TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I need your maccaroni and cheese recipes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need your maccaroni and cheese recipes!

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
My mother used to make it a lot from time to time. Her recipe changed once we moved here and it hasn't tasted the same since.

I have a litre of milk sitting in the fridge that has to be used up by tomorrow evening because we are going on holidays and i thought that for a late afternoon lunch this would be perfect along with a delicious feta and tomato salad.

P.s packaged maccaroni and cheese does not count :P
post #2 of 22
Hi - I always add a teaspoon of English mustard - it perks up what can be a bland dish vey nicely - plus a generous pinch of coarsely ground plack pepper. Wouldn't serve Mac cheese with feta 'though - too much fat!
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciapj View Post
Hi - I always add a teaspoon of English mustard - it perks up what can be a bland dish vey nicely - plus a generous pinch of coarsely ground plack pepper. Wouldn't serve Mac cheese with feta 'though - too much fat!

Dont worry, my FH is a matchstick, he can eat what he wants and not put on an ounce
post #4 of 22
1 pound of macaroni or prefered noodle
1 pound of cheese (1/2 cheddar 1/2 monty jack)
1 ounce Velveeta (cubed)
3TBL Butter
4TBL Flour
2 cups Milk
Salt, pepper, dry mustard (to taste)

Cook the noodle and drain
Melt butter in large pan, add flour and a little milk to make a paste. Low Heat. Slowly add 2c milk (stirring so it doesnt get lumpy). Heat until almost boiling stirring constantly. Slowly add all cheese and stir until completely melted. Add seasoning, pour over noodles in a 9x13 baking dish. Cook at 350 for 25-35 minutes and enjoy!
(Oh, it also freezes well!)
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa View Post
1 pound of macaroni or prefered noodle
1 pound of cheese (1/2 cheddar 1/2 monty jack)
1 ounce Velveeta (cubed)
3TBL Butter
4TBL Flour
2 cups Milk
Salt, pepper, dry mustard (to taste)

Cook the noodle and drain
Melt butter in large pan, add flour and a little milk to make a paste. Low Heat. Slowly add 2c milk (stirring so it doesnt get lumpy). Heat until almost boiling stirring constantly. Slowly add all cheese and stir until completely melted. Add seasoning, pour over noodles in a 9x13 baking dish. Cook at 350 for 25-35 minutes and enjoy!
(Oh, it also freezes well!)
Hmmm, I'm not a fan of processed cheese like Velveeta but I could see where it would make this dish creamier.
post #6 of 22
I've never actually made it from scratch but I believe the best mac/cheese i've ever eaten was at the Ritz Carlton in DC. They used gouda cheese and baked it in a small souffle (sp) dish.
post #7 of 22
Mm, gouda! Im not a fan of processed cheese either, but in that recipe it does make it a little smoother and you cant taste the velveeta flavor.
post #8 of 22
Sorry I don't know the usual measurements (mainly to do with the fact its nearly 2am here in England and I'm ever so slightly pissed) but when I make Macaroni cheese, mainly I boil up the pasta, fry off some smoked bacon and then chop that into matchsticks, make a bechamel sauce and add some grated gruyere to that until it melts, and then stir everything together, add it to a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs and then bake it until the breadcrumbs are nice and brown.

I'll see if I can't think of the measurements in the morning and then write them down, you can use any type of cheese but I just like using either gruyere, extra mature cheddar, or even smoked applewood.
post #9 of 22
Okay I dont use a recipe so lets see if I can pull this off, normally I make the noodles, drain them, use maybe 2 cups of milk and a bunch of whichever cheese you have lying around, probably 3 tbsp of butter, and bring it to a boil, then mix the 2 together and add any additional topping the kids may want! Sometimes I add the crunchy stuff to it to add some spark, (the crunchy stuff you put on green been casarole, dont know what its called) then if you want to add any ham, hotdogs, whatever, its good with anything!
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Okay I dont use a recipe so lets see if I can pull this off, normally I make the noodles, drain them, use maybe 2 cups of milk and a bunch of whichever cheese you have lying around, probably 3 tbsp of butter, and bring it to a boil, then mix the 2 together and add any additional topping the kids may want! Sometimes I add the crunchy stuff to it to add some spark, (the crunchy stuff you put on green been casarole, dont know what its called) then if you want to add any ham, hotdogs, whatever, its good with anything!

I highly doubt ill be adding kitty kibbles


Thanks for the advice guys, i dont know what veelvetta is, we dont have it over here.
post #11 of 22
Velveeta is processed cheese, youre not missing anything by not having it. You can skip it or just add a little extra regular cheese.
(and the stuff on top of green bean casserole, probably french fried onions from a can)
post #12 of 22
Instead of milk and butter I use plain creamy yogurt & mix before serving, it makes it so very good!
post #13 of 22
[1]even if your normal preference in cheese is for mild stuff, don't use mild cheese here...break down and get the extra old cheddar.
[2]even if you don't go for hot stuff, don't leave out the mustard, and in fact you can even add a little cayenne...they really wake up the cheese.

BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE


2 c \tMacaroni
3 c \tThin White Sauce*
1/2 lb Extra Old White Cheddar (generous)
1 tsp \tDry Mustard

Cook and drain macaroni. Combine white sauce, mustard and cheese. Mix until well blended. Add cooked macaroni. Pour into 11 x 7 baking dish sprinkle generously with MORE grated cheese. Bake in 375 oven about 25 min. Brown under broiler to suit

*My white sauce is 4 tbsps Butter, 3 tbsps Flour, 3 c Milk, Pepper

Enjoy! don't be stingy with the cheese
post #14 of 22
These sound so good! I think I'm going to try Rapunzel's vegetarian version, but throw in some gruyere and some bread crumbs from Wickedkitten's. Thanks for starting this thread, Fwan!
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, i dont know what veelvetta is, we dont have it over here.
here's a link: velveeta. you might have something similar, different name.
the crunchy stuff glitch is talking about is French's French Fried Onions, btw.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
[1]even if your normal preference in cheese is for mild stuff, don't use mild cheese here...break down and get the extra old cheddar.
[2]even if you don't go for hot stuff, don't leave out the mustard, and in fact you can even add a little cayenne...they really wake up the cheese.

BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE


2 c \tMacaroni
3 c \tThin White Sauce*
1/2 lb Extra Old White Cheddar (generous)
1 tsp \tDry Mustard

Cook and drain macaroni. Combine white sauce, mustard and cheese. Mix until well blended. Add cooked macaroni. Pour into 11 x 7 baking dish sprinkle generously with MORE grated cheese. Bake in 375 oven about 25 min. Brown under broiler to suit

*My white sauce is 4 tbsps Butter, 3 tbsps Flour, 3 c Milk, Pepper

Enjoy! don't be stingy with the cheese
That is how I make mine. lots of cheese
post #17 of 22
Kraft dinner, no milk or margarine. Cook noodes, add the cheese, add a can of crushed tomatoes, add some basil and oregano and pepper to taste.
post #18 of 22
Oh man, they all sound so good!
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
[1]even if your normal preference in cheese is for mild stuff, don't use mild cheese here...break down and get the extra old cheddar.
[2]even if you don't go for hot stuff, don't leave out the mustard, and in fact you can even add a little cayenne...they really wake up the cheese.

BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE


2 c \tMacaroni
3 c \tThin White Sauce*
1/2 lb Extra Old White Cheddar (generous)
1 tsp \tDry Mustard

Cook and drain macaroni. Combine white sauce, mustard and cheese. Mix until well blended. Add cooked macaroni. Pour into 11 x 7 baking dish sprinkle generously with MORE grated cheese. Bake in 375 oven about 25 min. Brown under broiler to suit

*My white sauce is 4 tbsps Butter, 3 tbsps Flour, 3 c Milk, Pepper

Enjoy! don't be stingy with the cheese
That's exactly my recipe, but when making the white sauce, I saute a little bit of finely minced onion with the butter before adding the flour.
post #20 of 22
I make up quantities as I go along, I'm afraid.... sorry... I adjust them to suit how much or how little macaroni I'm making, so I have only rough estimates.

1 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup plain white flour
1 cup full fat milk
1 medium sized block english cheddar (preferably a coloured cheddar too), grated
English red Leicester cheese (for decoration on top.... ), grated
breadcrumbs
1 tsp English mustard
ground black pepper to taste.


Cook your pasta, you know how to do that! Remember a tbsp of cooking oil to stop it all sticking together - and while you are doing that, melt the butter on a low temp. Add the flour (not all of it) and keep stirring making sure the flour doesn't burn. Turn the heat up a little. Add milk, cheddar and the last of the flour alternately (little bits at a time) and stir vigorously with a whisk to make sure there are no lumps. No-one likes lumpy macaroni cheese! You can always adjust the quantities of milk, cheese and flour as you go along. Add mustard. Add salt and pepper.

Add pasta. Voila!

Sprinkle the red Leicester and breadcrumbs on top and stick in the oven for a few minutes, just to let it go crispy on top Mmmmm!

I have been known to substitute the full fat milk with a cooking cream and it turns out ooooh so goood! I will also add bits of bacon and onion as well.
post #21 of 22
i always thought this one sounded good... Alton Brown's Baked Macaroni & Cheese
but i like the box kind fine, so i've never tried it.

of course, i ALWAYS add extra real to my Kraft mac-n-cheese!
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilleKat View Post
1 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup plain white flour
1 cup full fat milk
1 medium sized block english cheddar (preferably a coloured cheddar too), grated
English red Leicester cheese (for decoration on top.... ), grated
breadcrumbs
1 tsp English mustard
ground black pepper to taste.
Sounds pretty similar to the recipe I use, haven't made it in a while though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I need your maccaroni and cheese recipes!