How do you have cats AND plants?!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really like to have more plants in the house, but I don't know how anyone can keep their cats away from their plants?!!! Do you have to buy a certain kind of plant? I just don't know!

I have a purple passion plant in a hanging basket because I'm possitive the cats will eat it if I put it anywhere else!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't keep plants..there is no point. Also Trout almost died once already from eating flowers...so I won't be owning any more plants ever because of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I don't keep plants..there is no point. Also Trout almost died once already from eating flowers...so I won't be owning any more plants ever because of that.
Oh my gosh!!!! Poor Trout! I can see why you don't have any plants! That's so scary!

I looked up my purple passion plant and on a "vet site" it's says my plant isn't toxic to cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish mine wouldn't eat them. I even have cat grass for them!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Simple: You don't.

Wally is an avid plant nibbler, so oat/wheat grass is the only "plant" ever found in my home. I keep saying I'm going to install hanging plant holders, but I never get around to it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Cactus and they will not touch it. They learned fast that it would hurt them. I also have one Tropical Plant that is out of reach. I had Catnip but Coco wrecked it. I have Cat Grass too.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to have lots of plants but the kittens have systematically destroyed nearly all of them.
so if they can't be up high then they don't survive!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 hanging plants in the kitchen. All my other plants are at my desk at work. LOL. I also have a million outside plants as my cats are inside only.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have bamboo and mini roses. i have them on the cabinets and in the kitchen window where the cats know they are not allowed.

i did have a norfolk pine that chloe destroyed. she gnawed about 2ft of from it. i found little pine bits EVERYWHERE even almost 2 yrs later after i got rid of it. i found them in my laundry, on her, in my socks, the carpet, my bookbag, my moms apt,...EVERYWHERE! they were prickly too. i felt bad because i had to pull them out of her fur and know they hurt. i was afraid she'd eat them and they'd hurt her so i got rid of it. i wouldve kept it if id had a shelf where she couldnt have gotten to it.

my kitties are pretty good about not bothering plants if theyve gotten in trouble, i try to keep plants (like catnip) down at their level that they can get into so they know which ones they can mess with.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that it's just Spaz, I've started keeping plants again.

Well, no, I've always kept plants, but I kept them outside during the warm months, and behind closed doors when inside under grow lights on timers.

But since Spaz has never bothered any houseplants in all her 14 years, I now keep houseplants indoors, unprotected.
It's just never been an issue with her.

brookey326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had to completly remove all plants after one of my cats ate a whole bamboo plant. This really sucks for me because I love plants. I can only have them on my desk at work for now. One day I would like a green house in my backyard where I can grow all the plants I wish

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch has been known to chew on cactus' so no plants here, unless shut in a room that is cat-free.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the only plants I normally have are cacti and aloe the cats leave those alone!
Most of them are up high or above the sink where the cats don't go, but both kittens did climb up into the high window where my aloe and one cactus were and they quickly decided those were not good to play with.
Right now though I have a number of herb and veggie seedlings in the living room because it's not warm enough yet to move them outside. At first the kittens seemed interested (and at one point decided to climb on the plant tray) but I gave them my I'm-not-happy tone of voice and told them to leave it alone, and now they just ignore it. I'm not sure if it's because of being told off or because they sniffed them and realized they weren't tasty, but either way I'm happy!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't - Charlie decided to help himself a few times to roses and knocking the vase over on the table when he pulled them out. So we don't have plants in the house - all plants are outside.

If DH gives me flowers, I take them to work next day and put them on my desk

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hang our plants or have them on the top of an inaccessible shelf. It works great. Right now we're down to 1 plant, and that one is hung.

Spider plants are my fave, and I'm actually going to buy one or two this week at the school's plant sale. I miss having them.

Plants are also really good for indoor air pollution if you can keep them out of kitty's reach.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to get rid of all my floor level plants. The only indoor plants I have now are in hanging baskets that they can't reach.