Switching Cat Food - Advice?

maxfox426

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have been on Science Diet since they were at the shelter... at the time, I just didn't know any better. They are doing quite well on it, but I think it is time for an improvement.

Right now, I am looking at Eagle Pack and Felidae. Does anyone have any recommendations between the two? I have a puppy that is currently on Canidae (soon to start Eagle Pack), which is how I know about these two products.

Personally, I am leaning towards Eagle Pack, unless someone tells me absolutely not to.

Also... can anyone tell me what size bags Eagle Pack is available in? On their website they don't say any of the sizes, and the bags look kind of small...

Thanks in advance!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest Felidea ... Eagle Pack is a good food but has a number of ??? able ingrediants ( pork meal , some of the herbs )

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of switching to Felidae cause it is good food. However, my cat has had UTI and Sharky does NOT recommend this food for cats that have had UTI or prone to it. If you have no problems now, then Felidae is good stuff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxfox426

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would suggest Felidea ... Eagle Pack is a good food but has a number of ??? able ingrediants ( pork meal , some of the herbs )
I will take that into account. Thanks! I know that Eagle Pack is good stuff for dogs, but I hadn't found a whole lot of info on it for cats. This is why I check these things!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I was thinking of switching to Felidae cause it is good food. However, my cat has had UTI and Sharky does NOT recommend this food for cats that have had UTI or prone to it. If you have no problems now, then Felidae is good stuff
Good to know... neither of my cats have ever had any UTI problems, so I should be good to go! Thanks for the info!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Eagle Pack is a good food but has a number of ??? able ingrediants ( pork meal , some of the herbs )
I might be wrong but having looked at the Eagle Pack website, I didn't see pork meal listed in any of the cat food varieties. Only in some of the dog food varieties.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

I might be wrong but having looked at the Eagle Pack website, I didn't see pork meal listed in any of the cat food varieties. Only in some of the dog food varieties.
It seems that the last reform they did in fact take out the pork and added alot more corn in some ...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cat_lady

don't change! it could make your cat/cats sick.

good vibes
Changing from SD can only be a good thing. There are much better foods out there and if the change is done correctly, there should be no problem.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to cat foods.

Can I ask what is wrong with "Science Diet"?
SD just isn't a very good quality food. It has it's uses when cats need a prescription diet, but I wouldn't feed it as a regular diet.

I noticed you are giving Chynna the fishy Fancy Feast. Fancy Feast is not the highest quality food either so if you are thinking of changing her diet I would recommend better quality. Sharky has listed foods for prices equal to the lower cost foods but of much better quality.

I believe you have health issues and probably cannot get around as easily as some of us so it may be more difficult for you to get out shopping. Some of the better foods (wet) are: Felidae, Natural Balance, Nutro and Merrick's. I feed Merricks but find it pricey here in Canada.

For dry I feed Orijen which is a Canadian product and has no fillers - high protein.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SD is corn and by product filled as well as containing chemical preservatives...

IMHO there are FAR better foods for the $$