The Tale of the Disappearing Post ~ A TCS Mystery!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some members change the color/font/font size according to their personal preferences. While I understand the effort to set oneself apart from the crowd, it has been brought to my attention that some of these colors make the post almost invisible when using some of the skins.

I was wondering what you do when you encounter a post you can't really read...are you interested enough to change the skin? Do you squint madly to try to suss out the poster's intent? Or do you just move on?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my skin set to green eyes and I don't think I've had a problem reading posts.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have to choose "other".

I won't change the skin I'm using, but it does depend on who it is that's posting (i.e. how interesting I'll likely find the post
). If it's an off color (i.e. dark blue when I'm in Night Vision, or light yellow when I'm in Default or Office Hours), I'll just highlight the text to get it to become visible.

If it's just an annoying color in how my brain translates the color, then it depends on how long the post is. If it's short, I'll deal with it and squint a little.
If it's a long post, I'll likely skip it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I won't change the skin I'm using, but it does depend on who it is that's posting (i.e. how interesting I'll likely find the post
). If it's an off color (i.e. dark blue when I'm in Night Vision, or light yellow when I'm in Default or Office Hours), I'll just highlight the text to get it to become visible.

If it's just an annoying color in how my brain translates the color, then it depends on how long the post is. If it's short, I'll deal with it and squint a little.
If it's a long post, I'll likely skip it.
Okay, that is way beyond the scope of the poll!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Some members change the color/font/font size according to their personal preferences. While I understand the effort to set oneself apart from the crowd, it has been brought to my attention that some of these colors make the post almost invisible when using some of the skins.

I was wondering what you do when you encounter a post you can't really read...are you interested enough to change the skin? Do you squint madly to try to suss out the poster's intent? Or do you just move on?
Mm i used to get yelled at for changing my text colours, and then other people started doing it and it annoyed me. Now i just stick with this plain old blue. Thankfully my theme can read most colours, but there is one person who posts all of her stuff in bright PINK!!! Which does hurt my eyes

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine's set to Office Hours and I have no problem reading posts...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TBH, when I see a post in a colour other than the default, I find it hard to read. So in those cases I just ignore the post and carry on reading the others.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Highlight it if the post looks like it has any content to it, otherwise I skip it. I don't like any colors either, it clashes (and no, I don't mean with a skin but with what I sort of mentally see). If there's a purpose for using different colors, like sharky's color coding, then it's ok.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havn't had that problem yet. I use the name me june contest theme. There are some user names I have a problem seeing if they are in light, light colors. It does get on my nerves when someone posts in a bright color (like hot pink
) because it is really hard on my eyes.

I am guilty of using dark blue to type in sometimes. I thought that no one would have a problem seeing it...my bad.
Sometimes I do get in the mood to change the font size (I always try to make sure its not too big though), to use bold font, or to change the font....but I won't change the font color any more.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the night vision one, and theres a couple peoples colors that get to me, but I normally turn the computer sideways and suck it up! If its just too long it will get skipped though... I love being able to use the different colors, but with everyone having a different background it can be difficult! I like the white letters when you're on nigh vision! Makes it so easy to read! Everyones shows up in white letters just as long as they dont change the color too!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
actually, i highlight the print if i find it hard to read - that usually does the trick!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the June Name Me Contest Skin - and thus have had no problems viewing the fonts.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i find it time consuming to change colours,

I just use the Purrrrple skin and dont change it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually skim over or completely by-pass coloured posts, the skin I use (purrrples) doesn't make them hard to see I just find the colours a bit hard on my eyes.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If i post Happy Birthday etc... in the birthday thread i do it in colour, along with captions in Rosie, Sophie and Jacks pics, but it's not a full post of coloured text and that's what makes a huge difference. So if someone makes a post in say all pink text then i'm afraid your post won't get read because it's too much for the eyes.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, as a mod, I need to read the threads even if they are in a colour that bothers my eyes. I dread seeing the coloured fonts. I do however believe there is a place for coloured fonts, such as in Paws and Reflect to indicate different cats "talking", or as Susan says, in her photo posts re Jack, Rosie and Sophie - things like that.

I also cringe when I see folks who have changed their fonts to a larger size which I have actually gone into and changed to the normal font but unfortunately I don't always have time to change all the posts.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Originally Posted by valanhb

If it's something that highlighting won't easily fix I usually move on. This is also why I just use the default text settings.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using the Name me - June contest skin and I love it! I never have problems reading posts with it.