Picked my stray yesterday. Have some questions.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just took in a stray last night. He's a little skinny and was covered in mats. I managed to shave him and clean him up a bit, but I noticed that he has diarrhea. He seems healthy in every other way though. I've been feeding him Go! Natural Grain Free dry and Nature's Variety canned food and I plan on de-worming him tonight.
Could the diarrhea just be from all of the stress that he's been though, or could there be something more serious wrong with him? He also has a sore on his side. Its scabbed over, but is there anything I should be doing for it??
Also, he's been sleeping an awful lot, could that been a bad sign??
By the way, we've named him Mufasa, and he's one HUGE tom cat.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A diet change can certainly cause diarrhea. What are you using for de-worming? I would recommend a vet visit for a general checkup on his health. If you have other cats I would also keep them separated until after the vet check.

He's a handsome fellow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend just lost his job, so we don't have the finances to take him to the vet at the moment. I've been talking to the SPCA, and they might try to help me out. They're hopefully going to give me a call sometime this week.
I'm going to use Strongid-T to de-worm him. I know its not the strongest stuff, but its all I have right now, we're a little pressed for money.
Right now he's in my bathroom, since he's not neutered and I don't want him spraying my appartment. He doesn't seem to mind though as long as you go in every so often to love him.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for taking in this kitty. He really is a big handsome fella! How long have you observe him before taking him? I really hate to burst the bubble but he could be someone's lost pet. Perhaps he has a microchip that might identify him. I am not sure if it is a common practice in Canada but it's worth a try to find out. I know most vet office has scanners that will be able to find out for sure and some shelters do too.

In the meanwhile, you are such a caring person and I hope he is indeed a stray and can continue to live with you. As far as his condition goes, I second that he should really see a vet first and foremost. This is paramount to ensure to safety of your other animals too. Hopefully, the SPCA will get back to you soon and give him a health screen.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we took him into the SPCA this morning to get his shaved, they scanned him for a microchip but didn't find one. We've also gone to almost every house in the neighbourhood, and everyone says that they also see him around, but that they don't believe that he has a home. We gave out our number to everyone just in case they find out something though. I would much prefer that he goes back to his original owners if he has any.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before introducing him to your cats, make sure you FeLV test him. He'll need to be de-wormed (which you have covered) & treated for fleas ( don't use a store brand flea preventative).

The eyes look weepy....does he have a URI? If so, he needs to be on anti-biotics before it gets worse.

Loose stools....could be giarida or coccidia. You'll need to have a stool sample tested. Make sure he has no contact with your cats, don't share litter scoops or boxes as it spreads through the feces. Both giardia & coccidia are common, esp. in the warmer months.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's kept in the bathroom right now and has no contact with my fur babies. I've looked him over for fleas, and he's clean. I guess its still a little cold for them around here. The diarrhea doesn't smell like giardia or coccidia. It smells mostly like stinky kitty poo
. I don't plan on letting him near my guys until he at least has a FeLV test. I'm going to clean his eyes out tonight, and it they get goopy again, then I know that he needs to go to the vet. I'm hoping its just from stress though.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

When we took him into the SPCA this morning to get his shaved, they scanned him for a microchip but didn't find one. We've also gone to almost every house in the neighbourhood, and everyone says that they also see him around, but that they don't believe that he has a home. We gave out our number to everyone just in case they find out something though. I would much prefer that he goes back to his original owners if he has any.
I am glad he has a good home now. Thank you again for saving this kitty. Keep us updated on his condition though. Do you know how old he is? Usually the vet can tell from his dentition.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for taking him in. He may have been dumped off, and eating whatever he could find, which is enough to put anyone's digestive tract in a mess.

Ask if the SPCA has a free/low cost neuter program, too.

Depending on what the sore on his side looks like, be very careful about touching him and then touching your other cats. It could be ringworm or some other catching infection.

Please understand, we love you for loving him. We all want to help you keep him, get him healthy, and not endanger yourself, your bank account, or your previous cats.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Bless you for taking him in. He may have been dumped off, and eating whatever he could find, which is enough to put anyone's digestive tract in a mess.
Java had that problem - took 2 rounds of antibiotics plus a probiotic to get rid of. the vet called it a 'intestinal bacterial overgrowth'
probably from the garbage/whatever she had been eating before i took her in.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd imagine worms are a likely culprit. Drontal, from a vet, only costs $14, and it's very good -- it kills a few different types of worms.

But I agree with those who say this cat needs to be seen by a vet. Call local vets, explain your situation, and I imagine one will be willing to help, either with a payment plan or a reduced rate. In my area, vets that are members of the veterinary association will give a free first check-up to cats adopted from a shelter... they might be willing to do the same for your stray.

Or call your local city shelter. They might be able to tell you about programs that will help.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took him in to get a weight check on him the other day, and he weights 16 1/2 pounds!! They thinks he'll be around 20lbs once he gets some weight back on him. The people there also think that he might have some Main Coon in him somewhere. The girl looked at his canines for free and said that she thinks he's around 4-5 years old.
The sore on his side is healing great. The scab came off yesterday and it looks pretty much healed up. He's also putting on a little weight, and his stool's firming up a bit. He's still very aggitated and always wants outside, but I'm assuming that's because he's not neutered yet, and it is mating season. Hopefully that'll stop once he's neutered.
He is such a sweetheart though, but gosh is he ever big. He tried to steal my pizza off the counter the other day,and he didn't even have to jump up to do it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wicket was 22 lbs at his largest, and he wasn't fat. Some Maine Coon in there, too, I suspect.

aircraft

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like everyone has said, thank you for caring and taking this boy in. He is absolutely beautiful. Even if a tough finanical situation it is nice to hear that you are willing to help. I hope it gets better for you soon.

cat_lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the pic looks like hes bleeding in the eye. you should check with a vet to see if theres anything wrong
. hope that helps! good vibes and i hope all goes well with mufasa!