Spaying 2 female kittens

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am adopting 2 female kittens next week. They are going straight to the vet before i take them home. I want to get them spayed as soon as possible. My vet won't spay them until their vaccine series is finished, however at that time she will spay them for about the same place as the mobile cat spay mobile/discount spay/neuter places. I hear a lot of people saying that it is better to get a cat spayed at 8 weeks. i am also wondering if it is ok to have them both spayed at the same time, and if they will get the same care at the mobile vet that they do at my vet's office? does anyone have any experience with this?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I like spaying/neutering around 3-4 months. But they can be done at the same time, same place. Just be sure they don't bother each other's stiches.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by mobile vet - a vet who does house calls, or a low-cost clinic type situation? I think I'd opt for having my own vet do the surgeries, even if it's more expensive, just to have all the back-up equipment, expertise, and staff on hand 'just in case'. And, then they've got the cats' complete records and know what sort of treatment, etc., has been given.

You should be able to ask your vet to show you the surgery and recovery areas, and describe the whole procedure, including follow-up visits, to you. Assuming you like and trust your vet, I'd go with her advice regarding timing, etc., after she's examined the babies.

Good luck!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, 2 of my girls were spayed by a mobile vet [in an RV, right?] 1 by a regular vet, & 1 by a low-cost spay/neuter clinic. they all did just fine.
if the price is the same, i'd go for the regular vet, even if it means you have to wait a bit. for Firefox, the regular vet wanted $120... the spay/neuter clinic charges $35. kinda hard to justify spending that much more - especially since i didn't have it at the time. matter of fact, even the $35 was hard to find - & she ended up being in heat, so it was $10 more.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
8 weeks is fine to get the kitties spayed, and I would always get kitties done at the low cost clinic rather than the vets office. All they do is spay and neutering, so they're very experienced at it, charge a lot less, and the kitties definitely get as much care as a vets office.

I volunteer at a shelter which has a low cost clinic, and the vets there are great. In the 2 1/2 years I've volunteered there, I only know of one major complication - and that was a feral kitten that had been brought in, and had a seizure on the table. Not knowing his background or health, it's hard to say what caused it, but they stabilised the kitty, and were going to let the lady that had trapped it decide what she wanted to do.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always used my own Vet and waited until they were 3 or 4 Months. I know people that used the low cost Vet and had bad outcomes. I had my Male done younger but its easier for a Male.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I like spaying/neutering around 3-4 months. But they can be done at the same time, same place. Just be sure they don't bother each other's stiches.
While we're on the subject, how do you go about doing that? I know my kittens are very playful at 12 weeks, I imagine they will still like to wrestle when they are a bit older (I don't plan to get them done until they are 5-6 months). I will likely be home with them because they will get spayed in the summer when I'm off.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to keep them playing appropriately while they are recovering? I would prefer not to cage or separate them, because I know both of those options would stress them out!

Oh...and anyone know if they vet would let them "recover" in the same cage? (I will ask my vet when the time comes, but perhaps someone has had sister kittens before!) They are such good buddies...I know they would be much less stressed if they were together!

Sorry for threadjacking, MamaofBronte!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have to use those cones for their heads. I've never had to do 2 females at one time; but if I did, I'd separate them in 2 rooms so they could not lick each other!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about doing 1 and then the other 2-3 weeks later when the stitches had healed. The vet is $60 if i follow her suggested vaccine protocol, and 210 if i do not! the clinic is $70 for the mobile clinic and $42 for the certificate program. I was thinking about the stitches when i thought about separating them... lol, like how would i keep kittens from playing and messing with them!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mama of Bronte

I was thinking about doing 1 and then the other 2-3 weeks later when the stitches had healed. The vet is $60 if i follow her suggested vaccine protocol, and 210 if i do not! the clinic is $70 for the mobile clinic and $42 for the certificate program. I was thinking about the stitches when i thought about separating them... lol, like how would i keep kittens from playing and messing with them!
so, if you go to the vet, it's $60 per kitten... & the mobile vet is $70... how much for the vax w/reg vet? 'cause i'm getting a total from mobile vet for $112, including vax, but i don't see a vax price for the reg vet - unless the $60 covers vax & spay?

for protecting stitches, what about sock onesies? like a baby's onesie/creeper - made out of a sock.

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the vaccines will run me about $100 per kitten for the 2nd set... less for the 3rd set... that is why they cut you a break with the spay after that... because the low cost vaccine clinic costs about $35 for each set of shots. including distemper, FeLV, and a deworming so it works out to be more expensive overall at the vet... i was kind of concerned at doing it at the low cost mobile clinic... because i will feel awful if something happened and i was doing it to save money

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, that's something you have to decide on your own... i've had no trouble w/the low cost spays i've gotten. i took the cats in that day, picked them up the same day, & by the following day, you'd've thought they had had nothing at all done to them!
i prefer to take them home, rather than overnite them at a vet's, too. most of the vets here simply assume the cats will stay overnite.
but i figure i'm going to pay more attention to their behavior, symptoms, etc. than a tech who has several animals to care for.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hm. I would think about getting them done at the same time, but that would purely be to reduce my hassle! We have three kittens - two boys and a girl. We got the girl done earlier than the boys (she had her first heat....ah!). Our vet allowed us to take her home the same day and we left her in her carrier for 24 hours to make sure she could sleep off the drugs and so she wouldn't be bothered by her brothers. We took her out in a separate room a few times during that 24 hours for her to eat and drink, but she really wasn't that interested - she just wanted to sleep! After we let her out, she made sure the boys left her alone for quite a while, and they seemed to sense she didn't want any hassle! We trusted her to know her own limits - though, over here they do a flank spay, so it was really easy for us to monitor her stitches and they are less likely to lick it because it is not in a location that gets too irritated. It is great you are preparing for the spaying! And I can't wait to see pictures of the girls when you get them home!

I too would probably do it at your regular vet - not because I don't trust mobile spay clinics - far from it! I think they are amazing. But, since this vet is going to be your vet, I just feel some continuity in treatment is probably good.

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, that's something you have to decide on your own... i've had no trouble w/the low cost spays i've gotten. i took the cats in that day, picked them up the same day, & by the following day, you'd've thought they had had nothing at all done to them!
i prefer to take them home, rather than overnite them at a vet's, too. most of the vets here simply assume the cats will stay overnite.
but i figure i'm going to pay more attention to their behavior, symptoms, etc. than a tech who has several animals to care for.
i know the decision is up to me moneywise... to be honest, i have money put away for their vet care/food/etc. i was wondering what people thought of the low cost clinics vs. vet offices... because i admit i feel nervous not going to the vet... the actual spays would be comparable in price or not enough of a difference for me to worry about...

i did not even consider the continuity of care issue! thanks y'all for all the input!

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did my girls at the same time mainly because if I didn't I wouldn't get my aunts vet discount. My girls have a love hate relationship so I didn't have to worry about them licking at each others stitches.
It worked out great. I would have taken mine to the low cost clinic but I got a 15% discount because my aunt is a vet and involved in the Ontario Veterinary Association.
Go with whatever your heart tells you.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter and I got kittens for Christmas, sisters. They were together continuously until Harper went to college with my daughter at 3 months. My vet, a bit older, prefers that the kittens and puppies be 4-6 months old before they are neutered or spayed. Everything is bigger and easier to work with - LOL.

Talley and Harper were spayed the week before my spring break, timed so I could pick them up on a Friday. He keeps them in separate cages so he knows they are eating and eliminating. The first 24 hrs, they are heavily sedated for comfort, so they don't care anyway.
We didn't have any trouble with the stitches - they left them alone for the entire 10 days. The hardest part was keeping them quiet. We have a large dog crate that we used to crate them in when we weren't around or at night. It is large enought to hold their litterbox, two beds, bowls for water and their food. They really weren't too interested in playing the first few days, but did like to cuddle.