Triming nails

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you trim the back nails of a cat, like how short should I take them and what should I use. Toms nails are getting really really long and they need to be trimmed but I don't want to hurt him so any advice would be great.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I use nail clippers made for Cats. You need to watch for the blood vein. You need to cut the nail just below it.
i use these... if you've never clipped them, be prepared for a struggle. you might want to try to catch him napping & do them then. also, if he's uncooperative, then only do a few at a time.
that 'blood vein' thing always gave me trouble. mine all have white claws, so i look for the pink. like our nails - only clip the completely white portion - the pink is the quick, just like ours.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use people nail clippers and do it very quickly with a big treat after. I always get someone else to hold. Never clip the pink part and do it in the light. Hold a lamp under the nails to get a better look if you have trouble.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trim front and back the same. Sometimes its harder to do the back, but they are at least checked. They don't grow as fast and need clipping less often.

Start by taking a little at a time. You will still need to look for that pink vein in the middle. My guys are taught to lay on their backs/butt in my lap while I hold them still to do the back feet.

If you still don't want to do them, take your cat to the vet and have the vet tech show you how to hold him and trim the back nails

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catnapt

where can you get those in size small, that's what i need
I got mine from a pet supply shop in Australia
I'm pretty sure they are size small.

Try ebay, they have similar products