Austrailia

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is it like there? What about the climate? Mild winters? Hot summers? Do you drive on the left or right side of the road? How much for a gallon of milk? If you were to take kittys or dogs over there, is there a quarantine period? Just curious...we might know some people that might be going there to live for a while.......any info would be helpful!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh susie!
Australia is wonderful!

We have three climates, the tropics,the snow and he desert.

It barely ever snows in australia but it just does a little bit on one of the mountains down south.

We dont do gallons we do Litres of milk, last time we checked it was $1,89 AUD.

Quarantine, AUstralia has strict rules, you need 9 months of preparation before entering australia, if you complete all forms and vaccinations on time, the animals stay in quarantine for 30 days.. if you are rushes they will have to stay in longer and can take upto 250 days.
For more info I can give you more details via Pm

Australia drives on the left! Just like the UK

We are moving back to Australia in September and i have to say that its a hassle with the quarantine treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info Fran..........9 month quarantine though!!?????

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Thanks for the info Fran..........9 month quarantine though!!?????
No - 9 months preparation. So they need to start organising shots, import permits, vet certificates and booking the stay at the quarantine station 9 months in advance. The actual stay in quarantine itself is 30 days. There's a link here to explain everything they need - http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

And it's spelt AustrALIA
Australia has a fabulous climate I think! Of course it depends where you live. Brisbane (and all of Queensland) has mild winters, and hot, humid summers. Sydney is probably similar. Canberra has hot, dry summers, and colder winters (you see 4 definite seasons), Melbourne you get 4 seasons in one day
It's also got cool winters and hot summers, but can be pretty wet. I don't know a lot about the Adelaide climate, but I think it's a pretty dry heat in summer, and a pretty mild winter, and Perth is pretty warm al year round. I think the cost of food is more expensive in Australia, but I find it's fresher and better quality.

Public transportation is generally not too bad, unemployment rates aren't too bad, and I think in general Australians have a good lifestyle. I haven't really found living in the US too different to living in Australia - everyone in the US just talks funny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amigo, I can't imagine moving to a foreign country, no matter how nice it may be! it's halfway around the world for me!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd move to another country in a second if it was as easy as just packing up and moving! (I dont think they just let you in because you want a new experience though). I cant imagine having my critters in quarantine for a month, I'd die! Are they quarantined in your home or a facility? Can you spend time with them or is it a no contact quarantine?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Are they quarantined in your home or a facility? Can you spend time with them or is it a no contact quarantine?
They go to a Government quarantine facility. Australia, being an island country has very strict quarantine laws, and can't risk bringing in new pests and diseases. The animals are monitored very carefully for any signs of illness. If fter 30 days, they're all clear they are released into your care.

I used to work for AQIS (quarantine), so got a behind the scenes tour of the Sydney quarantine facility, and knew a bunch of staff there, and they look after the animals well. They are all animal people, the facilities are pretty good, and I'd actually rather have them in the quarantine facility than at a pet boarding facility. You can also go and visit regularly to make sure the kitties are doing fine