A gardening question........Whats your best method for aphids?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently faced with a serious aphid infestation at the nursery I just started working for. It is only there second year and things weren't cared for properly prior, some problems grew out of hand. If any one has any recommendations and/or personal experiences with insect/aphid removal, please tell!
We need two types of applications. There are perennials that need to be treated and these need a more quick, final result. We also have vegetables and herbs that need to be treated, an organic spray ofcourse and I am looking for best recipe results. I know that the organic method is a prolonged treatment.
Please help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Set up a ladybug box! Aphids are naturally food for ladybugs... I've seen labybug kits for sale online - it's like a little box where they nest and most come with the lady bugs - I always wanted to set one up
We actually have a lot of lady bugs, now I know why! I see atleast 10-20 a day! The more I research, the more I find it to be a difficult challenge. There is no real way to rid of them safely and permanently.................besides regular spraying.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

We actually have a lot of lady bugs, now I know why! I see atleast 10-20 a day! The more I research, the more I find it to be a difficult challenge. There is no real way to rid of them safely and permanently.................besides regular spraying.
In that regard, you are correct. I do not like using it because of the hummingbirds and I use it only if my plant is in an absolute state of dying. I also try to hang around for a while and spray it off a little to make sure it dries off.

That stuff I suggested works within a day.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I had an aphid festation on my honeysucke vines. I use Ortho orthonex insect and disease control and my vine is now recovering. It works wonders and it works fast.
I looked up the Ortho Orthonex, it looks like a good product for the perrenials. My concern is that some of the infestation is really bad and spray may not get to the colony base. More I read, they say to cut of colony base, and you can't really do that with lilies and irises.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a mild dish soap and make a bunch of sudsy water, add a drop or two of mineral oil and mist the plants with it.

Works pretty well, I'm told it suffocates the aphids.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I use a mild dish soap and make a bunch of sudsy water, add a drop or two of mineral oil and mist the plants with it.

Works pretty well, I'm told it suffocates the aphids.
This is what I was thinking as I primary treatment, but I don't think it will actually eradicate them, and this is a nursery.............I am thinking it may be best to dispose of the infested perennials, protect the new inventory.
I also noticed an ant problem in the indoor, hydroponic area (which is right by the kitchen) and learned that some ant species have a symbiotic relationship with aphids. They actually tend to the colonies and drink nectar from them...............They don't realize how bad the problem is!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a commercial nursery??? They should be able to obtain insectides that the homeowner don't have access to.

But back to what you can do. Sticky cards and paste yellow to attract aphids. For control purposes 2 cards (the size of index cards) in a container 6" in size placed so they are even with the canopy of the plants. Of course this will mean many cards. The sticky paste (you can buy at most garden centers) could be spread on the stems (NOT LEAVES) of the plants directly and the pests will be stuck in their tracks. This is messy though but effectie (wear gloves).

There are also many benefical insects (check out gardens alive website).

A good organic insecticide but hard to find is Beauvaria bassiana which has been sold as Naturalis H &G in the past.
Neem works in many ways (its a bit smelly though) and its also has fungicide properties.
Insectical soaps work to but may damage some plants.

Stop at a bookstore and look at some organic gardening books too.