Why trying to bake low fat doesn't work...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A woman I work with has put herself on a very restrictive low fat diet for her wedding. She enlisted my help a few days ago when she asked me to find a bread recipe that fit her criteria. So, I figured what the heck, I'll search one out and if it works I'll put it in the rotation around here.

I found one that I thought would work, and tried it last night. The list of ingredients are as follows: 3 cups whole wheat flour, one cup white flour, one packet of dry yeast, a pinch of salt. Simple right?

When I took it out of the oven I knew I had a problem. It felt really heavy. After I let it cool I went to try to cut it. It was like attempting to saw though a brick. I'm half tempted to give it to a mason to see if it could be the key stone to a home that's being built.

Needless to say that is the LAST time I attempt to go low fat.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, there MUST be a way to make low fat bread

I know you can make muffins low fat and they still taste good....Although I am by no means a baker so perhaps I should just shut up

Did you taste the bread??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Hmmm, there MUST be a way to make low fat bread

I know you can make muffins low fat and they still taste good....Although I am by no means a baker so perhaps I should just shut up

Did you taste the bread??
I did, and it tastes like wheat flavored play dough. I can't imagine giving this to someone. I may just dry it out (more) and turn it into compost.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I did, and it tastes like wheat flavored play dough. I can't imagine giving this to someone. I may just dry it out (more) and turn it into compost.
That doesnt sound very tastey.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use only one tablespoon of oil or butter in my bread; that's pretty low-fat considering it is for the entire loaf. French bread uses no oils, just one egg white which is also low fat.

If she wants to lose weight, she should lay off the carbs. Everyone needs a couple of tablespoons a day of healthy oil anyway.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

If she wants to lose weight, she should lay off the carbs. Everyone needs a couple of tablespoons a day of healthy oil anyway.
I agree. Low fat, low carb, high protein, smaller frequent meals is the way to go to provide the body with energy and to help burn fat.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

From the way you describe it, that should have worked! Do you think maybe the yeast was dead?
I proofed it for five minutes and saw bubbles.

I think my flaw may have been in not letting it rise enough. I'm half tempted to try again, but considering the results this time I'm not too enthusiastic about it. Perhaps when I find some time next weekend I'll take another stab at it.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats so happened to me before!! Or Ill forget how many times Ive punched it down and do it again and end up with a flat bread! LOL

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
that much whole wheat/white flour would make an extremely dense loaf... maybe tinker w/the ratios? i know frech bread [which my sister makes] uses white flour only...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try googling vegan recipes. A lot of low-fat stuff is found this way.

Have you ever heard of Applesauce Bread?

Or vegan pancakes (mmmm - my favorite)

...and I am not a vegan.

OR since we are on the subject - one of my favorite things to make:

Have any of you ever heard of a Diet Soda Cake?

Where you simply mix in a can of diet soda (any flavor but I prefer 7-Up) to a box of cake mix. Oh yeah. I believe my aunt found this recipe from Weight Watchers.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

A woman I work with has put herself on a very restrictive low fat diet for her wedding. She enlisted my help a few days ago when she asked me to find a bread recipe that fit her criteria. So, I figured what the heck, I'll search one out and if it works I'll put it in the rotation around here.

I found one that I thought would work, and tried it last night. The list of ingredients are as follows: 3 cups whole wheat flour, one cup white flour, one packet of dry yeast, a pinch of salt. Simple right?

When I took it out of the oven I knew I had a problem. It felt really heavy. After I let it cool I went to try to cut it. It was like attempting to saw though a brick. I'm half tempted to give it to a mason to see if it could be the key stone to a home that's being built.

Needless to say that is the LAST time I attempt to go low fat.
Huh. So that's the recipe for dwarf bread.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Try googling vegan recipes. A lot of low-fat stuff is found this way.

Have you ever heard of Applesauce Bread?

Or vegan pancakes (mmmm - my favorite)

...and I am not a vegan.

OR since we are on the subject - one of my favorite things to make:

Have any of you ever heard of a Diet Soda Cake?

Where you simply mix in a can of diet soda (any flavor but I prefer 7-Up) to a box of cake mix. Oh yeah. I believe my aunt found this recipe from Weight Watchers.
I've done applesauce bread, and I LOVE it. However, due to the oddly restrictive diet this woman is on apparently apples are out. Too much sugar.

As for Diet Soda Cake, I've not made that because I'm really sensitive to artificial sweeteners. They give me massive headaches. I've even had to switch toothpaste because it contained a chemical form of sugar.

Originally Posted by Satai

Huh. So that's the recipe for dwarf bread.
Tell me about it! I didn't even know it existed, but now I do. Perhaps I could saw it up and place it in the pack of a hobbit going on a journey....

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've made some great whole wheat bread recipes, both vegan and non-vegan. www.recipezaar.com is a nice site, because you can read reviews. I second buying the WW bread and removing it's plastic wrap.. she'll never know!