Incredable intelligence

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just watching Tomnus jump from the floor to the counter and land, I'm assuming, right where he wanted to go and it dawned on me. They do what we have to work out(trajectory and such) in there heads. That proves to me that they have increasable intelligence. If you doubt that come over to my house and watch Tom try to get into the box of teats that I have on my filing cabinet. He will try for hours to get that thing open and you can just tell he is deep in thought.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find that incredible too.
When my cat Tilly broke her leg and so had to be crated, allowing only small periods of exercise, she lost a ball under the sofa. She was then crated for over 3 hours, and the next time she was allowed out she went straight to the ball and fished it out from under the sofa.
I was so amazed that she'd remembered and bothered to get it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

I was so amazed that she'd remembered and bothered to get it.
Ana lost a sparkle pompom under the washing machine, for several days she kept going back trying to get it out. Finally I got it out without her seeing me but she continued to go back.
So I put another one under, then let her see me getting it out. She didn't go back after that.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talley doesn't qualify for this group of smart cats.
She has taken up DareDevil activities that are more likely to get her hurt or give me a heart attack. But you can see her planning, rethinking and then going for it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Java can jump from the bathroom counter to the top of the towel bar - a good 3-4 feet in distance, about 1-2 feet in height, & landing on a surface of about 2 inches wide - & cylindrical, to boot!
this is why my bathroom door stays closed, too!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

I was just watching Tomnus jump from the floor to the counter and land, I'm assuming, right where he wanted to go and it dawned on me. They do what we have to work out(trajectory and such) in there heads.
That came upon me one day when I was sitting in a physics class a few years ago! They were talking about how to calculate trajectories, and there is so much to take into consideration. I think the professor mentioned something like a tiger just off-hand as the subject for an example he was giving, and it made me think about all those different factors that need to be taken into account for a simple leap (even more so for a leap to catch prey!) How amazing is it that cats and other animals are just able to size up such precise jumps in a split second!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats proved to me tonight how brilliant they are.
I was playing with the red laser when I put it down. Seldon took his paw and pushed it back at me like we aren't done yet. I thought he thought it came from nowhere but all along he knew it was the laser.