Has your cat ever given you a black eye?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie tripped me on the stairs last night, and I managed to fall face first into the handrail. intouhz77ujhzzzz (Jamie's
) My eye was red and swollen this morning, despite an ice pack last night, but now it's turning the most "lovely" shades of violet and deep purple.

Do you think I should just apply some purple eye shadow to my right eye, to balance things out? I can't very well wear sunglasses to work next week.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch I bet that hurt!! Purple eye shadow on the other eye and concealer on the wounded eye sounds like a good solution to me!

DH tripped over Spike (puppy) once and fell on top of him. Spike broke his nose and DH sprained an ankle. Thank heavens that Jamie wasn't hurt also!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And, given that your colleagues DO know about Jamie, I can imagine that they won't have any difficulty believing "the cat did it". I can even hear them asking, "Jamie been beating up on you?"

Actually, it's a wonder Cindy hasn't tripped me up llike that. She only has about six opportunities for every two feet of distance travelled!

That plan of concealment sounds good, and perhaps by Monday your rainbow will have faded some. Glad you (and Jamie) weren't hurt any worse.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
id just tell them the cat beat me up if i were you. i got beat up by a wing back chair when i was teenager and blacked both eyes, broke my nose and bit thru both my lips -- (seriously)

i had a midterm in band the next day and my mom wrote my teacher a note saying i couldnt play because i fought with the chair and the chair won.

i think the purple shadow will draw more attn to it. id go with concealer and a neutral shadow (or skip shadow altogether and just go with mascara.) id wear dark or bright lipstick to draw attention away from the eyes. i
make up.

and if anyone asks, just tell them - your cat beat you up LOL

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol no but I have been given black eyes and concussions from dogs lol. I have tripped over Smidgeon more times than I would care to count. But neither one of us has been injured lol.

I think the whole "My cat beat me up" excuse should be good enough

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! The cat knocked a bottle of cough syrup I had on my headboard (and it was glass, of course, therefore heavier) and hit me right in the eye! It was the same color eye shadow I usually used, so no problem there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyCatsWSQ

Lol no but I have been given black eyes and concussions from dogs lol. I have tripped over Smidgeon more times than I would care to count. But neither one of us has been injured lol.

I think the whole "My cat beat me up" excuse should be good enough
Dogs, IME, can cause worse injuries. We had a Boxer who loved to sprawl out on the stone tiles in our kitchen in hot weather. One day when I was trying to step over him, he suddenly got up, and sent me reeling into the opened door of our dishwasher. Result: broken ankle. Another time I visited my parents after a two-year absence (I live in Europe), and one of their Labs was so excited to see me that he jumped off the landing of the stairway, and landed right on my foot. Result: broken big toe.

I guess I sound awfully accident-prone!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jamie tripped me on the stairs last night, and I managed to fall face first into the handrail.
Ouch, that had to hurt. I have had my bobcats smack me in the face really hard, but they never hit me in the eye....yet
Carmelo will stick his paws through the enclosure, grab me and slam my head/face into the wire panels, just so he can groom me
No black eye from that yet either
I have tripped over my cats many times though, when they decide to run between my legs at that perfect moment. I really believe cats do that just to see if they can trip you

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, it's kinda funny...our former local quarterback of our pro football team got a sprained ankle or something, and he said he fell down the stairs because his Lab tripped him.

He got a LOT of flak - people thinking he made up the story, etc. etc...

Anyone who has a Lab KNOWS that that is EXACTLY what Labs do; run right between your feet as you negotiate the stairway!
I totally believed him!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not my cats. However, I did get a black eye from a dog kennel... I was working at a dog daycare/boarding place, and I was putting a dog back in a kennel one day, and the kennel doors have this piece that sticks out with a rounded end which is the door latch... I was crouching because I'd just taken the dog's leash off, and when I closed the kennel door I was still partly crouching, and I banged the metal latch right into my eye socket! OW! Luckily I only got a very pale bruise (although very painful) because I don't think people would believe me if I told them I ran into a door...

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

You know, it's kinda funny...our former local quarterback of our pro football team got a sprained ankle or something, and he said he fell down the stairs because his Lab tripped him.

He got a LOT of flak - people thinking he made up the story, etc. etc...

Anyone who has a Lab KNOWS that that is EXACTLY what Labs do; run right between your feet as you negotiate the stairway!
I totally believed him!
I lived in CO when that happened and I know just who you are talking about. People were like uh..yeah..sure the dog made you do it.

My cats have never injured me except by grooming my face raw.

x~tracey~x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im tripped up regular by my cats they especially like the stairs,especially if im carrying something!!.Worst injury though my old cat Travis fell out of the windowsill in my bedroom and landed on my head in his panic the claws come out and he badly scratched both my eyelids(I was sleeping lol) that was really painfull.My dog isnt so good either the other day she come running at me full speed(shes a greyhound so this was quite quick!) As i bent down to greet her, not good idea! she caught my face blood everywhere she actually pushed my tooth through my lip!! im sure they dont meen to seriously injure those who love them hmmmmm!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just tell people you got into a bar fight
hehee
black eye no. But the dog we had a kid broke my mothers ankle.. ehehe she was in full run mode and my mom walkd right in front of her

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am constantly tripping over my Rat Terrier mix... I swear he does it on purpose! Luckily for both of us I have fast reflexes and am fairly agile, so when I trip and almost LAND on him I am able to hop over and land on my feet.
Whenever we go on walks with other people, he will pick one person and keep stepping in front of them and trying to trip them!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
No black eye, but puncture wounds, bruises and facial gashes haha... Oliver occasionally likes to attach himself to my leg, often leaving fang wounds which bruise (refer to that Cat Ailments thread that had been started haha) and a lot of times in the mornings, if I'm not up and he wants me to be, he'll stand on my and put a paw on my face, well the one time he did it, he had lost a soft paw over night and therefore had a giant talon which even retracted stuck out and he gashed me under the eye... ugh

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live with PJ & Punky, the leg mastahs. They weave in/out of your feet as you go up the stairs, while Dorky Fish latches onto one leg.

I've had a fair number of bloody noses & thankfully nothing more than sprained toes!

cat_lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i can just see that happening!my cat has triped me on the stairs! but i managed to catch my balance! concealer would probally work best! good vibes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Update: My eyelid is a beautiful shade of deep violet now, so it's going to take a lot of work concealing it tomorrow morning. That's not the worst of it, though. I've been experiencing a lot of pain getting out of chairs, and finally decided to go to the ER today, because walking any distance is painful, too. I've got two cracked ribs on my left side! My left hip and left knee are just badly bruised - they were X-rayed, too.

The X-ray technician thought Jamie should be charged with assault.