Ugh, shedding/hairball season

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
So it's getting warmer so of course the pets are shedding... Ollie is shedding his coat like it's going out of style haha... I gave him a bath today and got lots of hair off him, but he's still shedding... he eats grass regularly, gets hairball treats, eats dry and wet food, drinks plenty of water and I try to brush him as much as I can but he's had several hairballs in the past few days and the one he just had now, of course came up after he ate a bunch of kibble... hairball gel totally doesn't work for him - when I first started giving it to him, he licked it right down - then... it was like pulling teeth from an elephant! I've tried kind of "pilling" him the goo, tried putting it on the nose or paw, no luck... he just shakes it off and makes a HUGE mess... sometimes they come out in his poo, but the last 3 over the last week came out the way they went in... darn my cat for being so preen-obsessed lol... his skin is just fine, not dry and he's not like bald anywhere, it's just his usual spring time shed... I wish I could just shave him simply cuz I feel so bad for him when he throws up hairballs, my poor boy!

Well, back to brushing him for as long as he'll allow...

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brandy is terrible for leaving behind huge clumps of fur, especially on the chairs in the living room..you go to stand up and you have so much if it stuck to your bum

I will have to get his brush out again methinks!

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had chloe in my lap earlier and now it looks like I'M shedding LOL my stomach is covered in hair from where i was petting her. patchy keeps leaving clumps of hair on the beanbag but everytime i come near them with the zoomgroom or the brush i get it slapped out of my hand

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

ibut everytime i come near them with the zoomgroom or the brush i get it slapped out of my hand
Haha, that's funny! I have a shed rake and a glove brush for Ollie... he really likes the glove... but he gets so into it and will give me a nip after a little bit and then brush time is over haha

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the Furminator? A little pricey, but many people have had wonderful results with it. My cats like it enough that I give groom them a bit every day. Mine are short haired, but the first time I used it, I had enough hair for a spare cat. And that was after using the zoom groom frequently.

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohhh I hear ya. All three of mine have been shedding like crazy. Poor Wicked has been the only one having hairball issues so far. Quincy is doing good since I brush him daily and bath him weekly. But he's getting groomed ASAP.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked into the furminator... right now I'm not working, so I really can't buy it... but I do get a whole kitty's worth of hair with the shed rake (it's one of those round funny looking brushes - we have a big one for the dog too)... Ollie was just out on his harness for his daily grass munch (mama is behind on sprouting some inside grass
) and he just had some hair ball treats... I'll give him another good brushing in a little... just out of curiosity, are there any like "home remedies" that he might actually enjoy eating that I could whip up? Like I said before, hairball paste is totally out of the question - there are still faint stains on the wall from him obsessively shaking it off his paw...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some organic creamy peanut butter... Ollie wouldn't out right eat it so I put a little on his nose... idk I'll see if he'll take some more later, but he's quite the picky pants

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, so peanut butter is also a no-go haha... I tried smushing some real good into his paw just to have him shake it off all over the place... then I tried smooshing some right into his mouth - that was a little better, but still he made a mess.... ugh, now he's mad at me even though I tried to explain I'm just trying to avoid him getting another hairball... oh well

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butter. Some people swear by it. Put it in his mouth when it is soft. Maybe he will take it if you sprinkle it with parmasen cheese. Maybe. Sweet potato with butter works, again, if he will take it.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Butter. Some people swear by it. Put it in his mouth when it is soft. Maybe he will take it if you sprinkle it with parmasen cheese. Maybe. Sweet potato with butter works, again, if he will take it.
Haha, all big ifs! He's such a picky pants! Like even a lot of times with beef and chicken (Like I'll make some plain separate for him when I have it to eat) I have to like put a piece on his tongue for him to get that it tastes good and then he eats it up

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That picture of him is too cute. He looks like how you describe his personality.
Try a few things and let us know. I cam curious if we mere mortals can figure this out.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that picture says it all

Well the bit of peanut butter I did get into him, I guess worked the other night because he didn't have a hairball that night... however, he was so angry at me that he promptly went and made himself comfy smack in the middle of my bed amid my pillows... and yes, I slinked myself around him instead of moving him

I shall try some butter and/or mashed sweet potatoes (we actually have some of those pre-made mashed taters in the fridge) sometime soon, just to see if he'd eat either.... I kind of think it's a no, but maybe he'll surprise me