Callie's having kittens, HELP!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a while ago I heard something that sounded like kitten squeaks, so I ran to my room, and Callie's started having her babies under my bed!! She's only had one, and I got them out from under my bed and put them both in the big kennel we put out with old towels and blankets in it, but she doesn't seem to be doing anything besides looking at the kitten.. she isn't having another one yet, but is it bad that she's just looking at the kitty?? We've never had a cat have kittens before, and no one else is here yet, what do I do??? HELP, please!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitten ok? is she cleaning it? The mom will usually take all the birth gunk off the baby.... that's starts the bond forming. See if you can get the baby to latch onto a teat/nipple. Hopefully, someone who is more expert in mom cat behavior will be along very soon.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got this off one of the birthing "stickies":

Most queens will attempt to eat each afterbirth and I allow my girl to have as many as she wants. If she refuses to eat a placenta, I dispose of it by wrapping it in toilet tissue and flushing it away. In the wild, an animal will eat the afterbirth to remove all traces of the birth as protection from enemies. It is also a source of nourishment, a possible laxative, a source of hormones to make the uterus contract and to aid in milk flow. The queen may deliver her kittens at 15-minute intervals or even wait four hours before producing another. As long as she seems seems comfortable - don't panic. An extended period of hard, unproductive labor is worth panicking about.

It is best to keep all of the kittens separate from the mother until delivery is completed unless it takes several hours. In most cases, the mother will not be too interested or have time to wash and cuddle kittens while in labor with another. She may even inadvertently roll on it. It is important at this stage to keep the newborns warm and dry. If she goes a long time between deliveries, put one kitten in for a while for her to wash and nurse if she is willing. You can always alternate kittens as the litter grows in size. It is easier to sneak one kitten away from her when she is in labor for the next than it is to remove two or three kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting some info for me!
She's had four so far, but we don't know if she's done yet. Right now she's laying down with them and she's cleaned them off a lot, and they've been crawling on her and it looks like one or two were trying to get to her nipple. Every now and then she moves around in a weird way like maybe she's not done? We're still watching her for now and everything seems to be going okay.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad!
I was here alone when she started and I was starting to worry a little, the fourth one came out in a sac-like thing, and she was ignoring it, so I tore it open a little, kind of scared because it looked like it stopped moving, and she finally started taking care of it herself. She's still laying down and they're all making little meowing sounds.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by h~chan

I'm glad!
I was here alone when she started and I was starting to worry a little, the fourth one came out in a sac-like thing, and she was ignoring it, so I tore it open a little, kind of scared because it looked like it stopped moving, and she finally started taking care of it herself. She's still laying down and they're all making little meowing sounds.
If they are crying they might be hungry. Are you sure her milk has come in? Go here to see how to check

http://littleleopardcats.com/bengalb...rbirthing.html

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

If they are crying they might be hungry. Are you sure her milk has come in? Go here to see how to check

http://littleleopardcats.com/bengalb...rbirthing.html
Thanks for the links.

The kitties have been sucking for a while, not making any meowing noises, and when I tried to get in there and see if there was milk, Callie kept rolling over and dragging the kitties over with her. Do you have any good ideas on how to do this easier? Or is the fact that they've all been sucking for a while a sign that maybe there's milk?

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried taking a few pictures, kind of hard to see the kittens, but I'll get better ones another time.

(I got sick of fighting with Geocities, so I changed the links.
)

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if they are not crying and they are latched on, she most likely has milk and everything is fine. Beautiful kittens!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I just tried taking a few pictures, kind of hard to see the kittens, but I'll get better ones another time.

awwwwwwwwwwww
congrats on the bbys i know how excited you were

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys!

I'm so excited that they're finally here, I keep sitting down and watching them.. every now and then I'll hear a little squeak.. they're so adorable!

We still aren't sure if she's done though.. she's been laying down and they've been sucking for a while, but she still looks big, and she was huge before she had them. We've been keeping an eye out to see if she has any more.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i can't see them
it says you've exceeded your 'data transfer limit'?

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i can't see them
it says you've exceeded your 'data transfer limit'?
It's doing that for me, too. Don't worry, they'll show up again shortly, if they don't show up in the next 20 minutes or so, I'll edit and link them through somewhere else.
Stupid Geocities.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GayleMG

Congrats!!!
I couldn't see how many there were.

Thanks! She had four.

I made a kitten picture thread here if you want to see them some more.