Visitor through the cat flap

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I think we have an unwanted visitor coming in through the cat flap. I woke up this morning to the house stinking of cat pee and i have spotted a 'new' cat in our garden now and then. Sooo two questions, 1 how can i get rid of the awful pee smell? 2 how can we stop it coming in without having to resort to locking the flap so my 2 boys arent locked in/out during the night?

Thankyou x

joyzerelly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bgoff1

Hi everyone

I think we have an unwanted visitor coming in through the cat flap. I woke up this morning to the house stinking of cat pee and i have spotted a 'new' cat in our garden now and then. Sooo two questions, 1 how can i get rid of the awful pee smell? 2 how can we stop it coming in without having to resort to locking the flap so my 2 boys arent locked in/out during the night?

Thankyou x
Clean the floor with vinegar, assuming you have hard floors (if its a carpet though, not sure)

You can buy cat flaps which I believe have a magnet triggered locking system, with the cat flap comes collar magnets which will open the cat flap but let no other cats in.
http://www.catflaps.com/en-gb/dept_3.html

And here's a review for it:
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Staywell_Magnet_Catflap__5329610

ooh, and I just found another one which unlocks when it recognises your cat's microchip number, so no collar required (quite expensive though maybe worth it) www.PetPorte.com

Good luck!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or go to the pet store and get an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle to break down the smell and get rid of it completely for your nose and for your resident cats.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband's family had a visitor issue once - though no spraying was involved. Their female (spayed) mother cat befriended a (neutered) male cat and they used to come into the house together through the cat flap. The problem his family had was the male cat was bullying their own male cat (Spike was always a bit of a pushover). He would cower and hide and then run away outside and disappear for quite a long time (and he loved being indoors...). My father-in-law bought one of the cat flaps that requires a magnet to enter, and it pretty much solved the problem - the visiting male stopped coming in on his own and would only occasionally slip in after mother cat. Soon, it became too much of a hassle for him and he just stopped coming all together.

As for the spray you have left by the visiting toms - get enzymatic cleaner for carpets/furniture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies, we did have a magnetic flap before but one of my boys has a problem when he wears a collar of any sort because he is has a thick set neck if he wears a collar his skin festers up so we had to swop back to normal style flap. I will definatly be getting some of the cleaner you all recommend, our rescue cat from the RSPCA will be coming home as soon as we have had our home visit and i dont want her feeling threatened and scared by the intruder!

joyzerelly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bgoff1

Thanks for your replies, we did have a magnetic flap before but one of my boys has a problem when he wears a collar of any sort because he is has a thick set neck if he wears a collar his skin festers up so we had to swop back to normal style flap. I will definatly be getting some of the cleaner you all recommend, our rescue cat from the RSPCA will be coming home as soon as we have had our home visit and i dont want her feeling threatened and scared by the intruder!
Oh, I see, well did you see the link I left for the cat flap which recognises your cat's microchip number? No need for a collar there!

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just noticed you were in the UK. One thing our vet recommends to get out cat urine/spray is to use biological washing powder mixed in with a bit of water. Put it on the area, soak it up with a tea towel and then let it dry (you might want to cover it up so the cats don't get into it!). You might have some around so you can use that in a pinch if you don't have time to run out for the enzymatic!