My cat's right side of his face it swollen.

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well My 2 year old male cat has a swollen right "cheek". I took him to the vet yesterday and they ran all kinds of blood tests and they didn't find anything. I also have an appointment to take him back for x-rays (they could not do it yesterday because it was almost towards closing time.) They also gave me antibiotics and all that. The vet said it was probably a tooth abscess. He is not in any kind of pain. The vet touched it while examining it and he started eating today.
So my question is, could this be something else? What else should I ask the vet about?

Any kind of help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have almost the same thing with my kitty over the week. I took him to the vet and they said it may be a tooth abcess. He was given an antibiotic shot and oral antibiotics, but I had to stop giving it to him because he had liquid poo and wasn't eating well. I work with a homeopath and she recommeded a remedy and I gave it to him Friday and his swollen mouth has improved overnight! It actually looks to be almost healed. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You live in Texas. Could it be a spider bite? Those brown recluse spiders are nasty and can do major damage! If it is a brown recluse bite, your cat needs medical attention immediately.

Here is another thread about a member's cat having been bitten by a brown recluse spider in their home.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126888
I did take him to the vet the second I seen he had a swollen cheek. The vet ran all kinds of blood work and told me it wasn't a bite or sting.

dlestarjette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You live in Texas. Could it be a spider bite? Those brown recluse spiders are nasty and can do major damage! If it is a brown recluse bite, your cat needs medical attention immediately.

Here is another thread about a member's cat having been bitten by a brown recluse spider in their home.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126888
I grew up in Texas (over in Baytown, right by you), and I was going to say maybe a bee sting. Years ago, my kitty Inky got stung by something on his face, and he was swollen for a day or so. I don't know if a sting or bit would come up on a blood test or not, though. Depends on what kind of toxins go along with it, I guess.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since you had the tests and they presumably ruled out any sort of growth, it sounds like an abscess or infected wound is probably the cause. In either case, you should see improvement with the antibiotics... in a matter of days, I would think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Since you had the tests and they presumably ruled out any sort of growth, it sounds like an abscess or infected wound is probably the cause. In either case, you should see improvement with the antibiotics... in a matter of days, I would think.
Well Murphy is doing good. He has been on antibiotics and is eating/drinking water. The swelling has gone down a lot.

jaynastar38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi i wanna save a stray cats life but i cant bring it to the vet cause i have no money is there any home remedies for this. cause it has the same problem please please please reply as soon as you can thanks