Now I'm really worried

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I brought Popsie home from the E vet he went and layed down in the closet. Well he just came out and he's walking with his backend real low to the ground. Like his back legs are weak, maybe sore. He went straight to his water bowl because he's real dehydrated. The E vet didn't give him SubQs because I unknowingly declined them. Before they treated him I asked for an estimated and apparently SubQs were considered " any medicines or treatment the vet might deem nessicary" I had no idea SubQs fell under that catagory so I said to just give Popsie an enema. So at his water bowl just now he started pawing at the ground and acting like it was hard to bend down to get a drink. I had to lift the bowl to him and then I eventually elevated so he doesn't have to lean down so far. This isn't a good sign is it?

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. No, that really doesn't sound good. Hopefully he is only severely dehydrated and maybe he also has an electrolyte imbalance that needs immediate treatment.

Sending heartfelt prayers for Popsie.

(((Hugs)))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He went to the vet this morning and had some subqs and a steroid shot to help his appetite. He's a lot better than last night that's for sure, Um, he had an x-ray done and the vet saw some thickening of the stomach wall. A radiologist is going to look at it and see if it might be from a tumor.

dlestarjette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

After I brought Popsie home from the E vet he went and layed down in the closet. Well he just came out and he's walking with his backend real low to the ground. Like his back legs are weak, maybe sore. He went straight to his water bowl because he's real dehydrated. The E vet didn't give him SubQs because I unknowingly declined them. Before they treated him I asked for an estimated and apparently SubQs were considered " any medicines or treatment the vet might deem nessicary" I had no idea SubQs fell under that catagory so I said to just give Popsie an enema. So at his water bowl just now he started pawing at the ground and acting like it was hard to bend down to get a drink. I had to lift the bowl to him and then I eventually elevated so he doesn't have to lean down so far. This isn't a good sign is it?
I'm convinced that some cats have a hard time actually seeing the water in the bowl. My kitty Gryffin does a similar pawing thing--we call it swimming--when he's trying to drink. His own solution, which he does every single time I put out fresh water, is to take a piece of his dry food and put it in the water to help him gauge the depth and where the surface it. Once that piece of food is there, he has no problems and doesn't paw at the ground. Might be something to try.

As for the possibility of a tumor...well, we're going through that with our other cat, Simon, who is eighteen. He just had surgery to remove some tumors on his liver, one of which was pressing onto his tummy and decreasing his appetite. I don't really know what to say about that, except that it scared me to death and tore me up knowing there was that "thing" growing inside him. I just hope that neither you have to go through that.

Nowadays, I'm very cautious about cats and steroids. A few years ago, Simon became diabetic after receiving steroids for bronchitis, and when I was doing some research, steroids can be a cause of diabetes in cats. He had to take insulin shots twice a day for several years, but fortunately is off those now. I'm not saying anything, except that I personally am very apprehensive about allowing the vet to give steroids to my cats.

I really hope that Popsie is doing better, and that they don't find any tumors! Lot's and lots of healing to him.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the vibes. I gave him some wet food ealier and he gobbled it up. I don't think I would turn to steroids as a long term solution.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dlestarjette

I'm convinced that some cats have a hard time actually seeing the water in the bowl. My kitty Gryffin does a similar pawing thing--we call it swimming--when he's trying to drink. His own solution, which he does every single time I put out fresh water, is to take a piece of his dry food and put it in the water to help him gauge the depth and where the surface it. Once that piece of food is there, he has no problems and doesn't paw at the ground. Might be something to try..
Gryffin sounds smart! but dry food that's been moistened can grow bacteria really quickly... you might want to invest in a fountain - i found that mind drink more w/the fountains.
continued healing & on the way for Popsie!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it a Depo Shot? I know alot about that one because Coco gets it sometimes. I hope he dosent have a Tumor. I had a Cat with Borderline Cancer and they had to remove the tumor two times. She was 4 at the time and was Pts at age 11. The tumor never came back after the 2nd time and she was fine. I also was told Coco had Lung Cancer and a bad Heart by a terrible Vet when it was Asthma. I was scared last night when you said he was growling at you and hiding in the closet. Let us know when you find out more.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, on my invoice it says prednisone. I also see they gave him famotidine(Pepcid)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he just ate some more and he also just wee weed on the carpet. He normally good about using his box. It's clean so I don't know what the deal is.