Scratching

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I've noticed Beauty's been scratching her neck a lot. I've put flea powder on, and I've as yet got to see where she is and find if that's helped, because I'm not sure.

She's been scratching her mouth a bit as well, so could it be fleas, something else or a mixture of both?

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she wear a collar? It could be irritating her. Ozzy scratched his neck loads when he had his collar. Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clumsy kitty

Does she wear a collar? It could be irritating her. Ozzy scratched his neck loads when he had his collar. Just a thought.
She DID have a collar but she got it off somehow and we never found it so we never bothered to get her another one.

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

She's an outside cat so possibly?. There might he something wrong with her teeth if she's pawing her mouth. When was the last time she went for a full checkup?
She went last month. It's right on the corner of her mouth she scratches, so I don't know. I'll keep an eye on her tonight and if it's still going on tomorrow then I'll phone the vet. They're shut now so I can't phone them now.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way you could get Advantage or Revolution from a vet for Beauty instead of using the flea powder? I think it would be better for Beauty and safer too because she can ingest the powder whereas the other flea treatment gets put high on the back of their neck where they can't reach.

Our cats get flea treatment from about April/May until October/November depending on weather.

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be getting her an appointment with the vets tomorrow because she's scratching her ears a lot as well and it seems to hurt her having them touched.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

I'll be getting her an appointment with the vets tomorrow because she's scratching her ears a lot as well and it seems to hurt her having them touched.
Glad to hear of the vet visit. Sounds like she may also have ear mites. Revolution will treat any fleas as well as mites and I believe roundworm so perhaps speak to your vet about using Revolution on Beauty. (And, please, wash that powder off her just for me.)

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The powder's off her now!

I used the powder because it was a choice of that or scaring her witless with the spray (which I did NOT want to do!!!)

Got her an appointment for Tuesday - the earliest they could get her in because they're so busy.