What do you do with your litter droppings

pablo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a dumb question i know, and i know ive been asking a lot of them lately but im a new cat owner

What do you guys do with the litter droppings or uh poo, from the litter box...

I have been putting htem in trash bags but since i only bring trash out once a week and i dont have an unlimited supply of trash bags i use one trash bag each time i clean the litter box which obviously isnt very economical. If i use the same trash bag then i have to reopen the same bag that i put the poo in before so its usually a stinky mess that i dont want to have to reopen...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We put ours in a plastic grocery bag (blue bags), tie it up and take it outside. Then at the end of the week, on trash day, they all go in one bag or in the plastic outside cans.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I also reuse plastic bags to scoop into (grocery store bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, etc)... when I had a studio apartment in college, I had a designated small "kitty poo trash can" I'd scoop into the plastic bags then put the bags into the "special" trash can... then I'd take that trash can up to the dumpster whenever I'd empty the rest of my trash... now that I've moved back with my parents, I still scoop into the plastic bags and then they get put on the back step and the next person out to the garage grabs it and puts it in the cans out there

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vegetable bags from the grocery store! I am a vegetarian, so I accumulate a lot of these. Actually, pretty much any bag will do.

As for where they go...well, our trash gets collected once a week and when we first got the kittens, I just chucked it in the trash. But, it was filling up our trash can too quickly (and the husband was convinced it smelled...we live in a very small cottage with open plan kitchen/living area). We have a small back yard, so I just got a bucket, lined it with a trash bag and when I am done cleaning them out, I chuck the bag in there. It has worked out very well so far.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I have a Litter Locker, which I love!!! But before I got it I used grocery store bags too.

I also used to use plastic grocery bags until I got a litter locker. The litter locker rocks!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to try the littler locker until I spotted bags like these. I like the idea of the litter locker but it looked so cumbersome and compared to the cost of the bags I found the replacement bag roll for the littler locker seemed a bit pricey. So, I bag everyday and tie them up and stick them in my regular trash can which gets emptied about once a week. The bags are good enough to block any smell and don't take up a big floor footprint like the locker.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I line a small trash can(like a little bathroom trash can) with a lid, with a plastic grocery bag. I keep that next to the litter pans and scoop into it twice a day. yes, you might want to hold your breath when you open the plastic bag to put more in, but not too bad. I use chicken feed for litter. I will use it until it is halfway full, 3 cats, around two days, and when it is there, I tie it up and put it in the outdoor trash can.

The inside can has a lid, and the outdoor can has a lid. As long as the lids are on, there is no odor.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I was going to try the littler locker until I spotted bags like these. I like the idea of the litter locker but it looked so cumbersome and compared to the cost of the bags I found the replacement bag roll for the littler locker seemed a bit pricey. So, I bag everyday and tie them up and stick them in my regular trash can which gets emptied about once a week. The bags are good enough to block any smell and don't take up a big floor footprint like the locker.
You left out the most important part. They're biodegradable! Cool! I feel stupid putting my completely biodegradable litter box refuse in a completely non-biodegradable plastic bag. Thanks for posting that!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop into a grocery bag each time and put it outside in the big garbage. I wouldn't keep that nasty stuff inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pablo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks everyone! guess im going to start keeping my wal mart shopping bags

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those of you who put the trash just out the door, does it attract strays? We have a few in the area. I am afraid that they will spray near the can if we start putting it outside.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

You left out the most important part. They're biodegradable! Cool! I feel stupid putting my completely biodegradable litter box refuse in a completely non-biodegradable plastic bag. Thanks for posting that!
Ok, I just spent the last half hour trying to find info in this online. Arent "blue bags" from the grocery store bio-degradable?

From our City of Erie Recycling Guide
1. USE BLUE RECYCLING PLASTIC BAGS (BLUE bags only!)
Available at most retail stores in the area.
DO NOT use non-biodegradable bags.
In our city we use them to throw plastic bottles away or glass. The city does separate collections for them.

I was under the impression that was why stores started offering blue bags as opposed to white.

I just looked on the Blue Bag and also on a White bag.

the white bag says:
"Please return to a participating store for recycling."
and
"Please reuse or recycle this bag"
and has the HDPE (polyethylene thermoplastic made from petroleum) logo on it.

The blue bag has the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle logo on it and is covered under a patent.

hmmmm...

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Those of you who put the trash just out the door, does it attract strays? We have a few in the area. I am afraid that they will spray near the can if we start putting it outside.
I never had a problem with strays when putting the waste out by the door.Actually there are not too many strays in my area.But nope,NEVER had that problem.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

My poo baggies only sit on the back step for a short while before someone heads out to the garage, they never sit out there overnight (If I do have to scoop at night and don't want to go outside, the bag will sit on the floor just inside the door - if it's a particularly stinky poo, I shoot some Oust into the bag haha, it's next to the litter box anyway)... then our trash cans are in the garage so strays couldn't get in there

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have never had a problem with strays/ferals being attracted to our litter bags and we have a load around here (we live in a row of cottages just set off the road that gets no foot traffic as it is gated - all the cats of the neighborhood congregate here!). I keep ours in our back garden, and hear the strays/ferals on our roof but they don't appear interested in the waste bags. It is quite highly walled, so maybe that plays into it (though, one of them did leave us a rather mutilated pigeon back there, so obviously they can get into our garden...).

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use sandwich bags too. I clean the litterbox daily and discard the bags into a lined small lidded trash can next to the litterbox. Very convenient. Once a week, I just empty the trash can.