Cats..and dog?

leskeit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone-

We have decided to add to our already crowded home of two adults, and two grey haired tabbies, another friend--a pembroke welsh corgi puppy. Justfiably so, we are very concerned about how our cats are going to react to their new friend--anyone have any tips how we can integrate the new pup without disturbing our two feline pals in the process?

thanks so much!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First rule....make a cat safe place! Puppy WILL terrorize the cats to no end.

I suggest a feliway diffuser (or several) for the cats to help calm them, also.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good advice. Read in the archives on the best way to do this, there is also a section in the Catsite for other pets where this question gets asked

Baby gates, cat safe - puppy free- places are a must

Can I hear more about the personality of your two kitties?

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

That is good advice. Read in the archives on the best way to do this, there is also a section in the Catsite for other pets where this question gets asked

Baby gates, cat safe - puppy free- places are a must

Can I hear more about the personality of your two kitties?
Don't forget that it might also go the other way around - I've seen many cats that terrorize the dog! So if that turns out to be the case, make sure you have a safe place for the puppy as well.

danits_24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,
First of all, you can relax... cats and dogs can get along, sometimes they even become really good friends. I own three cats and a dog, and sometimes I find him and one of my cats cuddling and licking each other.
Just recently I wrote about it in my blog, because a lot of people asked me if my cats and my dog get along, and I realised although many people own the two of them at the same house, still, the stigma is that it's not possible...
Hope my post will help you...

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure a herding dog would be the best breed to have with cats. I'm sure it can work out though if you train your new puppy. Herding breeds really need a job.