%
Magnesium\t0.09 \t%\t\t0.10 \t%

Taste of the Wild feline (dry)
Ash\t\t8.9 \t%\t\t9.7 \t%
Calcium\t\t1.90 \t%\t\t2.08 \t%
Phosphorus\t1.20 \t%\t\t1.31 \t%
Magnesium\t0.12 \t%\t\t0.13 \t%

Natural Balance canned foods
Duck and Green Pea & Venison and Green Pea Canned Formula:
Phosphorus: 0.36%
Calcium: 0.38%
Magnesium: 0.03%
Ash: 1.9%
Calories: 156 kcal per 6 oz. can
Urine pH: 6.2 – 6.4

Ultra Premium Dry Cat Formula:
Phosphorus: 1.46%
Calcium: 1.98%
Magnesium: 0.11%
Ash: 6.5%
Calories: 553 kcal per 8 oz. cup

Green Pea and Duck Dry Cat Formula:
Phosphorus: 1.03%
Calcium: 1.58%
Magnesium: 0.13%
Ash: 6.6%
Calories: 409 kcal per 8 oz. cup

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lysine is found is SMALL amount s in MANY premium foods as it does aid it prevention

Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover’s soul (wet food)
As fed Dry matter
Ash 1.7 % 6.8 %
Calcium 0.60 % 2.5 %
Phosphorus 0.40 % 1.6 %
Magnesium 0.03 % 0.1 %

Chicken Soup for the cat lover’s soul Adult (wet food)
As fed Dry matter
Ash 2.1 % 8.6 %
Calcium 0.55 % 2.3 %
Phosphorus 0.39 % 1.6 %
Magnesium 0.03 % 0.1 %

Chicken soup for the kitten lover’s soul (dry)
Ash 7.6 % 8.3 %
Calcium 1.50 % 1.64 %
Phosphorus 1.20 % 1.31 %
Magnesium 0.10 % 0.11 %
Lysine 1.66 % 1.8 %
mag is out of general UTI health range and the pho and calcium are high ... great for a none prone kitty

Chicken soup for the cat lover’s soul (adult dry)
Ash 6.1 % 6.7 %
Calcium 1.00 % 1.09 %
Phosphorus 0.90 % 0.98 %
Magnesium 0.09 % 0.10 %
the highest Magnesium for a UTI cat

Taste of the Wild feline (dry)
Ash 8.9 % 9.7 %
Calcium 1.90 % 2.08 %
Phosphorus 1.20 % 1.31 %
Magnesium 0.12 % 0.13 %
OUTside of UTI guidelines and HIGH for a normal cat

Natural Balance canned foods
Duck and Green Pea & Venison and Green Pea Canned Formula:
Phosphorus: 0.36%
Calcium: 0.38%
Magnesium: 0.03%
??? as feed OR dry matter ???? it appears to be a guarentee analysis
Ash: 1.9%
Calories: 156 kcal per 6 oz. can

Ultra Premium Dry Cat Formula:
Phosphorus: 1.46%
Calcium: 1.98%
a bit high for many cats not just uti
Magnesium: 0.11% NOT uti and actually a touch high for prevention
Ash: 6.5%
Calories: 553 kcal per 8 oz. cup

Green Pea and Duck Dry Cat Formula:
Phosphorus: 1.03%
Calcium: 1.58%
Not for UTI but in the " normal" for normal cats ...
Magnesium: 0.13%WAY to high for UTI prone
Ash: 6.6%
Calories: 409 kcal per 8 oz. cup
Urine pH: 6.2 – 6.4 this seems a bit low as most aim for 6.5 ish

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got him back from the vet's today...
urin ph was 6.0 (isn't that good?)
she only saw 2 crystals and some bacteria in the urinalysis...no blood, etc.
Sent home with perscription of antibiotics, pain meds, and some cosequin.

For right now, I'll stick to feeding him 50% wet food (the NB venison pea, etc.) and 50% of the EVO/Maxximum nutrition mix. I'll get him some of the max cat adult dry asap. I'm hoping that the authority cans (the petsmart brand) are more UTI friendly, as it sounds like the NB cans aren't particularly good. I haven't had luck getting him to eat any of the nutro cans in the past (texture I think).

Thanks for the input.
Art