Ruh roh - tornados in the midwest tonight

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was on earlier and a storm hit so fast that I simply turned off the power switch rather than booting down the computer. Massive lightning then hail, which is the precursor to a tornado. I turned on the TV and there was a tornado spotted a few miles south of where I live and moving my way. Thankfully it veered off to the east. There were 3 other big tornadic cells in the area. Another wave of storms is coming up from the south and will probably be here in the next hour. I'm going to go practice the tornado drills with my critters (e.g. herd them all down to the basement).

Anyone living in this area - be careful. It looks like there are storms from Oklahoma City thru Kansas City and then north of here.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh oh, I heard about this too. I'm in northeast KS (not too far from KC), but it hasn't done anything yet. The sky looked a little weird earlier though. We have the news on now and I can hear them talking about tornadoes and the storms that we're supposed to be getting. Hope the tornadoes stay away from us.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in southern MN. It's raining, predicting hail. I won't complain about that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You okay up there, Amy?
Yes, I'm OK. I had to shut down the computer last night because the storms were so bad. We lost internet connection and just got that restored a few minutes ago. I went to bed thinking the storms had passed but the worst of them hit about 3AM. I normally sleep thru anything and a really loud booming thunder actually woke me up. The sound rolled on for over a minute and my bet is that was when we had either straight line winds or a small tornado overhead. It was not a normal thunder sound.

Here's a link to some of the damage around the city. Local TV coverage is showing some really sad pictures. Because this hit overnight with no one to visually see it, they don't know yet whether there were actual tornados or just straight line winds. We have power outages all over the city and a lot of schools closed because it is dangerous to be out driving today.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/16130580/detail.html

We did lose parts of a couple of large trees in our back yard. I'll go take some pictures later today and post them. We've got a bit of chain sawing in our future this weekend.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just moved out of MN and i have to admit i miss the big stroms. they are kind of exciting

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

i just moved out of MN and i have to admit i miss the big stroms. they are kind of exciting
When I was younger and didn't live in the heart of tornado alley, I loved to watch big bad storms. It's been almost 5 years to the day when a tornado hit our last house. I'm a bit more nervous about them these days.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh my gosh, I didn't know you'd had a house hit by a tornado! Were you in it? Was everyone okay?
Yes, we were inside with no basement. Like the storms last night, it hit after dark (which is rare) and had no warning. We barely made it outside to our underground storm cellar (think of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz) and if we had tried to take the critters with us, they would have been blown away. Muddy and Koko's litter was in the house and they were only a few weeks old at the time. I crawled part way because the wind was so strong. Read my story about Lucky Pierre - he's the cat in the tree next to my name at top. His litter showed up right before that tornado hit. His mom had to sense that the storm was coming or she wouldn't have moved them. We didn't even know they were out there.

The house had minor damage. The 2 barns and the detached garage were hit pretty hard. The main tornado wiped out the woods behind our house where Lucky and his family were living up to that time. A smaller tornado passed over the house.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm in southern MN. It's raining, predicting hail. I won't complain about that!
Same here, we got all that last night too. I hate bit storms

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had thunder storms, hail, and tornado warning everywhere! Including a siting! It sucked really bad, because I couldn't get home to my kids and I knew they would be frightened and want there hot cocoa that I make everytime it storms!