Border Collie

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a Border Collie? We want one so bad, but I have to wait a couple of years. How is your dog with the cats? Some people say they aren't good with small animals because of their herding instincts.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They can be herders.

If they do not get enough exercise & have a job....they will become a nightmare.

I've known of BCs raised with cats from pups to be surrendered for killing the cats, unintentionally (one was intentional, the dog was "different").

You can make it work, but they need to be trained always, every single day. They need to be kept active, & given a specific duty. They are also very smart, so often are known to be "houdinis". But again, if kept busy that shouldn't be an issue.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love border collies!!! I had a border collie growing up (he just died a few months ago at the age of 12 or 13
). They are awesome dogs! I really want one again someday. We did not have a cat but we had a bunny...and yes he did herd the bunny. The bunny never got hurt but the poor guy would get chased around and cornered if we weren't watching. Also, be careful if you have young kids. Our border collie would also herd us and nip at our heals when we were running around and playing, but we were old enough that we were ok with it (I was 9 or 10 when we got him). I imagine you can try to train them not to do it but it is still instinct and it can happen!

Also, they are working dogs and do need/like exercise. So a decent sized yard is needed for them. As for a job, anything will do...obedience, agility, tricks, even retrieving the ball will work, as long as they have something to do
We just taught him a lot of tricks (they are SOO darn smart!) and practiced those with him daily...and he was constantly bringing us toys for him to retrieve...that was his favorite job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they are active, and that's a good thing for us. DH wants a jogging partner, and I would like to do agility (not competitively but as a hobby). Plus we like to go camping, hiking, etc. Ultimately, we want a dog that is as active as we are. I like big dogs. The bigger the better if you ask me! But a medium size is more practical for us because we are always traveling to see family and it'd be easier to take a 40lb dog than a 140lb dog.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a lab that loves cats. BC's are VERY active dogs, smart and get bored easily if not given jobs to do and plenty of exercise. Yes they will try to herd the cats

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Border Collie cross does herd the cats, so it's best to have cats that take care of themselves. Actually the only cat he really herds is Smudge, and sometimes Elsa. Smudge just like to wrestle so he takes it. Nadette is unrufflable, and won't be chased, Tigger and Clyde get their claws out, and he is afraid of THEM.

The very first thing I taught him was "down" so I could get him to immediately stop herding something (kids, cats, cars if he ever got out of the yard.) That was very helpful.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Border Collies, but I wouldn't want to have one. Like WCL said, they need a mission, otherwise they'll think of something themselves to occupy themselves. Hubby and I are big hikers and campers too, also I take the dogs jogging. Hubby has a bad knee so he rides a mountain bike and takes the dogs along.

You might enjoy one of the sporting breeds (Retrievers, Pointers, Spaniels) but NOT the scenthounds (especially Beagles). They all love the outdoors, but the retrievers etc are usually good about staying nearby and fairly easy to teach recall. I would not want to go hiking or camping with a Beagle, since they are likely to take off following a scent. Hubby used to have a 3-legged Beagle years ago and going hiking it was always the same thing, Beagle would take off, and hours later return to where the car was parked.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We recently adopted a puppy (probably close to a year old) that is most likely a border collie/lab mix. The lab part of her keeps her somewhat mellow. The BC part of her compels her to herd the cats and our other dogs. Until our older dogs accepted her, our cats hated her. Now that she gets along with the other dogs, she tends to herd them and leaves the cats alone. I would never get a border collie without another dog companion.

Lola gets absolutely bored and we're still working on finding her the right job when we are at work. Last week she ate a pair of curtains. Today I came home to find she ate a box of kleenex. She has also eaten our remote control, a throw rug, and every toy that we drop in front of her. Nyla bones are my friend right now. When I walked in the door today and saw the mess, I didn't even say a word and she dropped down in submission. They don't want to make you angry, they must be given a proper alternative or they will.

So.....border collies are really smart dogs, but that in itself can be a problem. My setter/golden mix and setter/lab mix are much more mellow.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Golden up until November, and she was too "boring" for DH. German Shepherds have always been my favorite breed but I don't want another one. I also considered a Brittany, but he's pretty set on having a Border Collie. My sister has a BC mix and she's pretty much wild, but DH loves it and coincidentally he's the only one she really listens to. My only concern is that I just don't want the cats to get hurt if it really is that big of an issue. The dog would not be left home along with the cats very often, as we're both self employed and we'd end up taking the dog to work. What kind of "jobs" are good to help avoid boredom and behavioral issues?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I had a Golden up until November, and she was too "boring" for DH. German Shepherds have always been my favorite breed but I don't want another one. I also considered a Brittany, but he's pretty set on having a Border Collie. My sister has a BC mix and she's pretty much wild, but DH loves it and coincidentally he's the only one she really listens to. My only concern is that I just don't want the cats to get hurt if it really is that big of an issue. The dog would not be left home along with the cats very often, as we're both self employed and we'd end up taking the dog to work. What kind of "jobs" are good to help avoid boredom and behavioral issues?
I would love to know the answer to that question...we're gone a lot of the day.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
border collies are fabulous with smaller animals!!
they do herd them but there never violent!
such fun and enegetic animals!
i had one once

i wont go there i will get depressed, but theyre great dogs

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin has one! It's the smartest dog I have ever personally met!
She gets a lot of exercise though, they own a very small airport that my cousin and her husband give sky diving lessons at. So you could imagine the room that dog has to run.

She also has three cats and the border collie, and has never had a problem. Although, she did get the dog when it was a pup.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

She also has three cats and the border collie, and has never had a problem. Although, she did get the dog when it was a pup.
We'd be getting ours as a puppy. I've already found the breeder (the dogs are her full-time job, she does all the genetic testing, etc)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see why not then. They just have a lot of energy and you need to be able to work with them. We went to my cousins wedding, which was at their air strip, and that dog played fetch the ENTIRE time! The kids were getting tired of throwing and were taking turns!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jobs for a border collie? Outside its easy. I get 2 sticks and alternate throwing them in all directions. She'll play fetch for hours if you want her to. They are great at all outdoor things if you have the time to work with them.

Inside is more challenging. My friend had the idea for her to pick up all the toys laying around the house and place them in the big dog toy bin. She can put them in and take them out all day long, and I would keep a relatively cleaner house. I've gotten her to take things out, but have not gotten her to drop them in yet. We're still working on the drop it command.

Your DH thought a golden was boring? That's funny!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a story somewhere about a BC ending up hospitalized because it's owners were playing fetch thinking that he'd stop when he was tired and he just never stopped, dehydrated and overheated!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I read a story somewhere about a BC ending up hospitalized because it's owners were playing fetch thinking that he'd stop when he was tired and he just never stopped, dehydrated and overheated!
I can believe that!! Mine would NEVER stop playing fetch. He play for hours non stop to the point where he would give you the toy, walk away and lay down half asleep waiting for you to throw it. He wouldn't ever stop bringing it back, no matter what, and we def would get tired of throwing it, lol!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Lola would do that. I have to watch her very carefully and decide when she's had enough play.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i have a boarder collie mix, but the hearding instinct still shows through with the cats. She does NOT let the cats near us, she will get up and get in their face and growl. Never more than that, but i have to put her into another room to pet the cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to work with your BC and NEVER allow any growling at the cats or stopping them from getting to you. Your BC needs to understand that the cats are higher in pack status and you can control her actions by your top/leader status.

Keno (our lab) gets jealous if we call the cats or pet them - she's right there in our face too. But she knows the cats are higher status and she's never prevented them from coming to us.