Inside/outside - am I cruel?

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a discussion (a.k.a., argument) with my aunt the other evening about our cats and basically, she told me I was being cruel for not letting Niko outside. She claims that in order for her cats to lead a full life, they need to hunt, stalk, and play in the grass.. experience nature. She's owned cats for many years and all of them have been indoor/outdoor; she basically made me feel as though I was doing him a terrible injustice. Niko is my first and only, and just the thought of letting him fend for himself out in the 'wild' (okay, so I'm in a metropolitan area, it's still wild to him) makes me a little queasy.

I don't /want/ to let him out of the house- I don't want him to catch an illness, get into a fight, get lost, hurt, hit by a car, stolen, etc. Hell, I think if I ever did let him out, I'd be worried sick and waiting at the door until he came back. While part of me agrees that he would have a great time, full of enrichment and experiences, the rest of me refuses to even give it consideration.

I've tried the leash thing, but he wants nothing to do with putting on a harness/collar, so I stopped trying. Is she right, am I denying him a feline rite of passage and being an over-protective momma? Am I depriving him of experiences he should be having to have a fulfilling life?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats are better off indoors, unless they go out on harness or in an enclosure. So long as they have plenty of toys, scratch posts/trees etc. they can be perfectly happy (not to mention safe!) indoors.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, the debate that goes on and on!

You have to do what is right for you AND your cat. That's what it comes down to. We have indoor only cats, and I have been told off by people for not allowing them outside, but hey, my cats are happy inside and I am not going to come home one night and find they have been hit by a car on our very busy road (as happened to one of our neighbors).

Don't worry about what your aunt says. As long as your cat appears happy and stimulated, he is probably fine. And hey, the Humane Society of the US recommends leaving your cat indoors (see below article). A friend of mine who has always had indoor cats always whips that one out whenever people claim she is harming her cats.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ca...out_there.html

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lets see - that may have been ok 20-30 yrs ago, but in this day, its more dangerous to let your cat outside to roam with no supervision.

Except for the couple of barn cats (and a lot of them didn't survive the 4 wheels on the road), ALL my cats have been indoors.

They were happy, healthy and didn't miss being outside as they never went there. They also didn't have fleas, worms, FELV, FIP, and other possible diseases from feral cats. they also lived to their teens.

Just tell your aunt that you choose to keep your cats safe and healthy INDOORS and do not wish to talk about it anymore.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t agree either. My cats through out my life have never been out doors, nor will they ever unless they are on a leash or in an enclosure AND I am watching.

My cats hunt and play just fine, in fact just this morning my babies woke me up at 4am hunting and stalking! Lol.

My boys are safe, clean, and happy. This is one of those debates where people will always have their own opinions but I prefer to know that my guys are safe.

A friend of mine back home who was a vet told me that the life expectancy for an indoor cat is 12 years, and 5 for an outdoor cat. The reasons are traffic, poisons such as pesticides, old garbage, garage items such as oil and car fluids, poisonous plants. Then there are diseases, FIV, Feline leukemia, infected cuts from getting in fights and getting dirty. Then parasites, fleas, mites. Along with wild animals that can kill them… And the worst, which is unfortunately not uncommon, mean people that will hurt animals for fun.

I know there is another side to this, so if your cats outdoors thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s your choice and I am totally not against it I am just writing why MY cats donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t go out.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see why you aunt might say that, but I don't think it is right of her to say you are being cruel. That is a very strong word, and I doubt that you are guilty of cruelty!
Mine happens to go out. He also happens to be an ex-feral and we have 14 acres of our own land. Are there dangers? Yes, but he is protected from things like fleas and ticks with medication. As for some of the other dangers which I know are out there, I believe he is savvy enough to be able to cope with them. And I am convinced he would be unhappy as an indoor cat. But never would it occur to me to say that someone who has made a different choice based on their home, lifestyle and cat is being cruel. I think we all love our cats and want what is best for them.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beturtlement

I don't /want/ to let him out of the house- I don't want him to catch an illness, get into a fight, get lost, hurt, hit by a car, stolen, etc.
If you believe these are legitimate concerns in the area where you live, the answer is obvious. Don't let other people make up your mind for you.

Cats do not need to go outside to be happy. It is certainly true that the outdoors offer lots of fun and stimulation for a cat. But is is also true that it offers lots of dangers. I have noticed that cats that have been forced to live exclusively outdoors, with no human aid, often adjust very well to living exclusively indoors. I think they appreciate the safety and comfort of the indoors. Indoor/outdoor cats have the best of both worlds but while they are outdoors they are exposed to some dangers that they may be able to escape by retreating indoors, but there are some dangers they will not be able to escape.

I have just seen too many cats come to horrific ends outdoors. I would never consider for an instant letting mine out.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabitha has always been an indoor/outdoor cat and she would really hate being indoors all the time. having said that, she spends far more time inside since my rb cat janet crossed the bridge last oct. he would bully her and i now know that led to her spending most of her time outside. she would be in overnight but spend the day in the garden. she really only goes outside for the loo now or a sunbathe.

milo and shinobi are indoors only though. milo will have a trot round the garden on his harness occasionally but he isn't bothered about going out. shinobi was found as a stray at 12 weeks and is terrified of strangers so i would never let him out for that reason alone.

i was cutting the grass the other day and milo and shinobi sat at the french doors watching me. i know some people would say that they wanted to be outside. what they actually wanted was to be with me. as soon as i came back in they followed me into the lounge.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The choice is yours to make. There will definitely be a lot of opinions, but you must choose what's right for you and Niko. Your aunt can simply respect your decision.

I love my cats too much to risk them being outside and exposed to all the dangers. They are super happy at home.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are strictly indoor cats.I live in the city and there are too many dangers.Not to mention,back when we were growing up we had lots of cats and they were always indoor/outdoor and well one was poisoned (that was a hard day,especially since I found him!),a few were constatnly pregnant and having kittens (back then we didn't know better) and well one got all kinds of diseases and was always cut up from fights and dirty.He died at age 6,from a repistory illness and feline AIDS!!! 6 yrs young and dead.

So because of that,I will never let my two outside.Benjamin does try and get out now,but I make sure he stays in and well hopefully when he gets neutered,it will keep him from trying to get out.

It is your descision.Who cares what your aunt thinks? These cats are YOURS,not hers and you care about their safety.I do know of some cats that go outside and are perfectly fine,but really it is your descision and if you decide to keep them in,your not being cruel!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer cats to be indoors personally. I do realize that some cats are better off outdoors but only if that is all they have ever known. I keep all of my cats inside except Noira because she destroys things to get outside. Bowie also cries at the door when she has to go to the bathroom and I let her out to the front lawn/bushes and she goes and comes right back in. Both these cats have identification and their rabies tags on them just in case.

So no, if your cat isn't showing interest in going outside, he is better off indoors.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom has a cat that was found as a stray.She had two kittens and once they were adopted,the cat was spayed.She was outdoors her whole life and she doesn't even care about going out anymore.She is quite content living inside.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you are not cruel - especially if you're enriching your cat's indoor environment by multiple levels to jump on, window seats, nice organic wheat grass to eat (honestly, I'm spending more on my cats' food budget than mine, lately), toys, and lots of love and attention from you. And, I suspect your vet (and mine, and just about any US vet in current practice) would be backing you up 100%.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

My mom has a cat that was found as a stray.She had two kittens and once they were adopted,the cat was spayed.She was outdoors her whole life and she doesn't even care about going out anymore.She is quite content living inside.
I suspect, but can't prove, that given the choice of an all outdoor life or an all indoor life most cats would choose all indoors. Between 2 friends they have 3 cats that were formerly totally outdoor cats with regular care and feeding by humans. All 3 are now totally indoor cats and none have any interest at all in the outdoors. One is even a feral. She prefers indoor life (yes, my friend has a feral cat living inside his house) despite that indoors she has to deal with 2 resident males that periodically attack her. One of the others that another friend has also has to deal with a resident male (a Ragdoll if you can believe it) that attacks her. She is mostly confined to their master bedroom and yet never attempts to get outdoors when given the opportunity.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I think cats are better off indoors, unless they go out on harness or in an enclosure. So long as they have plenty of toys, scratch posts/trees etc. they can be perfectly happy (not to mention safe!) indoors.
Absolutely! I will never let Trout outside by herself..no way I would risk her safety. She is a perfectly happy cat

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If keeping your kids out of the traffic is cruel, then yes, you're cruel.

But I don't think so.

I've picked up a number of dead animals out of the road, but it's never been one of MY cats!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you're not being cruel in any way.
Frankly if it were me I'd tell my Aunt to mind her own business, it's your cat and you'll do what you want.

I'd never let any of my babies outside.

Gracie and Lizzie (RIP
) were the kittens of a stray that one of my friends took in, so they've never know the outside.

Annabelle was a semi-feral that I grabbed out of the middle of a busy street...I have no idea how long she was outside ( I suspect that she was someones pet at one time, but they just tossed her out...but it was obvious that she'd been on her own for sometime )
She runs a mile from an open door.

Elliott showed up as a tiny kitten ( no more than 6 to 8 weeks old ) in June of 2005.
When my Husband and I moved into our new home in May of 2006 I spotted Elliott...at that time known as Kidd...the third day we lived here and I knew I had to have him.
I finally talked my Husband into it in November of that year...Elliott was 18 months old at the time and had never known anything but the outdoors.
We brought him in and put him in our spare room...I was scared to death that he'd freak out or spray or not use the litter box...none of that happened.
He did scream for about 15 minutes and that was it, he NEVER sprayed (He was neutered three days after we brought him in ) and he used the litter box within the first half hour or so.
Elliott just had his third Birthday and if there was ever a cat that was born to be inside it's him.
He's not unhappy in the least..none of our cats are.
To be very honest I think that especially Annabelle and Elliott know that they're safe now.
No more dodgeing cars, no more having to run from other cats ( or other animals) who would try to hurt them and no more chance that someone who simply doesn't like cats would harm them in any way.

They have plenty of toys, scratching posts, window seats and nice warm cozy places to sleep...plus they have each other and my Husband, Kids and I to play with them and love them.

Like someone else said and my Vet told me once, that given a choice most cats would rather be indoors.

Sorry I wrote so much, but I feel very strongly...as a lot of memebers here do..that there's no reason in the world why a cat has to go outside.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As one who does allow her cats outside, I need to put my oar in here -- but it's not to agree with your Aunt. She's entitled to decide for her cats, but not for anyone else's. Nor is it appropriate for her to lay a guilt trip on anyone else for their decision. We can only decide for our own situation, as we see it, based on the criteria that are important to us. You love your cat, and you do the best you can for him, and how you accomplish that is your buisness and nobody else's.

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm someone said there that if cats were given the choice to be totally indoor they'd take it - soooo wrong in my humble opinion! My cat gets very upset if he can't go out - he paces up and down and scratches things, not to mention the howling! My parents have had cats all their lives and they've always gone out too - they wait by the door and when you open it they leg it!
But, having said this, it IS a contextual matter. If you're in the UK, no one but NO ONE will judge you for allowing you kitty out - a concept with people in the US really struggle with. It is the 'done' thing in the UK, in the US, it seems to be considered 'cruel' to allow your cats out, not by keeping them in!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't let our kitties out for the same reason. I would be worried sick every second they were outside. There are too many cars and dogs that would kill them in a heart beat. In fact, just last week there was a kitty that had been hit by a car and left on the street in front of my house.
And that cat was one that I fed on a regular basis because she was so skinny!