TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Sometimes she sits weird. Problem?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sometimes she sits weird. Problem?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I don't know how else to describe it. Sometimes she kind of... half sits. She'll sometimes go into a crouching position as opposed to just sitting down. She's supporting her body weight on all fours instead of just sitting down and folding her legs. Sometimes she'll doze off like this. (Does this description make sense?) Is this normal?
post #2 of 14
Like, hunkering down?
post #3 of 14
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/100_0315.jpg

kinda like that?

this was the 1st day i had chloe, btw! wasnt she adorable?!?!
post #4 of 14
My boys do that too, i always thought it was normal since both my guys do it.
post #5 of 14
If it's just sometimes, and she's still sitting/lying normally, I would guess that it is OK. Cats do some weird things and sleep in some unusual positions.

I did post a thread a month or so ago about Zoey. She had just been very, very ill, and then refused to lie down. She would kind of crunch up on all 4s, and doze off that way sometimes. I later found out that she had a broken tail, which was causing her a lot of pain. "Crunching up" can be a sign of pain. Someone posted about the "meatloaf position" in relation to CRF. Go to this website: http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms.htm#miscellaneous and go down to #8 (Crashing) for more info. It wasn't the exact position that Zoey was sleeping in (she was more standing up on her hind legs and crunching her body over).

Like it says, lots of cats rest this way normally. Unless there are other signs of illness, it's probably nothing to be concerned about!
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Like, hunkering down?
Yeah that sounds like a good way to describe it. It's not the meatloaf position....it's more as if we were bending our legs down and crouching that way, but she's doing it with all four legs at once. So.....you can see all of her her legs clearly (bent) in this position unlike the meatloaf.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney_ou View Post
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/100_0315.jpg

kinda like that?

this was the 1st day i had chloe, btw! wasnt she adorable?!?!
Well, she does this too, actually, but that's not the one that's weirding me out.

Btw that is an ***adorable*** picture!! What a sweetie!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysmom View Post

Like it says, lots of cats rest this way normally. Unless there are other signs of illness, it's probably nothing to be concerned about!
She actually does do the meatloaf position all the time! I guess it's normal for her....or should I be nervous? But that's not the one that's freaking me out either!
post #9 of 14
My cat Buster does this at specific times - mainly before dinner. I think he's just waiting to get a head start to beat Holly Golightly for the wet food. It's like he doesn't want to sit down all the way because then it's too much effort to get back up. He always like to half-sit in order to prepare himself and bolt towards the kitchen.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCurledUp View Post
Well, she does this too, actually, but that's not the one that's weirding me out.

Btw that is an ***adorable*** picture!! What a sweetie!
thanks! shes looking at me like im nuts because i was hanging upside down off the bed taking the pic of her LOL --- i had to flip the pic


and in case youre wondering thats a hair clip in the very front of the pic. it had to be right at the edge of the bed since she was in the corner (it was fullsized) -- it took us forever trying to figure out what it was hahaha.

she was a HUGE kitten -- 5 mos old on that day.
post #11 of 14
Is it almost sitting, but with the bottom not quite touching the ground? How old is your cat? Most cats over the age of 10 have some level of arthritis, and my vet said that the half-squatting sitting position may be a sign of arthritis in older cats. If your cat is older, you may want to talk to your vet about starting an arthritis supplement containing glucosamine.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl View Post
My cat Buster does this at specific times - mainly before dinner. I think he's just waiting to get a head start to beat Holly Golightly for the wet food. It's like he doesn't want to sit down all the way because then it's too much effort to get back up. He always like to half-sit in order to prepare himself and bolt towards the kitchen.
Yeah it looks like it should be a bolting position or something. But she never uses it to prepare for a movement. She just kinda squats there.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties View Post
Is it almost sitting, but with the bottom not quite touching the ground? How old is your cat? Most cats over the age of 10 have some level of arthritis, and my vet said that the half-squatting sitting position may be a sign of arthritis in older cats. If your cat is older, you may want to talk to your vet about starting an arthritis supplement containing glucosamine.
No part of her body is touching the ground. Hmm, maybe a better way to describe it is: picture a cat on all fours like she is going to walk Then picture all four legs bent just a little.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney_ou View Post
thanks! shes looking at me like im nuts because i was hanging upside down off the bed taking the pic of her LOL --- i had to flip the pic


and in case youre wondering thats a hair clip in the very front of the pic. it had to be right at the edge of the bed since she was in the corner (it was fullsized) -- it took us forever trying to figure out what it was hahaha.

she was a HUGE kitten -- 5 mos old on that day.
Lol! Wow! My Lucky is big. He's about 7 months old now (we've had him for a month), and he's 10 pounds already! My full grown cat is 10 or 11 pounds at 6 years!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Sometimes she sits weird. Problem?