Pink nose looking pale?

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, so this could just be me being paranoid, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

Shermie's nose doesn't seem to be as "pink" as normal. And sometimes it is dry. His gums also look a little less pink than they normally are. I wouldn't be concerned by somebody threw up the past two nights, I'm not sure if it was Luna or Shermie. I thought maybe it was b/c I gave them both sardine oil and someone got sick from it. Usually my cats never throw up, and never in the volume that was there (about as much as a can of cat food).

I didn't give them any sardine oil last night and have not (as of yet) found any vomit. Both my kitties seem to be acting normal though, playing, socializing, eating, napping, cleaning, using the bathroom, drinking (Shermie drinks frequently, but I think it's b/c he likes fresh water and I put new water out every day. He also likes to drink out of the sink.) So I dunno...is this anything to worry about? Does anyone think that the sardine oil might be making one of them sick?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Cats can be really sensitive to changes in diet so the sardine oil may have not agreed with someone. My cat Much has a pink nose that can vary from being almost white to really pink when she has been active. I would keep an eye on Sherman's food and water intake. If there is something unusual there, then contact your vet.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Cats had Anemia there Gums lost color. You need to see who is getting sick. I would also call the Vet and explain what is happening.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When Chase's nose was really pale they thought he might be anemic or that his blood wasn't pumping as well as it should be. It turned out that both things were fine, but it's probably worth checking out if you're worried or it stays pale a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll definitely keep an eye on it, though it looked pinker last night. Also, what's the deal with the dry/wet nose thing. I know their noses should be wet, but if it's dry (and there are no other weird symptoms) is it bad?

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

...what's the deal with the dry/wet nose thing. I know their noses should be wet...
Well, let's see...

Five healthy cats here, no "wet" noses!

I think, if a cat's nose is "wet", the wetness is caused by a nasal discharge (NOT normal) and/or because the cat is licking it (NOT normal as an ongoing behaviour).

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Well, let's see...

Five healthy cats here, no "wet" noses!

I think, if a cat's nose is "wet", the wetness is caused by a nasal discharge (NOT normal) and/or because the cat is licking it (NOT normal as an ongoing behaviour).
So is the wet nose thing for dogs then? Animals are strange. And cute

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to be an "err on the side of caution" kind of gal. Sometimes a pale nose and gums can be an indication of anemia. A vet checkup wouldn't be a bad idea if you are truly concerned. Vomiting is often a symptom of CRF, and anemia can also be a side effect. However, if your kitty seems to be fine in every other way, it most likely isn't a problem.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pale nose and gums were the first symptom of IMHA in Timotei. It's not very common, and I wouldn't worry in your case, but keep an eye on the situation. If Shermie starts to lose weight or gets a bit orange, take him to the vet ASAP.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I think I need a quick guide to abbreviations because I know FIV and I think I've figured out that CRF means chronic renal failure, but I could be totally wrong. I have no idea what IMHA means....anyone want to shed light on the more common abbreviations? Thanks! (and thanks again for all the advice)

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ok, I think I need a quick guide to abbreviations because I know FIV and I think I've figured out that CRF means chronic renal failure, but I could be totally wrong. I have no idea what IMHA means....anyone want to shed light on the more common abbreviations? Thanks! (and thanks again for all the advice)
IMHA means Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. The body's own immune system starts attacking red blood cells. The cause is usually not known and it is often lethal. But as I said before, it's quite rare in cats and it's not likely that Shermie has it.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

...Also, what's the deal with the dry/wet nose thing. I know their noses should be wet, but if it's dry (and there are no other weird symptoms) is it bad?
OK....so maybe "wet" is like beauty........in the eye of the beholder.....

This link was recently posted in another thread. For me, it blurs the wet/moist description....and, in places, seems to equate wet and "moist"...it does, however, speak to the issue of "discharge"......

(This is not a "recognized" veterinary site.)

So, maybe, now, you'll be completely confused!

summerkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you my kitty Summer's nose is looking pale and I was sooo worried!!