WOW! How misleading can one company be?

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just replied a question posted in another forum regarding Nature's Recipe and wanted to share.

On their website, a bold statement was made:-

Beef, corn or wheat may create problems with your pet’s digestive system, skin and coat.*

Unlike many other premium pet foods, Nature’s Recipe® has only highly digestible ingredients — never beef, corn or wheat. Plus the right combination of vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients.

And then you check their ingredient list:-

Lamb, corn, corn gluten meal, lamb meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice, dried egg, beet pulp, animal digest, herring meal, dried chicory root, yeast culture, sodium tripolyphosphate, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), potassium chloride, salt, salmon oil, phosphoric acid, choline chloride, malt syrup, taurine, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), L-lysine, L-tryptophan, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract, citric acid (used as a preservative).

Makes you wonder huh?

They did put an * there and mentioned it applies to dog food only - The first statement but not the second statement so one is mislead into believing that all their products are corn and wheat free.

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lots of premium cat food has corn in it. It is one thing to have corn in the food, and quite another to lie about it. The latter is just outrageous. Can someone get them for deceptive advertising?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The * was mentioned in my initial post. It is their following statement that I find misleading:-

Unlike many other premium pet foods, Natureâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s RecipeÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] has only highly digestible ingredients — never beef, corn or wheat. Plus the right combination of vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients.

No * there, better still, they should not generalized and state *premium pet food* - just state as *dog food* and don't place the new cat food banner directly under the statement.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't consider it misleading at all.

They made a statement saying that some pets (dogs) have problems with some ingredients, then go on to say that the food doesn't contain those ingredients.

It only seems logical to me that that second statement about excluding certain ingredients, is in direct correlation to the first statement about some pets not tolerating certain ingredients, which they clearly indicate that they mean "dogs".

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It only seems logical to me that that second statement about excluding certain ingredients, is in direct correlation to the first statement about some pets not tolerating certain ingredients, which they clearly indicate that they mean "dogs".
I looked at their website and that didn't seem obvious to me...

irishcg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that something like 40% of all food products made in the US have some sort of corn based ingredient in them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is WHY you READ the BACK of the bag ... lol... think about organic ... you can pay 5000$ to put organic in your name even if you use NO organic foods in said food...

I would not say misleading but slightly sly marketing