Look at my new plant! It's a purple passion! Unique!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the plant I bought about a week ago! I've never seen a plant like it and I feel in love with it. I'm not much of a plant person, so we'll see if I can keep it alive

Does anyone have a plant like this? Could you tell me anything about it?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! I've never seen one either! I couldn't help, but buy one!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

The colour is Terrific!
never see it before!...
Thanks for share the pic´s!..
The purple is from these really dark purple hairs on the plant. It's fluzzy! Like a cat

Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

ooo, it's very pretty...

...that'd be great in PINK...
Ooooo pink would be nice!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooohh freaky! I've never seen that before either. That purple really glows. Cool!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, it's odd looking, but I like it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a couple of those, and they were one of my Dad's favourite plants.

They are a finicky to grow. Sun, but not too much. Water but not too much or too little. And they don't like cold or drafts.

You will make mistakes as you go along, but once you figure out it's "temperment", you should be able to successfully keep it alive
Once you find a place where it thrives, don't move it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2570/

http://en.allexperts.com/q/House-Pla...sion-plant.htm

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-b...8;t=000079;p=0

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ion_plant.html

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told it is very finicky about the water! Not good for someone that dosen't know much about plants!

Thanks for the info!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I found is that they are dust/hair magnets because of the velvet texture of the leaves. Do not spray or wipe the leaves. To clean them use a soft clean cosmetic brush to sweep away the dust and hair. And I think if I'm remembering right, they don't like high humidity.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of those. Actually, it is my mom's, but now belongs to me. They were very popular in the 70s and I think only very few people have them now.

I water every couple of days when the dirt starts to get pretty dry. Just make sure they get plenty of sunlight and you can always start another one with a cutting.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother had at least one of those. That woman could make any plant grow - but I certainly didn't inherit that talent!
I always liked that plant...it felt so cool, like natural velvet.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several over the years. I start with a small one and as it matures I make cuttings from it.

When the adult plant matures it will bloom yellow, really STINKY flowers. If you see flower buds, you want to pinch them off and NOT let them bloom.

If the plant becomes too leggy and the stems are getting very woody, you toss it and start again with the cuttings you've made.

To keep it looking nice and bushy, you need to pinch growing tips as you would on a coleus.

I like the purple passion - it's a really unique plant!!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have several and I loved them. They didn't seem all that finicky to me, I put mine in a window and watered when they told me they needed it (leaves begin to droop). They would get very purple and fuzzy and occasionally grow a flower or two. When you trim it back, put the cuttings into water and it will grow roots, then you can plant it in dirt. At one time DH absolutely forbade me to put any more cutting in water, cause we had them all over the house.
Unfortunately, bugs (mites? I forget what they were exactly) got onto one of mine and spread to all of them, so they all died.