Chicken Soup dry food

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently only feed one brand of dry and I would like to add one for rotation. I would like to hear feedback on Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul food. Here are the ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I chose this one for a few reasons glutens are not used to boost proteins, it says it helps cleans teeth and reduce plaque (That is very important for Kingston) and it has high fat (Kingston needs high fat). It also does not have alfalfa. I hate all fruits and vegetables but it seems to be a trend among all better quality foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

I currently only feed one brand of dry and I would like to add one for rotation. I would like to hear feedback on Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul food. Here are the ingredients

Chicken, chicken mealIdeal yes chicken is mostly water but by being first then a meal meat is definately a main ingredient , cracked pearled barleyTHis is a low grade barley and not terribly nutritious or digestible , chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish mealWHO plus there is the whole Ethoxquin issue of preserving prior to entry , white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet,Nothing wrong but all starch or grains natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duckNOTE three meats not meals and how far down , flaxseed, sodium bisulfateSome have issue with this at all , I have issue with it not being at the bottom of the list , egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I chose this one for a few reasons glutens are not used to boost proteins, it says it helps cleans teeth and reduce plaque (That is very important for Kingston) and it has high fat (Kingston needs high fat). It also does not have alfalfa. I hate all fruits and vegetables but it seems to be a trend among all better quality foods.
It is very grainy and LOW in protein for a premium cat food... Most of the protein in fact seems to be coming from grain sources... Good food for a great price and IMHO better than what you have used before

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed it and my cats love it and all look fantastic. In that price range I don't think there is a better food out there

aircraft

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed it to my cats too. They seem to like it. I live in a small town and it is hard to find a good food. I was really happy when a pet store started carrying it. They also recently started carrying Taste of the Wild. I currently have my cats on a mix of the two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It is very grainy and LOW in protein for a premium cat food... Most of the protein in fact seems to be coming from grain sources... Good food for a great price and IMHO better than what you have used before
Thank you for your info Sharky
I agree it is a little grainy and I did know that. That is why I am still sticking with Eukanuba also. As you know I do not agree that Eukanuba is a bad food. I still am very happy with Eukanuba I just want to feed more than one brand.

I am unaware of the sodium bisulfate so I might need to look into that more. How do you feel about flaxseed? I don't care to see that in cat food because there are studies that cats cannot synthesize the nutrients from flaxseed. Wondering if you are aware of that or have any thoughts? But I don't think it is harmful so I let it slide.

Other foods I am considering are Taste of the Wild and Wellness. I chose Chicken Soup first because of the high fat and the claim of reducing plaque. Taste of the Wild is the same price as Chicken Soup so I want to also try that food. Wellness on the other hand is so expensive if I can get over the price I will try that food also.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO reg dry food is going to clean teeth ... right off hand only RC and Nutro make some that have SOME data they do ... the X shape does little

Zoey eats Taste of the wild and I cant say anything bad ... shell be going back to Orijen since the store I am working at is going to carry ...

Wellness is also a good food the reg line looks alot Chicken soup ..... Core is $$$ and in Zoeys case didnt work with her GI tract , BUT it is Excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bisulfite

http://www.chemtradelogistics.com/MS...te-English.pdf

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione this one I use as a reference ONLY ... but the vet and I agree a little is not an issue , most foods it is third to last ingrediant

OH and Eukanuba is NOT a bad food just one I would nt feed

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to read that Wellness is a good food. Currently I am phasing it in for my cat Phoebe...she was eating the Hill's T/D.....but now, she on the Wellness Indoor dry and the Wellness wet, with a bit of Sheba mixed in to get her interested. She is taking to it quite well and hopefully will not need the 'crutch' for too much longer.

I will look for the other brands mentioned...but I have never seen them here. Perhaps they would order them in???

I find it so interesting that one is NOT allowed to bring ANY pet foot into Canada from the US....if one does...it cannot stay at the border....one must return to the US and leave it there. And yet, your pets eat it and it is good for them. I read on my cat food that it all comes from the US......This all has to do with the Menu foods disaster....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NO reg dry food is going to clean teeth ... right off hand only RC and Nutro make some that have SOME data they do ... the X shape does little

OH and Eukanuba is NOT a bad food just one I would nt feed
Eukanuba has studies that their food helps reduce tartar. I didn't see any studies for Chicken Soup. They just say helps clean teeth and reduce plaque with nothing to back it up.

I have decided I don't care for Chicken Soup after all. Carbs are higher than I like and to much junk in it. I did buy a small bag I will use up though.

Eukanuba has done a slight ingredient change. Not sure what I think. I still feel it is an excellent food but I might change from hairball to regular. Thanks for saying it is not a bad food