Yay!! Paris!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some of you didnt like Paris when you went there, but i just booked a flight and a hotel and i am super excited! Mainly because we are going to disney land! i have been wanting to go there since i was like.. 7 years old!

Yayayayay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Wow! This is so exciting. I've never been to Paris but from what I heard from others, Parisians are not nearly as bad as most people think.

When are you going?

Do you speak any French?
We are going in June, just for the weekend.

I don't speak french but i do understand it due to italian and spanish, and from some of my collegues at work since i work in three language schools.

I will ask my collegue to give me some notes and good frases for when i go!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Ok, here's what you need to know:

"Bonjour"
(Hello)

"Ou sont les toilettes?"
(Where are the bathrooms?)

"Une bouteille de vin s'il-vous-plait"
(A bottle of wine please)

That should be enough for an interesting weekend
honey doesnt like wine, i guess ill be drinking on my own!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Phrase #2 should be...

"Ou se trouve le W.C?"

The most important phrase you can know:

"Parlez plus lentement, je ne comprends pas bien."

Speak more slowly, I don't understand very well.

Just a hint. If you start in anything other than French, you're going to have a rough time. If you start in French, they will switch to another language for you much more easily.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we will be going through France on our way to England just so I can say I have been there.
I don't know much French, but my mom did.

I hope you enjoy your weekend in Paris, Fran! When are you going?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I think we will be going through France on our way to England just so I can say I have been there.
I don't know much French, but my mom did.

I hope you enjoy your weekend in Paris, Fran! When are you going?
The weekend before you get here

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in Paris a few years ago most person can speak some English so it shouldn't be so bad!! Have fun at EuroDisney....

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paris is my favourite city in the whole world, and I have travelled extensively. One reason I came here was to be near it and I am only two hours away by train. BUT I hate EuroDisney. It is tacky and touristy and horribly expensive. In a weekend what will you be able/want to see?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh susan, im sorry you had a terrible experience.

We will be getting a train ticket and just going around the city, the eiffle tower is a must see, and then we will decide from there. (get a map from the hotel and go around from there)

We will arrive on friday morning and leave Sunday night so it doesnt give us much time. But at least explore the city on friday and the sunday and be at Euro Disney on the saturday.

Buy little touristy things, eat the bread and crossaints. We dont plan on spending much as we are on a budget, but we have to travel to as many cities before we go back to Australia. I am afraid I might never be able to come back, and if i do Europe will have lost its touch.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just Walk! In that short time don't even try to go to any museums ( I might make an exception for le Musee d'Orsay which is amazing), though as you walk try to take in the top of the pyramid at the Louvre and the entrance hall to the museum underneath. There are some great shops there too, underground with good quality souvenirs. Great fun too to walk along the river and see all the old book and postcard stalls, plus the beautiful bridges which have inspired so many painters, poets and song writers. A trip to Montmartre is worthwhile, to visit the basilica and get the views of 'le tout Paris'. Good food, cheap and plentiful there too.

On Sunday walk round the Isle de la Cite with Notre Dame and the wonderful flower and bird market. Then cross the river and look back at the old prison of the Tuileries. And the Saint- Chapelle has the best stained glass windows.

Most people find that climbing the Eiffel Tower is a disappointment and expensive, so I would just walk around it underneath and see the gardens. The student quarter of Boulevard St Michel is great for cheaper cafes and a fun atmosphere. If you decide to splash out take a river trip on a 'bateau-mouche', though avoid the ones that offer you lunch as they are a rip-off.

Enjoy it! I can never get enough of Paris.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Just Walk! In that short time don't even try to go to any museums ( I might make an exception for le Musee d'Orsay which is amazing), though as you walk try to take in the top of the pyramid at the Louvre and the entrance hall to the museum underneath. There are some great shops there too, underground with good quality souvenirs. Great fun too to walk along the river and see all the old book and postcard stalls, plus the beautiful bridges which have inspired so many painters, poets and song writers. A trip to Montmartre is worthwhile, to visit the basilica and get the views of 'le tout Paris'. Good food, cheap and plentiful there too.

On Sunday walk round the Isle de la Cite with Notre Dame and the wonderful flower and bird market. Then cross the river and look back at the old prison of the Tuileries. And the Saint- Chapelle has the best stained glass windows.

Most people find that climbing the Eiffel Tower is a disappointment and expensive, so I would just walk around it underneath and see the gardens. The student quarter of Boulevard St Michel is great for cheaper cafes and a fun atmosphere. If you decide to splash out take a river trip on a 'bateau-mouche', though avoid the ones that offer you lunch as they are a rip-off.

Oh Jenny those are excellent tips! i will write it all down so i can get to all the places you suggested!
We have decided not to go up the Eiffel tower because since i turned 20 i am really afraid of heights. But at least see it and be around it is just a bonus!
I have seen it before when i was 5 but i dont remember much of it!

We plan on just walk walk walk around the city anyway i presume its just like Rome that you need to keep walking to see the art and old buildings , we wont be taking any taxies

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

These are great tips. I think we may only be in Paris a few hours, but I can at least say I have been there and take tons of pics before going on to England. I already told my dad I will need a vacation after this vacation because of the ambitious schedule he has us on. I need to start making up an itinerary.