Another stolen purse

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know when I got up this morning all I could think about was how much I didn't want to go to work. Well now I have another reason not to want to be here. Someone walked in off the street & stole the little purse one of my coworkers brings with her. The thing that bothers me is that I sitting at my desk. It is very scarry to me that someone would take a purse from the cubicle right next to mine while I was sitting here. I know that there have been some armed robberies in this area but those have all been at night. This was like 9 - 9:30 AM.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

You know when I got up this morning all I could think about was how much I didn't want to go to work. Well now I have another reason not to want to be here. Someone walked in off the street & stole the little purse one of my coworkers brings with her. The thing that bothers me is that I sitting at my desk. It is very scarry to me that someone would take a purse from the cubicle right next to mine while I was sitting here. I know that there have been some armed robberies in this area but those have all been at night. This was like 9 - 9:30 AM.
It doesn't sound like it was someone off the street. It sounds more like a fellow employee! Is this a secured office or is it easily accessible?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

That's pretty brazen. Do you all have security cameras?
Nope no security cameras.

Originally Posted by Sweets

It doesn't sound like it was someone off the street. It sounds more like a fellow employee! Is this a secured office or is it easily accessible?
The front door is locked, but it does not always close completely and there was a problem wih it this morning. So today it was preety easily acceessible.

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Holy! I can't even believe that...they walk right in and take things?!

Stay safe over there!
This has happend before. One time they came in & took the car keys out of someones jacket (actually the same woman that had her purse stolen this morning) and stole her car. Then they stole the purse out of another womans desk in our other office. All of this is why the front door is supposed to be locked all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so I feel really bad about what happend and I have been second guessing myself that what if I had said something to him. The thing is I can tell the woman who's purse was stolen is mad at me & the other guy who saw the guy who stole her purse. Yes I feel bad, but it is out of my control that he did this. I feel bad, and in the 1 hr before she noticed he had charged a bunch of gas and like $800 at Best Buy. It sucks that it happend, but at the same time it is a little frustrating that she is mad at me.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she shouslnt be mad at you. your purse is your responsibility. you dont want it stolen? hide it. especially if you already had your car stolen!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

It doesn't sound like it was someone off the street. It sounds more like a fellow employee!
I agree. As much as we would like to trust our co-workers, not everyone is honest.

We've had our share of thefts at the hospital. Staff stealing from patients or co-workers, or being the "insider" and helping their friends gain access.

Some years ago one of my friends my friend told me that she caught a girl in her office going through her purse. There was no where to lock up purses and coats, so they were kept inside the cubital where you worked. My friend kept her purse under her desk. One day she got up to go to the coffee room (not far from her desk), so she left her purse. She came back to find someone kneeling on the floor by her desk going through her purse.

The girl claimed that the phone rang so she went over to answer it and knocked something off the desk and was just picking it up.

My friend checked her purse and the zipper was only 1/2 closed and the buckle snap was undone. Both were closed when she put the purse under her desk.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is ridiculous that she is mad at you. At least they have security cameras in Best Buy, so they should be able to see who it was. I wonder if she is not the target, since it has been her loss more than once. Is it possible she could have someone with a grudge, or a stalker?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what keeps bugging me about this is that unless her purse was in plain sight from the door, or she knows the thief in some way, there is no way it would have been that easy for him to steal it. Honestly.

1. If it was in plain sight, i.e. on her desk, then she's just asking for it to be stolen. As soon as you get to work, you shove that thing into a drawer... and don't let anyone see where you stash it. UNless you trust your coworkers implicitly, then they can know... but I wouldn't.

2. If it was in a drawer, he had to have been watching her from the moment she walked in the door.. if there are windows, he could be watching her... and if he's possibly the same one who's stolen other things of hers, I'd wonder if he's also a stalker-type... preying on her and her alone.

2a. if he can't watch her as she's putting her things down in the morning, then my guess is it's a partially inside job... someone in the office is telling this thief where her stuff is.

3. maybe she knows the guy, from her past or something... or he knows her in some fashion. this would fall under either the stalker scenario or the inside job one...

if she's the ONLY one being victimized, there's more going on here then just a string of thefts... a lot more. the boss/supervisor needs to be made aware of what's going on... and she needs to be MUCH more cautious about what she brings in to work/leaves out/etc... the boss needs to be made aware of the issue so they can take better security precautions like fixing the door...

At our store, we have a place for people to put their purses within the customer service area (we also have lockers)... there's always someone, usually at least one manager and a couple of cutters, in that area... we're had some dude casing the main door registers the last few weeks... so they finally rearranged them so our backs (I'm a cashier) aren't exposed to anyone who can walk up. there's a narrow aisle for those openings now... it's much more obvious if a customer tries something... we aren't allowed to keep personal items at our registers (I sometimes carry my credit cards with me to make a purchase on break, if my purse is locked up).

Seriously, she needs to be much more cautious and aware of her surroundings... and the manager needs to take some action as well.

Just my two cents...

Amanda