Poop analysis

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Lily being my first indoor cat, I've started monitoring her poops...
They're really disgusting!
She poops right next to the litter box, but I think it's a matter of her not liking to poop where her pee is, so have bought her another one which seems to have fixed the problem, but for the past few days her poop has been looking a bit different, ie, stinking a LOT, and this morning for the first time I looked and saw some little white bits in it... like 2mm x 1mm white tubes sort of... this really freaked me out, like it could be worms or something?
I treat her with revolution,the one that does worms and fleas and ticks, but I think she's due for her next treatment just next week. Will it do harm if I treat her too early?
She's booked into the vet but Tuesday is the earliest I can get, it's only Friday afternoon now!

I would have taken a photo (yuck!) but had no camera, and I wasn't going to leave that stinky thing lying around til I got one!
Does anyone have any photos of healthy poop?

I'm going to try switching her food to Science Diet rather than Optimum that I'm feeding now... they're Australian brands, not sure if they're in America also though...

Any advice before my vet trip would be much appreciated!!

TIA

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi ! For your description it looks like worms, my vet gives me a pill Drontal for my cats when they have them, as yours just to be sure.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds vaguely like tapeworms, to me... are there little pieces stuck around her anal area? about the size & shape of really small grains of rice?
tapeworms are carried by fleas. i think you have to use a wormer [from the vet] to kill them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tapes aren't covered by Revolution...not all kinds of worms are. You might want to bring a stool sample to the vet visit with you to be analyzed there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

sounds vaguely like tapeworms, to me... are there little pieces stuck around her anal area? about the size & shape of really small grains of rice?
tapeworms are carried by fleas. i think you have to use a wormer [from the vet] to kill them.
Exactly the description I should have posted myself, just like little teeny grains of rice... no little pieces stuck around her area but she's long haired and wouldn't let me look for long.
I hope Tuesday is early enough...
A few days ago I noticed a few fleas on her! I don't know where she's getting them!! She doesn't go outside! Unless she's gotten them from Memphis, but he doesn't have them as far as I'm aware... though he is black, so harder to tell...

Either way, she won't be TOO uncomfortable until Tuesday will she?? I feel SO bad for her! I'm going to my boyfriend's tonight and she'll be here alone, I feel so so guilty!
She definitely has me wrapped around her paw...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The revolution may not be working on her. While she's at the vet appt, ask the vet for a different frela preventative like Frontline Plus.

You'll want to invest in a flea comb & start combing her. Whatever you do, please do not use an OTC flea treatments (shampoos, collars, drops, etc). And make sure you do not treat her with something for fleas & then use something else. Both OTC flea treatments can be harmful, and too much flea chemicals can be harmful as well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't think the tapeworms cause any discomfort... but she's not getting all of her nutrition [they're bloodsucking parasites].

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Whatever you do, please do not use an OTC flea treatments
Frontline, Advantage, Drontol etc. are all OTC over here. The ones to avoid are the supermarket brands like Exelpet.

You can keep her on Optimum, it's better than Science Diet.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Frontline, Advantage, Drontol etc. are all OTC over here. The ones to avoid are the supermarket brands like Exelpet.

You can keep her on Optimum, it's better than Science Diet.
I was aware of not buying other OTC products... but will def ask vet about alternatives.

Is there another food you could recommend missymotus? Optimum is making her poops waayyyy too stinky... a lot stinkier than when she was eating Science Diet.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she does better on SD then by all means feed her that, it's just the ingredients are not great for the price.

I know some of the other Aus states has a few choices I don't in SA, Royal Canin's pretty much the best I can get.
Eagle pack is good but they didn't like it. The RC Exigent they like and their tummies are fine, I've had issues with Demetri on a few other foods. RC will send samples of their different varieties if you email them too

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realize your vet exam is over but I have used Tradewinds tabs for tapeworm...they are OTC, sold at Petco/Petsmart and if I remember correctly, the same ingredient and dose as the pill the vet gives specifically for tapeworm. They worked like a charm the last time I needed them.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's responses, she had her vet appointment on Tuesday and all is fine. They confirmed for me that she's definitely spayed (I had my doubts because I couldn't see a tattoo) and gave her a simple worming treatment. They recommended Purina One food as far as supermarket brands go so I'm trying that for a while but I don't want to keep changing foods because it seems to upset her tummy even when I do it gradually.

She had another accident today though. She swallowed a LONG piece of string. But that's another topic!