TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Can anyone recommend a product that deters cats from peeing on furniture?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can anyone recommend a product that deters cats from peeing on furniture?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
We have 6, and this behavior has developed over time to the point where they go in many places. Is there something I can spray or apply to furniture/areas that will discourage peeing? The litter boxes are kept clean, btw. Thanks for any suggestions.
post #2 of 14
Have you had them checked for urinary problems? Have you tried changing their litter to some other type they might prefer? Have you got at least one box per cat plus one? Are the boxes near their food (not a good idea)?
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larke View Post
Have you had them checked for urinary problems? Have you tried changing their litter to some other type they might prefer? Have you got at least one box per cat plus one? Are the boxes near their food (not a good idea)?
I haven't had them checked for urinary tract issues, no. It appears to me (and I could be wrong) to stem from the introduction into the house of my wife's cat, who battled for alpha initially with the dominant cat in the house at the time, engaging in marking battles. Since then he's battled with another long-time cat of mine who he seems to have issues with, and so the marking continues.
I haven't changed their litter, its the same they've used for years.
The 6 share 3 boxes, is that considered a practice that can cause peeing outside of litter boxes?
The boxes are not near food.
post #4 of 14
Definitely get more boxes! They sometimes like different ones depending on what the 'business' of the moment is, and they like to think they have a box no one else's using, or else that they're dominating someone else by going on top of theirs, etc. etc. You need one for each at least (I know, I know!).
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larke View Post
Definitely get more boxes! They sometimes like different ones depending on what the 'business' of the moment is, and they like to think they have a box no one else's using, or else that they're dominating someone else by going on top of theirs, etc. etc. You need one for each at least (I know, I know!).
Hmmm, I suppose that could be a factor, although I haven't really had that be a problem over the years. I had three share 1 for several years, for example, without any issues. I appreciate the help, though, I guess I'm looking for a magic bullet that'll save furniture and end the persistent urine smell.
post #6 of 14
My 6 have nine boxes, so I would agree with saying that you need more. I cant suggest anything to keep them away but Natures Miracle Oxy Orange works good for cleaning up the smell.
post #7 of 14
definately more boxes!!!
at least one cat has reached the breaking point...
post #8 of 14
you need to have at least one box per cat, and most people recommend one more. Also, if one cat got mad and peed somewhere, and you didn't get the smell out all the way, the other cats will think its ok to go there, even if they don't have behavioral issues. This means getting down to the pad of the carpet, even to whatever is underneath, and getting the smell out.
I have 7 cats. Oscar has been battling for alpha cat position, and losing, since he showed up as a stray in July. He started peeing about a month ago. He was checked for UTI, he's clean, so we have chaked it up to behavioral. He is now on amitriptyline, which is an anti depressant. You should take your cats to the vet and first have them all checked for a UTI. Then try different things, like Feliway diffusers, Cat Attract litter (works wonders). Then discuss drugs. Oscars amitriptyline is a human drug that is on the $4 generics list. So for a whole year it will only cost me about $50. Not too bad, considering I don't have to crawl around on the floor with a blacklight anymore looking for spots he's peed on.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Well, the consensus sounds like more litter boxes, even if that's a bit inconsistent with what i'd experienced previously. That litter may be a help as well, thanks very much for the suggestions, it's appreciated.
post #10 of 14
definitely try it. Its called Cat Attract and can be found at most specialtypet stores. I had a foster litter of 5 kittens one time who went everywhere but in the box. I got the cat attract and when I came home from work they had all peed and pooped several times in the box, none outside, and they were sleeping in the litterbox. For the next few weeks I couldn't keep them out of the damned box. They played, slept, pooped and peed in the box. Good luck! But remember, also you have to get ALL the smell out before they're really stop peeing.
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit E Cat View Post
definitely try it. Its called Cat Attract and can be found at most specialtypet stores. I had a foster litter of 5 kittens one time who went everywhere but in the box. I got the cat attract and when I came home from work they had all peed and pooped several times in the box, none outside, and they were sleeping in the litterbox. For the next few weeks I couldn't keep them out of the damned box. They played, slept, pooped and peed in the box. Good luck! But remember, also you have to get ALL the smell out before they're really stop peeing.
Thanks, hopefully the Petsmart by me has it, sounds like it's laced with kitty crack
post #12 of 14
You need to clean the soiled areas thoroughly with a product that breaks down the enzymes that kitty can smell but you can't. Get a blacklight, and anything that glows, attack it with something like Nature's Miracle Just for Cats. I know there are others on the market, but that is the only one I have used.
post #13 of 14
I have a question (sorry to hijack) - will ANY black light work to find pee stains??

Benjamin sometimes pees on the carpet and I would like to find the stains and work on getting the smell out.Also the same goes for dogs,as some of my fosters have peed on the floor.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirkitty View Post
You need to clean the soiled areas thoroughly with a product that breaks down the enzymes that kitty can smell but you can't. Get a blacklight, and anything that glows, attack it with something like Nature's Miracle Just for Cats. I know there are others on the market, but that is the only one I have used.
Thanks, appriciated
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Can anyone recommend a product that deters cats from peeing on furniture?