Do You Have Suggestions? (Morning Tea & Coffee)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anybody has some ideas for what to serve at a morning tea and coffee get-together. A few close mom-friends are coming over to my house instead of meeting at the local coffee place; it will be at 9:00 a.m. after we drop the kids off at school.

Two guests drink tea, one drinks coffee, and I'll drink either so it would be helpful if the food goes with both. I have a bakery nearby for the standard goods, but I would like to make something special, maybe a sweet-type bread, hopefully somewhat healthy, too. I don't want to make everyone blow their diets too much.

Recipes and menu suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some suggestions:

Scones with jam
Toast with honey
Danish
Croissants
Coffee cake
Cinnamon Buns
Pecan Buns (Yummy!!!)
Muffins
Corn bread

If you want something hot:

Quish
Omlettes
French Toast
Waffles
Pancakes

Cold beverages:

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Cranberry Juice
Milk

I just made some bannock! Very easy to make:

4 cups of flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Plus vegetable for frying

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Add enough room temperature water to the dry ingredients so that you end up with a sticky dough. It shouldn't stick to the bowl anymore, but it shouldn't be tough and dry like a bread dough.

Once it's at that sticky stage, knead it for about 5 minutes to work out any flour lumps.

Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into pieces.

Fry gently until one side is golden. Flip and fry the other side. Remove to a plate with paper towels.

You can slice in 1/2 and use as a bread for sandwiches, or serve the pieces with jam, or just have it plain. It's so yummy.

You can also put it on a baking sheet and bake it if you like.

Here is a video on how to make it, for the oven method.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Chai tea is always good! It's also just a little different, so it might be a nice treat.
The two tea-drinking friends drink chai tea lattes when we go out! What foods go with chai tea?

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Some suggestions:

Scones with jam
Toast with honey
Danish
Croissants
Coffee cake
Cinnamon Buns
Pecan Buns (Yummy!!!)
Muffins

If you want something hot:

Quish
Omlettes
French Toast
Waffles
Pancakes

Cold beverages:

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Cranberry Juice
Milk
Thank you very much!

Do you have to serve bannock right away?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Do you have to serve bannock right away?
Nope. Just let it cool before you stick it in a bag. It's basically a heavy bread.

Oh...forgot to mention about the bannock. Once it's at that sticky stage, knead it for about 5 minutes to make sure the flour lumps are all blended in.

You can also bake it if you want instead of frying it. I edited my post above to include a You Tube video showing the process.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chai is spicy (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardomon) so anything that would go with those kinds of spices. I think something with apple or peaches would be great....maybe Belgian waffels? Coffee cake, danish, pecan rolls or cinnamon rolls might be good too. I just like to drink my Chai latte by itself, as it's rather filling in it's own right.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to serve something healthy in addition to some pastries, try a fruit plate with some strawberries and cantaloupe or honeydew.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howbout some frilly toothpicks with blackberries, bananas, strawberries, and mandarin oranges skewered on? A plate of those looks so pretty on the table! And my very favorite thing in the world with hot tea is a pretty little individual brioche filled with apricot jam.

Brioche is time-consuming, though... I've never actually made it myself. I used to get it every Easter at Sweetish Hill bakery in Austin. Do you remember Sweetish Hill? Oh... oh, how I miss Austin...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make a good sour cream office cake with a struesel topping.

I also have a great reciped for creme brulee french toast but its 1,000,000 calories!!

Or how about a breakfast casserole that you put together the night before and bake that morning?? I have a good recipe!!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plain Carrot cake or Banana Bread served sliced with a little butter...

Some type of turnover, apple, lemon or cherry are my favorite...very easy to make and can be served warm or cold..

Cinnamon Rolls or Danish are another standard...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I make a good sour cream office cake with a struesel topping.

I also have a great reciped for creme brulee french toast but its 1,000,000 calories!!

Or how about a breakfast casserole that you put together the night before and bake that morning?? I have a good recipe!!
Oh heavens Gail, now you have my taste buds hopping up and down. Please do share the coffee cake recipe and especially the creme brulee toast - I'm particularly fond of a good creamy creme brulee.

I like the idea of the breakfast casserole as well.

I would think an omelette or quiche would be more for a brunch/lunch than a breakfast.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, everyone! I'll let you know the menu when I've figured it out. You guys have given me a lot of think about.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

...I used to get it every Easter at Sweetish Hill bakery in Austin. Do you remember Sweetish Hill? Oh... oh, how I miss Austin...
I do! And Texas French Bread. And Fonda San Miguel, El Mercado, Trudy's, Chuy's... oh man I miss the food there.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just in case I can still tempt you.....

Australian/English style scones! Much lighter than American style scones.

This is my favourite recipe - it's kind of funny how precise the recipe is, but it ensure perfect scones! http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/10710/basic+scones

There's herb scones and cheddar scone variations at the bottom of the link as well.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds so good!

One friend asked this morning if she should bring wine, lol! We've always wanted to get together in the evening but it's never worked out (kids and all). So I'm thinking of mimosas.
9:00 a.m. is kind of early, though, it would be bad if we all forget to pick up the kids from school.