Some people just don't understand

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to this lady I know about Popsie and what all has been going on with him lately. She's all like, " That's why I don't want pets because I don't want to deal with the pain of losing them eventually." I told her that all the joy Popsie has brought me is worth a little heartache when he's gone. Sure my heart will feel like it's been ripped out but then I will heal and have my happy memories of him to carry on. "It's better to have loved and lost to have never loved at all"

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely believe that too. What I hate are the people that look me in the eye and tell me "well they're just an animal"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kiki_585

I definitely believe that too. What I hate are the people that look me in the eye and tell me "well they're just an animal"
OH I know. That really ticks me right off.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I am so thankful for TCS. I do not get to see you all face to face but at least I know there are others that see cats as more than just "animals or pets". I was beginning to think that I was the only one that thought of my cats as part of the family.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that why my mother finally would not get pets anymore.
After are last family cat died. She never wanted to do that again.

some people get it some dont. However i have to admit, there is one guy here who talks and talks and talk and talks about his dogs.
i very seldom really tell people what my cats do. Minus posting here on TCS..

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kiki_585

When someone tells you pets are just animals, the perfect response is: "So are we." It's an obvious truth that very few people can fail to recognize, even if it's never dawned on them before. If you're talking to someone with an open mind, it can lead to a fascinating dicussion!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have no idea how badly it hurt to watch Damita during her last few days, weeks, months. Knowing it was coming, knowing she was so young. I cried myself to sleep so many nights.

I wouldn't trade that for the world. The joy she brought me those few years I was blessed to have known her.

And Twitch....when she dies my life will end. That cat has gotten me through so many things....when all my friends became "too good" to talk to me in high school (something that was so devastating at the time), she stood by me. Or rather, on my.

I just don't think people realize just how much these "animals" give back. And they ask so little in return.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

You have no idea how badly it hurt to watch Damita during her last few days, weeks, months. Knowing it was coming, knowing she was so young. I cried myself to sleep so many nights.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
they are just animals... that said, we still love them, grieve when they're not well, or leave us, especially when it's untimely, or painful. knowing that my cats' lives are not equivalent to those of my other loved ones [family, etc.] does not make them less loved or missed. that's the part that non-animal owners seem incapable of understanding.
some do - when Mouse died, my mother completely understood. she wasn't sad, but she even said, when i voiced my concern about having difficulty sleeping, 'well, you're grieving.' of course, she is a professional counselor...
i think that people who try to negate our grief when we lose one of our beloved animals are one of 2 things: either in denial that they will ever have this happen to them - or they've never lost anyone or anything that they truly loved. the former i can somewhat understand - the latter... well, someday that awful loss will happen to them, & they'll understand.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally think it is sad that people don't want to share their lives with pets cos of the pain at the end of it - it is incredibly hard, but I couldnt imagine how empty my life would be without them. My mum lost her dog just over a month ago, and has said how she isn't going to go through that pain ever again, but she has said that before, and they end up with animals, they dont go looking, so hopefully that will happen again. People can't understand how I can keep taking on oldies knowing that I dont have long with them, and I have to admit, times like this where I have a cat with an incurable illness is the downside, but then I look at Molly, who I took on over 2 years ago to give her a good few weeks/months (as that is all we thought she had left!!), and still happy, healthy and playing, so there are positives too - although loosing her is going to be incredibly hard, she has been warned she has to stay for a few more years yet.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

This is why I am so thankful for TCS. I do not get to see you all face to face but at least I know there are others that see cats as more than just "animals or pets". I was beginning to think that I was the only one that thought of my cats as part of the family.
I have nothing to add -- you guys have said it all!