Hooray I speak good English!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was at the hairdressers yesterday and I was telling the hairdresser about how I'm studying from an Australian university, which prompted her to ask where I was from (is it just me who thinks that's possibly a silly question). Anyway, so I said Australia, and she says to me:

"Wow, you speak really good English"

I was giggling for the rest of the day.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
haha ive had one like that but when i was in cornwall they said i sounded english....
well eerrrm yuh so did they there in england too they just denie it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha it actually is English and not Glubberspeak.

And at least we HAVE an official language!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Haha it actually is English and not Glubberspeak.

And at least we HAVE an official language!
Awww, come on! Glubberspeak must be a close second then??

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter and I were eating at the Sherlock Holmes Pub in London. We had a waiter from, what we correctly thought, was New Zealand. He was surprised that we could distinguish between an Australian and a Kiwi accent and we said that we had been to both. When he asked the places we went to In NZ and we started naming them. We said "Te awamutta". He asked why ever did we go there (farm stay) and if we were there we could very well distinguish a Kiwi accent.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew where this was going right from the start!

Some people are such morons.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

"Wow, you speak really good English"

I was giggling for the rest of the day.
oh boy, makes you wonder about some people

oh yea, reminds me of a story,
years ago i was dating a canadian chinese lady, we where sitting at the mall here having lunch one day. When some people who know me, came over and joined us. One of the people asked her if she was japanese, she said no, i am canadian chinese, and he said the same thing to her.. wow you speak really good english not much of a accent......

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she thought you said "Austrian"? I have to be honest, I've heard some people from Australia and from England who's accents were so thick I could barely tell it WAS english! I could pick out a word or two here and there, but then throw in their local slang, and I was lost.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Maybe she thought you said "Austrian"? I have to be honest, I've heard some people from Australia and from England who's accents were so thick I could barely tell it WAS english! I could pick out a word or two here and there, but then throw in their local slang, and I was lost.
i get support calls from people in england, and sometimes there accent is so thick, i have no idea what they said.

I had to call my area manager once,(who is from london)
told her i need a english to american Translation. lol
i forgot which accent she said the guy had, but it was really hard for her to understand also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd said Australian to her a few times, talking about my university. I don't have a particularly strong accent. I think she just had no idea

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe sounds like one of my gaming buddies.
He asked one of our English gaming buddies what they did in England for Independance Day.
While we were all chuckling, our English friend, in a quite serious tone replyed "Ah! We all face East and drop our knickers to the West"